Thai Drive License and Theory Exam

zhounan

47 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

First, far and away, most people here seem to drive fine to me, so when you claim things like 90% you sound like a fool. You could well not be a fool, but comments like this make it sound that way. In a county of seventy million people how long would it take, and how far would one have to drive to see 90% of Thai drivers anyway? I've been driving here every day for over twenty years and I doubt very much I've seen even 1% of them 

Second, you make comments like "...these people..." in reference to Thais, it makes  you sound like a bigot. Again, you may not be a bigot, but you sound like one.

Third, you seemed to be claiming that regardless of the level of training given to Thais, they would be unable to drive "correctly'. That you (apparently) believe this indicates that either: A. You are indeed a bigot and believe that Thais are truly an inferior people, or that B. You are indeed a fool that believes there is something really difficult about driving, or C. You are both a bigot and a fool. 

Finally, to be clear, I do not believe you to be a bigot or a fool. I do not know you. Please do not get all bent and claim I am calling you names, I am not. You could well be a great guy, I have no idea. I am just pointing out what your comments make you sound like. 

Pretty much agree with your comment , and I'll add one more observation; reverse parking. I would estimate about only 5% of drivers in the Uk reverse park , here in Bangkok / Nonthaburi it's more like 50-60%.  There are many people in the UK that have admitted they can't reverse park and watching them in some supermarket car parks is a strain on my patience.

There were many companies I visited back 'home' that insisted you reverse park as it's a lot safer for pedestrians. We have very large vehicles and my (Thai) wife's parking and driving  is excellent, as is most of her family.

Only 1 problem....roundabouts! Luckily there aren't many.

46 minutes ago, DaLa said:

There are many people in the UK that have admitted they can't reverse park and watching them in some supermarket car parks is a strain on my patience.

Strange, how did they pass their UK driving test if the can't reverse park ?

when I took mine  I had to reverse park ( parallel parking between two other cars)  and reverse round a corner without going more than 18 inches

( could have been 12 inches ) from the curb  with a "department of transport"  official sat in the passenger seat eagle eyed watching every move.

It's a much more rigorous test than the Thai off road on your own practical driving test  which I recently spent a whole afternoon observing mostly Thai car and motorbike drivers doing at my local Department of Land Transportation..there was one young car driver who spent literally 10 minutes trying to parallel park his car  it was only stopped when the official came out of his little observation booth and told him to  go on to the next part of the test.

Another guy in a beat up old car  drove round the course at break neck speed did everything ok as far as I could see  but was told he went too fast...come back tomorrow and try again ????

On 6/18/2021 at 6:03 PM, zhounan said:

Yes, I know, but I wanted to sign up anyway because there was a big discount and because in my country people drive in the opposite direction, so I need practice.

May I ask how much pay for the Driving school after the huge Discount? My son just signed up at a driving school with English speaking teacher and he pay 9,800 Baht for 10x Driving hours with their cars and 5 hours theory lessons, including the cost for the Test and DL it self. (he do not have Driving license since before)

25 minutes ago, johng said:

Strange, how did they pass their UK driving test if the can't reverse park ?

I believe the term in this instance is being used to describe reversing into a standard parking space (something personally I prefer not doing as it normally hinders access to the boot).

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:10 PM, Yellowtail said:

I think the only real issues driving on the opposite side of the road are:

1. Looking the wrong way when pulling out onto a not so busy road from a parking lot/side road. 

2. Using the windshield wipers rather than the turn-signals .

It was much easier to get used to than I thought it would be...

For me, only real issue is the 'feel' of the car. As I cam used to sitting on the left side and. Now it is hard for me to estimate how much space I have left on the left and I tend to drive close to the ditch. I hit a dude with a mirror when in the UK first time long time ago.

• Like 1

Anyone over 60 and retired here should not even consider an ICE car or motorbike.  Get a 500W electric scooter (no licence needed) if you really cannot walk to the nearest baht bus.  Better yet, help the many suffering Thais by paying 35-50 baht to Grab or Bolt taxis to go to the market or mall

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Anyone over 60 and retired here should not even consider an ICE car or motorbike.  Get a 500W electric scooter (no licence needed) if you really cannot walk to the nearest baht bus.  Better yet, help the many suffering Thais by paying 35-50 baht to Grab or Bolt taxis to go to the market or mall

Why is that? 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why is that? 

You do not need the frustration, the distractions, the responsibilities (gas, maintenance, insurance, licensing)  IMO.  Everyone seems to have this love affair with personal transportation.  Yes I had it as well for 45+ years, but I needed a car for work and family responsibilities.  Now that I am retired I do not have either, so do not "need" a car or motorcycle.  Once retired you cannot say I "need" a vehicle to "get somewhere quickly" anymore, so spend your money on things you "need" is my motto

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

First, far and away, most people here seem to drive fine to me, so when you claim things like 90% you sound like a fool. You could well not be a fool, but comments like this make it sound that way. In a county of seventy million people how long would it take, and how far would one have to drive to see 90% of Thai drivers anyway? I've been driving here every day for over twenty years and I doubt very much I've seen even 1% of them 

Second, you make comments like "...these people..." in reference to Thais, it makes  you sound like a bigot. Again, you may not be a bigot, but you sound like one.

Third, you seemed to be claiming that regardless of the level of training given to Thais, they would be unable to drive "correctly'. That you (apparently) believe this indicates that either: A. You are indeed a bigot and believe that Thais are truly an inferior people, or that B. You are indeed a fool that believes there is something really difficult about driving, or C. You are both a bigot and a fool. 

Finally, to be clear, I do not believe you to be a bigot or a fool. I do not know you. Please do not get all bent and claim I am calling you names, I am not. You could well be a great guy, I have no idea. I am just pointing out what your comments make you sound like. 

I vote C

Been driving and riding here 17 years. Most drivers polite, courteous.

Look at all the old cars around - many many 10-15-20 year old Izusu pickups that look like new.

Cars and trucks a big investment for Thai people, and they tend to take care of them.

Like the old saw - Thai people do not due maintenance. Yet I got a ride in a songthaew with over 700,000 on it - running gear original.

Again - I vote C. And he is by far not the only one ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

You do not need the frustration, the distractions, the responsibilities (gas, maintenance, insurance, licensing)  IMO.  Everyone seems to have this love affair with personal transportation.  Yes I had it as well for 45+ years, but I needed a car for work and family responsibilities.  Now that I am retired I do not have either, so do not "need" a car or motorcycle.  Once retired you cannot say I "need" a vehicle to "get somewhere quickly" anymore, so spend your money on things you "need" is my motto

Were I only concerned with what I "need" I could have retired before I finished high school. I don't "need" air conditioning but I like it, and I do not mind paying for it. 

Driving does not frustrate me, nor does owning a vehicle. Neither do I find the "responsibilities" of owning a vehicle particularly taxing. I like owning and driving a vehicle, and I like having the option of taking my own vehicle or leaving it home.

I understand the financial aspect, and indeed, if money was that tight, I agree owning a vehicle would make little sense. If I had to choose between owning a car and feeding the cat, I would get rid of the car. I am fortunate in that I do not have to make those kinds of choices.