Changing from marriage to retirement

Hi all, No doubt this has been asked before,  Is it possible to change from marriage extension, to retirement extension, before the marriage extension is finished ? or what are the options to save having to leave if a divorce goes though. 

My mate's marriage is on the rocks,  

No problem in principle, but how would he be meeting the financial requirement ?  Money in the bank ?  Monthly income ? Combination ?  He might need some time to provide the extra funds, or proof of same.

I don't know much about divorce law in Thailand.  Perhaps someone else can advise - are divorces final on the day of the judgment, or is some lead time granted ?

1 minute ago, allane said:

No problem in principle, but how would he be meeting the financial requirement ?  Money in the bank ?  Monthly income ? Combination ?  He might need some time to provide the extra funds, or proof of same.

I don't know much about divorce law in Thailand.  Perhaps someone else can advise - are divorces final on the day of the judgment, or is some lead time granted ?

Agent.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Perhaps someone else can advise - are divorces final on the day of the judgment, or is some lead time granted ?

Divorces do not happen overnight and he could delay things until he can meet the financial requirements.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Divorces do not happen overnight and he could delay things until he can meet the financial requirements.

That is my thinking too.   I think he could run out his Marriage Extension.  I don't see how Immigration would know he is divorced unless and until he tells them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

In a case of divorce he could go to immigration on the day the divorce if final or close to the day it will be final with proof of that he could go to immigration to cancel his extension and apply for a extension based upon retirement.

He will would of course have to meet the financial requirements for the retirement extension.

Thanks ubonjoe so it is possible to change to retirement at any time ? I am aware his current extension will finish on the day he applies to change. 

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Thanks ubonjoe so it is possible to change to retirement at any time ?

Only if his current extension is canceled. Most offices would probably cancel his extension with basic proof he is getting divorced and the new extension would start on the day it is issued. That would better than having to do it on the day it is final.

• Thanks 1

That is my thinking too.   I think he could run out his Marriage Extension.  I don't see how Immigration would know he is divorced unless and until he tells them.

His wife is a right bitch of the worst kind, they are living apart and she is trying to make waves, by asking him if he has a new lady 'sleeping' with him. I'm thinking she will file for divorce saying he has deserted her, and adulatory.

2 minutes ago, allane said:

I don't see how Immigration would know he is divorced unless and until he tells them.

And as a side note, I would love to know if divorced since last marriage visa, and with a 'willing/sympathetic'  ex wife, if one could still wing a marriage visa renewal..................

5 minutes ago, bojo said:

And as a side note, I would love to know if divorced since last marriage visa, and with a 'willing/sympathetic'  ex wife, if one could still wing a marriage visa renewal..................

That would not be recommended. Also OP mentions wife is not flash.

As soon as he has new gf all hell would break loose. 

OP do you know when friend current permission of stay ends

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The only thing she would be willing to do is rob him of more money.

I get you, they're just so handy those marriage visas...............................that's the thing.......

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

He would not need one if he prepared in advance.

Money, she managed to drain ALL of his money, long story which I have posted about before and don't want to go into again. He has M.N.D.

8 minutes ago, bojo said:

Not if the office requires a up to date Kor Ror 2 marriage registry from a Amphoe since it would not be available to get a printout of it.

Also ex would have to go with him and be in photos of them together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Apologies, it was a side note, didn't mean to confuse, it was a hypothetical question and not related to the OP himself

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Not if the office requires a up to date Kor Ror 2 marriage registry from a Amphoe since it would not be available to get a printout of it.

Also ex would have to go with him and be in photos of them together.

Thank you......................

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Money, she managed to drain ALL of his money, long story which I have posted about before and don't want to go into again.

Using a agent might get complicated to do since the his extension would still have to be canceled and it would probably be done at a different office than where he applied for the extension.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Dr jack not flash is to polite for this woman, trash would be more appropriate. He still has a few months left of extension, but the phone call from her has really put him on edge. 

14 minutes ago, bojo said:

Apologies, it was a side note, didn't mean to confuse, it was a hypothetical question and not related to the OP himself

These cases come up often. 

I always suggest to try and milk out current extension and then move to extension based on retirement. Use that time to organize financials. If money situation makes that impossible then use an agent. With current permit in place that would cost about 16k. 

If that's not possible could always move to Covid extensions (last resort)

As for stringing out current permit (marriage) as per the usual method (reasonable or unreasonable wife) grease the wheels cash in hand. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Using a agent might get complicated to do since the his extension would still have to be canceled and it would probably be done at a different office than where he applied for the extension.

He won't be using the same office, he is already TM30 registered in a different province. We will talk to his Agent today, but I thought I would get some info here before seeing the "agent", fore warned is fore armed as they say.

4 hours ago, bojo said:

If you mean an extension based on marriage, not possible.

As the divorce will have been recorded, then you wouldn't be able to get an updated Kor Ror 2 from the Amphoe.

That said, I know a couple of divorcees that have stayed in Thailand years after divorced by getting a Non Imm O ME Visa at Savannakhet.

No financial proof required and as long as you still have a a copy of the marriage certificate and copies of the (ex) wife's Tabien Baan and ID card, then no proof of marriage is requested.

Of course borders will have to reopen first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

He won't be using the same office, he is already TM30 registered in a different province. We will talk to his Agent today, but I thought I would get some info here before seeing the "agent", fore warned is fore armed as they say.

Even so, until his divorce is on the verge of finalisation, or his current extension expires, can he apply for an extension based on retirement.

Why if he's in a different Province doe he still communicate directly with his ex. It will just cause stress and anxiety for both. Thai woman are inherently jealous of other women, or suspected other women. Block her number or change his.

Communicate only through a lawyer, she'll soon get fed up and he can get on with his life in piece.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Even so, until his divorce is on the verge of finalisation, or his current extension expires, can he apply for an extension based on retirement.

Why if he's in a different Province doe he still communicate directly with his ex. It will just cause stress and anxiety for both. Thai woman are inherently jealous of other women, or suspected other women. Block her number or change his.

Communicate only through a lawyer, she'll soon get fed up and he can get on with his life in piece.

Well that's the point, she phones him and rather than block her, he talks to her, (to keep her happy) to prevent any immediate divorce proceeding, just until his current extension expires. then he can tell her go fork herself. 

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The only thing she would be willing to do is rob him of more money.

DO you know any Thai in that situation that would not try that?

Many moons ago a men could ask for divorce if he "suspected" his wife was cheating, no proof asked. On the other hand the wife had to prove he was taking care of another woman as his wife. Visiting prostitutes was not enough for her to file for divorce. But probably she would ask money for the divorce as well ????

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Divorces do not happen overnight

Even a marriage registered at an Amphur by mutual consent? To the best of my knowledge that is complete and final on the day you both sign the documents.