Thailand confirms reopening plan from 1 July 2021

webfact

16 minutes ago, DLock said:

We are going to hear about this every single day up until it may or may not happen...

...well, that and how many vaccines they ordered today.

Indeed. 

I believe the authorities need to get their ducks in order.

Priorities should be foremost to getting the greater percentage of the population immunized.....and then we can dreamingly talk about full openings, reopenings, whatever. 

The current manner in which they've mismanaged [and long delayed] the vaccine programs might lead some to suspect they haven't a clue as to what they're doing - and placing trivial priorities over some dreamy time frame of any such partial/full opening. 

• Like 2

I wonder, how it will look like , when they ''open'' Bangkok?

If there is no quarantine and you are free to move into the designated area, and if, let's say, a returning exxpat/ thai national, residing abroad,  returns to Bangko and has family/condo/house in Bangkok, he/she can visit family/personal residence, but needs to return to hotel by night?

As a matter of fact, this applies to returning expats/thais with residence/family in Phuket.They just need to book the cheapest accommodation, but spend most of the time with family at their homes?

What a cluster<deleted>.

LE.I have seen some really low prices for Phuket hotels in september, down to Patong Beach, as low as 12-14.000 THB for 14 days, even less.If they open Bangkok, we must assume many more hotels could be approved as SHA, or how in God's name, they call the Covid hotels.

Edited by drenddy
  • Haha 1

Which countries are these? Is there a link? 

• Thai nationals and foreign expatriates must travel from countries/regions with a low to medium risk of SAR-CoV-2 virus as announced and constantly updated by the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH);

18 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Hmm, thanks.

it’s not the most user friendly presentation of information, is it. The average tourist might need something a little more concise.

assuming the far right peach colored column is high risk and therefore excluded, there are quite a few interesting names in there. France, Japan and Malaysia stand out as countries that have provided a steady flow of visitors in previous years. 

of course, Thailand is in that far right column also.

am I reading it right? The far right, peach color is for countries whose citizens would not be accepted for entry? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DLock said:

That's what you got our of my post?

Newbie...it will all make sense over time...

And here I was was just trying to help so you don't have to hear about this every single day as in your post.

Edited by jerrymahoney

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

And here I was was just trying to help so you don't have to hear about it this every single day as in your post.

I appreciate your advice.

It was more a social comment on how the Government latches onto something, that may or may not be based in reality or fact, and remind us every single day that it will happen...until it doesn't. 

The 7-day Phuket sandbox they told us about and had been promised for months, until it changed last minute.

The vaccine volumes have been promised for months and months and Siam Bioscience will be the great savior of Thailand...until they aren't.

It's just repetitive chat or propaganda, and has zero basis in fact, but we will be fed it each and every day because it buys them time and people wait, fully expecting the result.

So, it's more a Pavlov's Dog response to the bell ringing and being fed BS on a daily basis...and then not getting a treat.

Will the October date hold? Maybe, but as ALWAYS, expect Thailand to screw up the details...

Edited by DLock
dyslexic
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DLock said:

Will the October date hold? Maybe, but as ALWAYS, expect Thailand to screw up the details...

In my residence in Thailand, my attitude is: When it's a done deal, let me know. Especially when, as much as people on here think they know what should be done, there is likely zero impact on what will be done.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Hmm, thanks.

it’s not the most user friendly presentation of information, is it. The average tourist might need something a little more concise.

assuming the far right peach colored column is high risk and therefore excluded, there are quite a few interesting names in there. France, Japan and Malaysia stand out as countries that have provided a steady flow of visitors in previous years. 

of course, Thailand is in that far right column also.

am I reading it right? The far right, peach color is for countries whose citizens would not be accepted for entry? 

Even more strange : Look like Andorra and Monaco are OK, but France, Italy and Spain not. Do they have a map to see where Andorra and Monaco are located ?

Edited by Chalong circle
change of words
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

Too convoluted.

Meanwhile, Europeans can holiday in Europe with few restrictions and Americans can do the same in Central and South America. Most Chinese, on the other hand, won't holiday abroad at all, as they'd still need to quarantine upon returning to the PRC.

I fully agree with your post, however, and please correct me if I am wrong, the post does not consider expats living in the UAE. I have mentioned this before, and do have friends intending to travel to Phuket if it all goes ahead. Most seem not to have too many issues with the hurdles, or being tagged, but some, for sure, have pulled out due to the mandatory 14 day SHA+ hotel stay. Needless to say, the friends in question that still want to travel, are lucky enough, like me, to be able to work away from the office. FYI, I will be a returnee to Thailand who kept me residency active in Dubai and have been lucky enough to get two vaccine shots in a brief 3 week stay here.

If I was a tourist operator for Phuket (currently a tough job!), I would at least target the UAE and hopefully that way get a trickle of tourists from there. Currrentlty, no quarantine on return either and today's outside temperature is 47C.

Just for info, there are around 9 million expats living / working permanently in UAE, of which around 2 million are either Chinese, East Asian, British, American, European, South African etc.

There are many sources:

https://www.globalmediainsight.com/blog/uae-population-statistics/

• Thanks 1

Just now, connda said:

The way that this whole dog and pony show is designed will benefit nothing but Thai business with either money, the right connections, or both.
It's about obtaining "well-heeled" tourists for "well-connected" Thai businesses.  Nothing more.

????????  ????  ????  ????  ????  ????  ????  ????  ????
Btw, this is exactly the model the Thai government and TAT have been shooting for for years. 
I hope if fails miserably.  It will force the Thai government and TAT to loosen up or watch tourism perish altogether.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, if I had to stay in Phuket for seven nights and then be free to travel I would consider booking but the change to 14 nights for fully vaccinated tourists is BS, you have been able to arrive in Thailand for many months now without vaccine and stay in quarantine is BKK for 15 nights and then you are free, SO! why on earth do you need to be fully vaccinated and then still have Island quarantine for 14 nights and PCR tests, $100,000 insurance, just hoops and more hoops.

Not for me yet, family will have to get used to Zooming for a few months longer. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, connda said:

Remember when it was simply
1) get off the plane,
2) get a Visa-on-arrival,
3) get ripped off by the taxi mafia,
4) and then have fun?

Who in their right mind will wade into this over-regulated maelstrom?  I have a suggestion:
*** Pre-Arrival
1) Go to a psychiatrist and get your head examined

Unless and until it is easy and relatively cheap again the numbers will be very low.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Minister of Tourism and Sports H.E. Mr. Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said, “Thai Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha on Monday has set a goal to reopen Thailand to fully vaccinated foreign visitors without quarantine within the next 120 days. This has given hope to everyone in the Thai tourism industry. I believe that the Prime Minister has set such goal in his confidence that the national COVID-19 vaccination programme would have given 50 million people their first shot by early October.

So open the country to double shot tourists to Thailand where locals have only had one shot of the Sino****

Yeah okay.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DLock said:

We are going to hear about this every single day up until it may or may not happen...

...well, that and how many vaccines they ordered today.

Or delete as necessary, you have the option not to read.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Remember when it was simply
1) get off the plane,
2) get a Visa-on-arrival,
3) get ripped off by the taxi mafia,
4) and then have fun?

Those were the days my friend.....

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And think of all the great things we would do
Those were the days my friend