Buying Dewalt Cordless Drills (products) made in China Online in Thailand

Isaanman

Quick question: has anyone ever purchased a newer Dewalt cordless, brushless drill in Thailand from Lazada, Shopee, or somewhere else and been pleased with his or her purchase? My Dewalt cordless drill of 15 years died the other day and it is too old to buy the replacement part in country. [I am trying to order it online from England.] In the meantime, I have a job I must finish and I am in the market for a Dewalt cordless, brushless (XR) hammer drill. I see many of the newer, better rated drills on Lazada and Shopee--most of which seem to be made in China--and some of them are priced very reasonably when compared to those sold in the US. I am just not sure of the quality of these products, knowing that brand names came be faked over here in S.E. Asia.

I have purchased a Dewalt corded drill and hammer drill, along with a Dewalt Skilsaw at the local HomePro and am fairly pleased with their sturdiness and quality. And I know Dewalt has factories all over the world. But, the salesman at the HomePro told me that most Dewalt products in Thailand come form the same Chinese factories that make Stanley and Black & Decker products. I just do now want to end up with a much cheaper DIY product for a supposed commercial-grade tool at a commercial-grade price and none of the newer brushless versions are sold anywhere I can go to and inspect in the Deep South. Any thoughts regarding your experience with Dewalt cordless drills purchased in Thailand would be very helpful. Thanks! ????

• Like 1

I purchased one from home pro several years ago, still going strong. Nothing to make me doubt the quality.

I have never checked where it says its made, as nowadays that doesn't mean much, some minor assembly and packaging can have a made in <insert country here> label

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I purchased one from home pro several years ago, still going strong. Nothing to make me doubt the quality.

I have never checked where it says its made, as nowadays that doesn't mean much, some minor assembly and packaging can have a made in <insert country here> label

Yeah...same...back in USA had a MAKITA string trimmer made in Japan...now MAKITA string trimmer made in China...indistinguishable from the MIJ model.

• Like 1

I came close to buying one of these cheap Chinese drills recently. I think I demurred in the end because it seemed too cheap to be any good. Silly really, I wasn't building houses, just needed to put an occasional plug in a wall.

I'm old enough to remember when Japanese goods were considered rubbish, and no-one had heard of South Korea making anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I came close to buying one of these cheap Chinese drills recently. I think I demurred in the end because it seemed too cheap to be any good.

By "cheap Chinese drills,"  do you mean something like a Maktec--a Chinese offshoot of Makita--or are you specifically talking about a Dewalt tool made in China? 

2 hours ago, Isaanman said:

By "cheap Chinese drills,"  do you mean something like a Maktec--a Chinese offshoot of Makita--or are you specifically talking about a Dewalt tool made in China? 

Yes, I think Maktec was the brand I was looking at. Very cheap.

Maktec is a discontinued brand of Makita. Now in the stores it might be labeled MT by Makita. There certainly are genuine Maktec OLD STOCK in stores and on line.  Maktec 100% made only in Makita Tool assembly plants. Just less robust components, but same factory, same QC, and same staff. I have been inside one of the 10 Makita assembly plants twice. It was shown to me and explained in English about Maktec (in 2014, 2017 when I toured the plant in Thailand) being assembled in several of the Makita assembly plants. Shorter warranty period.   DeWALT are made all over the world. Stanley Black & Decker even have a small measuring tapes plant in Thailand. Some sellers on Lazada are legit, some are not. The DeWALT WEBSITE lists the on line seller in Thailand of DeWALT.  ANY hardware store that has a "storefront" on Lazada can legally sell DeWALT tools. Check prices and DO NOT assume the "Flagship" store has the lowest prices. Where I used to work, we sold hundreds of DeWALT tools on Lazada each month. We GLADLY would match other legit prices on lazada if it was from a real DeWALT dealer. NEVER believe the "list" or "normal" price on Lazada. Pure fantasy prices, much the same as how the SALE signs are in some retailers.   May I point out that as a tool "buyer" think long term on who is going to support YOU THE END USER, with spare parts and a prompt repair experience, in the warranty period and AFTER the warranty period.  There are 10,000 power tool factories in China. How many do YOU think make quality tools?  Stick to real brands, from real dealers (on line or in person) and you will be happier. Crazy when guys spend dumb money to import a new tool, (shipping fees, taxes)  and then bitch about spare parts not being in Thailand for a specific model never imported into Thailand. However if I was moving to Thailand and had previously bought and already owned quality name brand tools, certainly worth to bring those used tools to Thailand. You all know how LITTLE people offer at a "garage sale" for perfectly good power tools when you are moving from your country to Thailand!!

18 minutes ago, kamalabob2 said:

Maktec is a discontinued brand of Makita. Now in the stores it might be labeled MT by Makita. There certainly are genuine Maktec OLD STOCK in stores and on line. 

I’m not so sure about it being a discontinued brand. Makita Thailand doesn’t seem to think so or their website is out of date  Makita Thailand Macktec 

The information I have is that it uses older tooling that Makita decided not to scrap but to continue using as the tools produced are still perfectly serviceable just not as advanced as the Makita branded tools 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 6/19/2021 at 5:03 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

I’m not so sure about it being a discontinued brand. Makita Thailand doesn’t seem to think so or their website is out of date  Makita Thailand Macktec 

I am 100% sure.  There certainly could be real products branded MAKTEC in warehouses. I'll respectfully wager no new Maktec are coming off any real assembly line. Makita MT is the new branding. 

3 minutes ago, kamalabob2 said:

I am 100% sure.  There certainly could be real products branded MAKTEC in warehouses. I'll respectfully wager no new Maktec are coming off any real assembly line. Makita MT is the new branding. 

So why are they on the Makita website?

0C94AC14-9A76-488C-82B3-EC93945869CE.thumb.png.2f89e1bf834e9835cdc914f7c0e33d1c.png

Edited by sometimewoodworker

They are being rebrand to MT Makita. The #1 distributor (they sell 60% of all Makita Tools in Thailand to stores, large and small) is KTW.  Their website is up to date and shows MT Makita. Nothing wrong with buying Maktec, and parts will be around. But MT by Makita is the new name, and has been for several month. 

https://www.ktw.co.th/mtseries?gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZpy9u6qjkv5RkBBqV0mhxQ8PKwP7XvL1yGkMrPbMWAPKDJs7L_1KkwxoCOq0QAvD_BwE

27 minutes ago, kamalabob2 said:

They are being rebrand to MT Makita. The #1 distributor (they sell 60% of all Makita Tools in Thailand to stores, large and small) is KTW.  Their website is up to date and shows MT Makita. Nothing wrong with buying Maktec, and parts will be around. But MT by Makita is the new name, and has been for several month. 

https://www.ktw.co.th/mtseries?gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZpy9u6qjkv5RkBBqV0mhxQ8PKwP7XvL1yGkMrPbMWAPKDJs7L_1KkwxoCOq0QAvD_BwE

So it’s just a hair and makeup change ???? 

That is how it was explained to me. I did not take apart identical models in the repair department. Right now I am outing the "Official DeWALT" store on lazada. They are not Stanley Black & Decker, rather they are a smart retailer who jumped through hoops to become the "official" or "Flagship" seller of brand. But those Lazada official places OFTEN have no spare parts, and they are just a sharp retailer working on a business plan. I know since I bought a LG front load from the Flagship store and it was just an appliance shop in Bangkok.  In 2017, or 2018 I attended a huge meeting of the successful Makita dealers of Thailand, at a ballroom connected to Impact. Bottom line, the inspirational speaker urged each Makita dealer to go on line and sell on line in 2017. He knew the future of retail and was paid to urge dealers to sell on line. I was the token Farang.  

"As i told you that our shop is DeWALT genuine 100%. because we have to registered with Lazada for selling our products."

ABOVE is from a "chat" with the "Official" DeWALT store on Lazada. I am not yet convinced that they are the real Stanley Black & Decker Thailand importer. By their answers I suspect they are just a smart RETAILER who have an agreement with Lazada. Never assume the "official" or "Flagship" store on Lazada, is the low price leader, nor the place you get after the sales service. I have asked "official stores" to line me a photo or video of their spare parts department to prove who they were. 

Edited by kamalabob2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

Yes I did buy a Dewalt Driver and cordless drill from Lazada and I do not regret it. I did not buy them from Dewalt flagship store. 

Did you (or anyone else looking at this thread) choose to buy the Dewalt lithium batteries to go with your Dewalt drill or the cheaper (Chinese) batteries? I looked at some YouTube comparisons and, even though the Dewalt batteries fared battery in the actual tests, all things considered, cheaper "no-name" (Chinese) brands actually turned out to be a better deal in terms of amperage hours per dollar. Any thoughts?

• 11 months later...

I just bought a DeWalt cordless drill, 2 - 5.0 Ah batteries , charger, case with bits: 1079 THB from Lazada.. I know it’s a fake tool and batteries. Just one genuine battery would cost at least 3-4,000 THB.

However I just returned to Thailand after a 3 year absence. In 2019, during my last trip, I sold all of my power tools.

This trip I returned to find my expensive Microwave, Washing Machine, Cooktop and Kitchen Faucet not working.

If this fake drill lasts for 2 months, I’m good! So far I used it to drill a hole into the concrete wall and it worked well.

On the other hand, if I needed it for every day use, I would pay up for a ‘real’ drill, about 5000 THB.

1 hour ago, fotog said:

I just bought a DeWalt cordless drill, 2 - 5.0 Ah batteries , charger, case with bits: 1079 THB from Lazada.. I know it’s a fake tool and batteries. Just one genuine battery would cost at least 3-4,000 THB.

On the other hand, if I needed it for every day use, I would pay up for a ‘real’ drill, about 5000 THB.

How could a genuine battery have a cost of 3-4000 THB if the "real" drill with the brushless motor and two batteries has been priced at 5000 THB?

Edited by unheard

If you shop places like Amazon, Home Depot, LOWE’S, you will see these cordless brushless drills sold in different configurations, I.e; tool only, tool with and without any batteries, batteries only, batteries ranging from 1.3 AH to 5.0 AH., the higher costing more. The prices vary, but no legit store will sell the kit I bought for $30.00 or 1079 THB.

This cordless drill with case and two 3.0 AH batteries is 7990 THB. On Lazada.

EA888AE5-81A0-4EBE-BB48-2D98F6CA3971.thumb.png.a3d91f69b719acf0579b2bf9c20a07cb.png

I got a much better deal, mine came with two 5.0 AH batteries, charger, case, extra bits, and the drill for 1079 THB.

118593B0-1029-4E15-A5BA-809A8FD60A13.png

Recently I bought tools from Bosch. I visited the Thai Bosch website and looked for authorized dealers. And they I bought from one of them.

It wasn't cheap but I am sure it's the original.

Personally I want quality tools. I know they are expensive but I also know that basically you can use them forever. Hassle and headache is the last thing we want. For that reason I wouldn't buy them from any unknown seller, especially if the price seems to be too good to be true.

Maybe look at the Dewalt website and authorized dealers.