"Moving Forward to Reopen Thailand": Tourism minister Pipat explains obstacles to PM's 120 day plan

webfact

5pm2.jpg

Picture: Thansettakij

Thailand's minister for tourism and sports Pipat Ratchakitprakan spoke to the press after a forum held at a Bangkok hotel called "Moving Forward to Reopen Thailand".

His comments came after Thai PM Prayuth Chan-o-cha boldly declared that Thailand would be reopen to foreigners within 120 days.

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Thansettakij

This equates to the high season starting in October and would follow the Phuket Sandbox scheme starting next week then "sealed route" plans for nine other areas in subsequent months. 

Pipat said the ultimate plan suggested by the PM was to open up all 77 provinces of the country.

But he said that would depend on the level of infection in each of the areas. If it was too high then tourists would not be allowed there.

By way of example the minister said that if Bangkok still had 500-600 cases daily then it would remain shut to visitors from abroad.

But if there were only 20-30 cases that would be fine. 

Much depends on the vaccine rollout, said the minister in comments quoted by Thansettakij.

He claimed that 50 million Thais would have received at least a first dose by the end of October. 

The TAT and his ministry were working on a two pronged approach of opening all the country's 77 provinces but first concentrating on Phuket then nine other places including Cha-Am, Hua Hin, Koh Samui, Phangnga, Buriram, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Krabi and Bangkok. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-19

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

By way of example the minister said that if Bangkok still had 500-600 cases daily then it would remain shut to visitors from abroad.

????  They reset the goal posts one way or another to open BKK.

2 hours ago, Lingba said:

I still want to know who is planning to come and put themselves through the torture of all the restrictions including wearing a bracelet to be tracked down like a soi dog

Me Too.

If anyone requires any help deciphering the strategy, I used to be a Programmer Analyst and construct IT systems for large companies.  I would start with a flow chart similar to this1852565574_Screenshot2021-06-19at17_12_59.png.f295daf41fb2153f569972c6804f60ce.png

which were a lot simpler than the plans I've seen on 'opening up' Thailand over the last 12 months. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

But he said that would depend on the level of infection in each of the areas. If it was too high then tourists would not be allowed there.

Now he comes forward as the brains in the pack.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lingba said:

I still want to know who is planning to come and put themselves through the torture of all the restrictions including wearing a bracelet to be tracked down like a soi dog

Thats the prop soiy dogs aint tracked but tourist will be lol

9 hours ago, Lingba said:

Soi dogs do not need to wear a bracelet tracker.   That tells you something !

"concentrating on Phuket then nine other places including Cha-Am, Hua Hin, Koh Samui, Phangnga, Buriram, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Krabi and Bangkok. "

I do find it odd that Buriram keeps getting included in these plans. Other than the race track I don't see any reason why they keep grouping it with tourist destinations.  

Possibly the local politician has some pull? 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, internationalism said:

"Phuket Sandbox scheme starting next week" 

It's the next month, 1st July

"By way of example the minister said that if Bangkok still had 500-600 cases daily"

Has again 1000 daily in bangkok.

"He claimed that 50 million Thais would have received at least a first dose by the end of October"

Too late, as there should be also 2nd dose (especially for sinovac, which with 1st dose is only 5% effective) and several weeks to get full immunity from it.

and all of the above well BEFORE the 1st of October, not the end of October!

I wish them good luck  they're going to need it a lot!

23 hours ago, webfact said:

As always, the Thais show a total lack of understanding of science. 

The Phuket sandbox suffers the childish logic. 

The Thais seem to look at the virus as something you get from a well-defined place. 

Oh, don't go 7—11, they had a case. 

This plan will fail spectacularly. Let's watch and see. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lingba said:

Same people who need to get to other provinces and whose only other option is the slightly more draconian full house arrest isolation quarantine

9 hours ago, marcusb said:

I do find it odd that Buriram keeps getting included in these plans. Other than the race track I don't see any reason why they keep grouping it with tourist destinations.  

Possibly the local politician has some pull? 

yes, it's the base for bhum jai party.

they run this province.

transport minister Saksayam Chidchob is from there, he is general secretary. He will be bussing tourists there, that includes improving roads leading there.

health minister Anutin is the leader, grows marijuana there for tourists, and for export (smuggling).

Read all about them at "Mafia bosses, black magic and marijuana"

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 10:54 AM, webfact said:

He claimed that 50 million Thais would have received at least a first dose by the end of October. 

Could be done in 2 months... if not Thailand.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:37 PM, internationalism said:

Too late, as there should be also 2nd dose (especially for sinovac, which with 1st dose is only 5% effective) and several weeks to get full immunity from it.

Citation for those efficacy and immunity numbers?