Quitting job without notice.

Hey guys,

I’ve been endlessly waiting for my school to provide me a work permit. Now I’ve found another job, higher pay, and can provide the work permit. Should I give my current employer any notice of resignation? I’m scared they will withhold my salary if I give them notice?

thanks in advance

• Haha 1

What does it say on your contract?

If you walk out before giving the notice period, usually a month, I don’t think you stand much chance of getting paid, but you might be lucky - I have done it a couple of times and walked away from a weeks salary.

You could try contacting your future employer, to ask if they will wait and start next month. You wouldn’t be the first person to wait until the moneys in the bank before telling the school.

I don’t know if there is an answer - I had the same situation as you, no WP in one school and in another, things weren’t working out and I was going to get the boot anyway, so I jumped before I was pushed - even still, I got the job, finished the week, which I thought was considerate for the kids, but still withheld the weeks pay. It’s usual that the new school can’t wait, because they have been teacher-less for sometime and need to pacify the paying parents. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dmarc028 said:

Im on a covid visa at the moment so they have no control over my visa. Obviously where Im from we give two weeks notice but Im also afraid that they will withhold my salary if I give any notice. 

I assume you are on a 60 day covid 19 extension of stay (it is not a visa).

You can walk away form the job without any repercussions.

If you entered the country visa exempt or on a tourist visa you can apply for a non-b visa at immigration with supporting documents from your employer.

For teaching the requirements are here to get a 90 day non-b visa entry. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/02.pdf

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you. Although In general, I would usually give 2 weeks to a month notice, im just worried that they will withhold my salary if I give them any sort of notice before the salary is returned at the end of the month. So I shouldn't worry if I just leave the school after receiving my salary?

Thanks everyone. It's been over a year at this school, and I've got my degree and transcripts all available. Anyways, I've concluded it seems best to get my pay and then verbally tell them this is my last day. Feel bad for leaving like this but it is what it is. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, dmarc028 said:

Thanks everyone. It's been over a year at this school, and I've got my degree and transcripts all available. Anyways, I've concluded it seems best to get my pay and then verbally tell them this is my last day. Feel bad for leaving like this but it is what it is. 

LOL .. A YEAR!!!! 

So you have been extending your visa every 60 days (or however one it is)? Thats not fair. 

I think 3 months, a probation period, is a long enough period to wait. There is no reason to feel bad, it of their own doing. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dmarc028 said:

Im on a covid visa at the moment so they have no control over my visa. Obviously where Im from we give two weeks notice but Im also afraid that they will withhold my salary if I give any notice. 

What's a "Covid visa"?

I'm on retirement visa. Do you still need 800k in your bank or just show, that you believe that Cowfit didn't come from the mothership up north?

Just be careful they might report you for working illegally and you will be deported. 

You cannot start working without WP. What are you even thinking? You risk being banned for what? Next time you only go to work on the day your WP is in your hands.

Edited by Kalorymetr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why wouldn't they pay you if you give notice? 

For the same reason they haven't honored their promise of a work permit, no integrity. Get the money and go, and sleep very soundly at night ???? add a chang or two if it helps

Edited by asiam110
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 4:33 PM, dmarc028 said:

What reason do they give for not giving your work permit? Do your colleagues have work permits? 

On 6/20/2021 at 8:45 PM, Kalorymetr said:

Well, it depends on who they pay and how much. If its a government school, rules might not apply to them, and a farang surely will be prosecuted.

It's got nothing to do with skin colour!

<deleted>, man up and tell them you've got a new job and are giving them notice. If for some weird reason they say you must give 1 month notice, then give it. The new school will wait, if they are worth working for. 

Honesty is the best policy, trust me I worked in Thai schools for 25 years.