Water pump without tank is allowed, just not recommended !

thvima

Actually, like many things here in English, "should" often really means "must", the difference is often lost.

What we really need is the Thai language version, do you have a link to where you found that snippet please?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Actually, like many things here in English, "should" often really means "must", the difference is often lost.

What we really need is the Thai language version, do you have a link to where you found that snippet please?

This is the original Thai text taken from https://pwa.co.th/contents/faq

• ผู้ใช้น้ำไม่ควรติดตั้งปั๊มน้ำโดยตรงจากเส้นท่อ ควรปล่อยให้น้ำประปาลงบ่อพักน้ำเสียก่อน แล้วจึงสูบน้ำขึ้น จากบ่อพักไปใช้ การติดตั้งปั๊มน้ำ โดยตรงจากเส้นท่อ อาจทำให้ท่อ และมาตรวัดน้ำชำรุดได้ง่าย รวมทั้งเป็นการทำให้ผู้ใช้น้ำรายอื่นเดือดร้อนด้วย การมีถังหรือบ่อพักน้ำสำรองในบ้าน ประมาณ 500 - 1,000 ลิตร จะทำให้เกิดความมั่นใจว่า ท่านมีน้ำประปาใช้ตลอดเวลา ถึงแม้จะมีท่อประปาแตกอยู่นอกบ้านก็ตาม

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, my Thai oracle says that the wording is definiely "should not" and not "must not".

So, you won't be locked up for pumping from the mains.

But they really don't want you to.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  bypass all regs  by drilling my own deepwater wells, I  can then have a donkey walking round a circular  path  pumping  if  I choose, one great thing about  Thailand is the ability to set  yourself  up to be separate from the mains for water/ sewage etc

However, there are also regulations you have to abide by and permissions you have to apply for when drilling your own deep-water well, so you really only exchange one set of regulations for another ????.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sophon said:

However, there are also regulations you have to abide by and permissions you have to apply for when drilling your own deep-water well, so you really only exchange one set of regulations for another ????.  

Not really,  the driller  did  all that for me about 10 years  ago, probably he didnt even bother. For sewage it was  only  about 2  years  ago that there was any hint of regs  around here in rural  Thailand, most just dig a hole throw in a few concrete rings with an open bottom ( I didnt) and off  you go. I used cocnrete rings with a sealed bottom and sides (bitumen) for KRAP  which then overflows the liquid into a second set of  rings which runs into a leach field. Each set is  about  8 foot  deep, the leach filed is very large

IMAG1455.jpg

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sophon said:

Well ( no pun ) if you are inferring compliance with the "Groundwater Act, BE 2520 (1977) then I can assure you nobody in our Amphur, no one, even considers compliance. In fact when I raised the issue about 8 years ago with people who look after our water they had never heard of it. So in essence there is no control up here as to what you drill and where nor depth and abstraction rates. So perhaps you can provide us with links to support your argument in addition to what I have quoted. as I would be interested.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Well, my Thai oracle says that the wording is definiely "should not" and not "must not".

So, you won't be locked up for pumping from the mains.

But they really don't want you to.

I fight many times with english to thai definition for words SHOULD MUST and CANNOT because in thai these words do not always swap around easily like english

the water company tranzlation from thai to enlish online give the words SHOULD NOT but a thai person can see these words as I MUST NOT DO THIS

I am not sure how strong this rules for water pumps really is and a call to the water office engineering is required for true meaning but how rule is interpret might change between area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, kamalabob2 said:

A great way to ruin a water pump, cause you repair bills, and to pull in foreign matter in pipes is to be an OVERLY frugal and short sighted person. Yes you can cause only trouble by pumping directly from the mains (which do not always have water pressure, or water period, due to many reasons) into your home. A great way to harm your modern front load washing machine or any modern full size dishwasher.  A good quality sandstone water tank(s) to "store" water from the mains, could outlive most forum members. It is so simple to have a water tank, then the water pumped to your home AFTER the water storage tank.  You can do whatever you feel like in Thailand, but do not come crying about how your fancy front load washing machine, or full size dishwasher, has issues and how your water pump motor has burned out from "run dry".  You enjoy freedoms from inspections in Thailand, yet your water pump and/or front loading washing machine will feel ill effects sooner than later.  I can say this front a point of six years billing for water pump repairs, and once it was determined the person was pumping directly from the mains, I showed them the "diagram" in EVERY modern mainstream water pump brochure.  I fronted funds for a couple of front load washing machines in the village for relatives and when the washing machines had issues the Samsung or LG team would point out the village relatives had no water storage tanks.  Getting people to consider buying a water tank is no longer my mission, but I know from real on the ground experience the pitfalls to the expat who neglects to spend 4000 baht on a nice long lasting water tank.  I helped hundreds of expats to enjoy good water pressure by suggesting they buy a 2000 liter water tank, or connect two tanks together, and then the modern name brand automatic water pump, so they have plenty of water for when water is NOT in the mains.  I was born in a town where no one in the city on municipal water service, had water storage tanks, and no one I know had a water pump. Hence I understand when expats building or renting their first home in rural Thailand are "surprised" they really should consider buying a tank and a water pump. We are no longer in Kansas.  I pump water for this home that is stored in two 2000 liter tanks. I pump water to lawn sprinklers that is stored in a 1500 liter water tank. I filter water for the home, and do not filter water for the garden. 

https://www.buriramhome.com/buriram-three-car-garage/      I lived previously in a 2000 baht a month rental unit where I first learned of the reason to "Buy a water storage tank & water pump) if I wanted a steady supply of water in a modest home that had one bathroom

I have two tanks on the ground, one on the roof. Main fills the ground tank, pump it up to the roof tank...

My front-loader shuts off when pressure is low...

• Like 1