Outrage over blacktip reef sharks sold at Phuket fish market

snoop1130

1624016537_1-org.jpg

The haul of blacktip reef sharks at the fresh fish market on Koh Siray, east of Phukte Town, this morning (June 18). Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: The Phuket Fisheries Chief has confirmed that blacktip reef sharks are not protected species following outrage online sparked from photos of a haul of dead sharks in baskets at Koh Siray, in Rassada, today (June 18).

“At this stage, the blacktip reef shark has not been classified as a protected animal,” Watcharin Rattanachoo, Chief of the Phuket Provincial Fisheries Office, told The Phuket News today.

“I understand the photos may hurt people who love animals, but the fishing and selling of these sharks is not illegal in Thailand,” Mr Watcharin said. 

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/outrage-over-blacktip-reef-sharks-sold-at-phuket-fish-market-80385.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-06-18

• Sad 4

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Touch a starfish or an urchin  and your in big trouble, ????

regards worgeordie

You're so right. The penalties do not fit the crime in many instances.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I understand the photos may hurt people who love animals, but the fishing and selling of these sharks is not illegal in Thailand,” Mr Watcharin said. 

So lets plunder the heck out of them for profit.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I understand the photos may hurt people who love animals, but the fishing and selling of these sharks is not illegal in Thailand,” Mr Watcharin said. 

However, shooting them from a boat is illegal judging from a recent arrest. Double standards?

• Confused 1

Some people obsession with sharks, what's the difference between these and any other fish piled up the same in the markets and for sale - if they are not protected species and legal to catch here ...!!!?!?!? ????

Ah, I get it ...., sharks bite people ..., so some seem to like that idea... ! ????????

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

Some people obsession with sharks, what's the difference between these and any other fish piled up the same in the markets and for sale - if they are not protected species and legal to catch here ...!!!?!?!? ????

Ah, I get it ...., sharks bite people ..., so some seem to like that idea... ! ????????

The difference is sightings of these sharks are getting rarer and rarer. 

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

its called reproduction and time to grow to reproduction age.