Experience?

Back in the day, pop music and great films provided a backdrop and trigger to put life in context and learn to understand it.
Since they stopped making music in the 90s, and film-making was abandoned to colour, what do young people have to form their viewpoint on life?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, starky said:

So sayeth the dinosaur ????????????

Skipping over the contempt that this comment deserves, and exploring the possible nugget of relevance  that it might contain....

Some amongst us might be of an older generation than our children
1.  What have you done to make sure that your children enjoy your cultural heritage?
2. what have you done to make sure that your children are woke and not hampered or benefited by their cultural heritage?
1. My son can play the Z-cars theme  on the flute.

2. I have exposed tem to modern education.

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube.  

Sad, really.  

I had hoped for something more positive.... I suppose it is up to you and I to improve Twitter and Facebook

It is a dismal state of affairs when future generations' wisdom is dependent on the contributions of you or me

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Skipping over the contempt that this comment deserves, and exploring the possible nugget of relevance  that it might contain....

Some amongst us might be of an older generation than our children
1.  What have you done to make sure that your children enjoy your cultural heritage?
2. what have you done to make sure that your children are woke and not hampered or benefited by their cultural heritage?

2. I have exposed tem to modern education.

Contempt?  Bwahahhahaa . 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, starky said:

Get a grip? Lol says the bloke there has been no music made since the 90s and only black and white movies count. Just because your references are caught in the past why assume young people have no reference. Yours is a false preference but it will probably garner a lot of support from the staid, geriatrics that form a part of this forum.

Aye, right, you can pretend that films in colour have some credibility, but can you name one?  Can you name a song written this millenium with any meaningful content?

Let's  face it.  History has stopped, and the sooner we regress to the past, the better.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

I had hoped for something more positive.... I suppose it is up to you and I to improve Twitter and Facebook

It is a dismal state of affairs when future generations' wisdom is dependent on the contributions of you or me

Your hope will eventually turn to despair. 

These social media platforms have become more powerful beyond the belief of their creators, and governments all around the world.

On a positive note, remember The Arab Spring?  Facebook helped topple regimes.  

I subscribe to none of those I have mentioned.  

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

Aye, right, you can pretend that films in colour have some credibility, but can you name one?  Can you name a song written this millenium with any meaningful content?

Let's  face it.  History has stopped, and the sooner we regress to the past, the better.

Death couldn't come quick enough for some I guess.

I could name plenty of great songs and films but seeing as we are limited to the confines of only what you consider to be "great" anything I would say would again be considered with contempt and so easily dismissed as incorrect such is the dilemma of trying to debate with someone so far gone.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

What is wrong with Facebook I talk to thousands of people all over the world and my family I haven't seen in many years

Exactly. I don't have Facebook but the missus does. 

Whats sad is offhandedly dismissing something as rubbish, when as you say, is an incredibly useful tool for millions (billions?) of people for keeping in touch with family and friends scattered around the globe.

Would be much better to go back to a time before Facebook, the internet, ease of connection and go back to mail bags and IDD phone calls because it's all so evil and useless. Damn these kids today. (Shake fist uselessly in frustration)

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wikia.nocookie.net%2Fmemepediadankmemes%2Fimages%2F0%2F01%2F297.jpg%2Frevision%2Flatest%3Fcb%3D20180908193511&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmemepediadankmemes.fandom.com%2Fwiki%2FOld_Man_Yells_at_Cloud&docid=roudelfqfOYZ_M&tbnid=7QDeIF9NZqsLxM&vet=1&w=680&h=383&hl=en-AU&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Edited by starky

49 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

What is wrong with Facebook I talk to thousands of people all over the world and my family I haven't seen in many years

it’s a double edged sword. As you state, it’s original objective was perfectly reasonable and useful. But on the other side you give up privacy and may be bombarded by views and opinions that on the surface sound reasonable but are in fact poorly researched, manipulative and agenda laden.

Views in society appear to me to be much more polarised and angry … and I don’t think that leads to good outcomes. Qanon being one such example. There are many more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

Not sure I understand? Are you saying that the only films of any merit were in black and white? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

what do young people have to form their viewpoint on life?

Each other.  You can't be wrong with so many "likes" now, can you?

Oh yeah, and you needn't be young to be part of this.

OP, check out Roma

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

That would make you about 80 and your son still playing his school flute at 60 ! Unless you are forcing your childhood Z-cars in a younger generation ?

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Haha 2

Why does modern music sound boring to those who lived in the 60's to 80's era. Fashion and trends in general seem a bit unoriginal too. 

Theories

Older ears get tired. When your 5 or 10 you are hearing the music with a young person's passion and freshness. It's all in the future so someone singing about love resonates. 

We've heard it before. When I was a kid I liked certain bands but older people could have said 'Yeah that song is just a rehash of something from the 50's or 60's.'

The pop and rock bucket is empty.  

Electric guitars and synthesisers and modern life seemed to bring out new forms of music - rock and pop. There's only so many beats and chord combinations and it's been done. Rap was a new pathway- I was listening to Die Antwoord last night -crazy fun. For classic top 40  pop and rock maybe by the mid eighties the bucket was empty. Good songs since then but not so original. 

Music is a product of the times

People stopped writing 'classic' classical music in the 20th century - maybe it didn't fit modern life. Like Victorian architecture being taken over by modern architecture. I don't like a lot of modern classical music or modern architecture but things change over time. The kids live  a different life to us - what can sound boring and predictable music to us might fit there social media world. I do note a lot of kids listen to older music too. 

In terms of movies I think your on the wrong tram there - a movie is just someone telling a story and there have been of course amazing movies, TV series etc up till now. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Nothing wrong with the technology, it's their manipulation of human psychology, and their user's data, that may not see history judge the platform kindly.   

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube.  

Sad, really.  

" Why dont you go out with your Friends more ", I said to my Daughter.

" All my friends are here with me " she said, waving her Phone at me.

Shakes Head, and walks away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

" Why dont you go out with your Friends more ", I said to my Daughter.

" All my friends are here with me " she said, waving her Phone at me.

Shakes Head, and walks away.

I'm surprised she didn't say, "This is the only friend I need" as she points to her phone.  

Just crazy to see a couple in a restaurant not talking to each other, but on their phones.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

I'm surprised she didn't say, "This is the only friend I need" as she points to her phone.  

Just crazy to see a couple in a restaurant not talking to each other, but on their phones.  

Why? Half of TV are on here instead of speaking with the missus…,.., but of course that dont count. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Times are changed and old generations adapt or die.

Ie; The protests of new “Vietnam”wars, cultural or social Revolutions are discussed on social networks and the new-revolutions are not on the streets or at Live concerts with creatives songs. There are no student movements or protests but there is metoo or “youtoo”, Netflix, buy online for a 4DX movie in 5G. Easing the life.

Edited by Tarteso

On 6/20/2021 at 1:16 AM, StreetCowboy said:

Can you name a song written this millenium with any meaningful content?

Mili Vanili Compilation? ????

Edited by Tarteso

On 6/20/2021 at 12:49 AM, StreetCowboy said:

Since they stopped making music in the 90s, and film-making was abandoned to colour, what do young people have to form their viewpoint on life?

You must have missed this one. Music and a "film" in colour. ???? 

On 6/20/2021 at 6:16 AM, StreetCowboy said:

History has not stopped, but it's no where near as good now for us lucky few that grew up as middle class children in western countries. For the vast majority of the world population life has always been wanting, IMO.

However, there is no way to convey what it was like to those that did not live through it, and I doubt they'd have any interest anyway.