Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid Premium Safety vs Mazda CX-30 SP

Does anyone have any experience with the new Toyota Cross Corolla Hybrid? Or the new Mazda CX-30? They are both compact SUV's, and I am considering buying one. 

Wondering how solid they are, what kind of mileage they really get (the Cross claims 20-24 KM. per liter, which would be astonishing for a decent sized SUV), resale info on late model Mazdas, etc. 

Any info would be appreciated. 

90.jpeg

2022_toyota_corolla-cross_fint_fe_528211_1600.jpg

2022_Toyota_Corolla_Cross_WindChillPearl_0041.jpg

2020-Mazda-CX-30-AWD-Premium-28.jpg

Blue-Mazda-CX-30-1024x682.jpg

2021_mazda_cx-30_4dr-suv_premium_fq_oem_1_1600.jpg

2020-Mazda-CX-30_BB1_o.jpg

2021_Mazda_CX-30_2.jpg

• Like 1

I drove a CX-30 in the USA for a week as a rental vehicle last year. An absolute blast to drive! Good sound system, you just want to cruise the open roads.  I took it through the Blue Ridge Parkway and mountains of Virginia and couldnt stop smiling.  Very typical Mazda performance, plus decent gas mileage.  Downside is that it is limited in space in the trunk, so if you need to be hauling things, it isnt the best.  It does not feel like an SUV at all, almost more like a hot hatchback kind of thing. 

Irony is that a Toyota is my daily driver. The one you showed looks like a Rav4 on a diet. But I am sure it is practical, has bulletproof reliability, etc.  All depends on what your priorities are.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

I drove a CX-30 in the USA for a week as a rental vehicle last year. An absolute blast to drive! Good sound system, you just want to cruise the open roads.  I took it through the Blue Ridge Parkway and mountains of Virginia and couldnt stop smiling.  Very typical Mazda performance, plus decent gas mileage.  Downside is that it is limited in space in the trunk, so if you need to be hauling things, it isnt the best.  It does not feel like an SUV at all, almost more like a hot hatchback kind of thing. 

Irony is that a Toyota is my daily driver. The one you showed looks like a Rav4 on a diet. But I am sure it is practical, has bulletproof reliability, etc.  All depends on what your priorities are.  

But is the CX30 in the US identical to the CX 30 you can buy here ?  The answer is no, different engine to start with and haven't  even bothered to check out the other dynamics . 

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

True enough. The one I drove was a 2.5l, I think the Thai version has  a 2.0.  But Mazda engines in general tend to be zippy.

I had a Mazda 626 in 1983 in the UK, didn't miss a beat in 3 years

• Haha 1

I believe the Cross is a Corolla, yes? That you give you a pretty good idea of what it is and what it is capable of. 

I further believe the CX-30 built on the 3 platform so it is pretty, so that's what that is. 

Both platforms (I think) are pretty new. Not something I would buy, but I don't think you could go far wrong with either.

Toyota resale is generally better, but that is often more than eaten up by the premium they generally command.

Go and look at them and drive them and buy the one you like. I think the Mazda looks a lot better.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 12:59 PM, spidermike007 said:

I am considering buying one. 

General rule of thumb (not specific to particular model)

Several motoring writers/reviewers suggest.

Toyota, popular, sometimes a little cheaper, quality of engineering design can be a little 'loose'.

Mazda, can be a little bit more than Toyota but better engineered, thus may last longer and less complex to repair if needed..!

36 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

General rule of thumb (not specific to particular model)

Several motoring writers/reviewers suggest.

Toyota, popular, sometimes a little cheaper, quality of engineering design can be a little 'loose'.

Mazda, can be a little bit more than Toyota but better engineered, thus may last longer and less complex to repair if needed..!

Thanks. Appreciate that. It really appears as if Mazda has really upped their game in the past few years. The detail is amazing. I prefer the CX-30. It is better looking, has a more powerful engine, and is a far sexier car. However, it is a bit smaller in interior space, the seats are nowhere near as comfortable, and the gas mileage is not nearly as good, from what I hear. Assuming the Cross Hybrid is really as economical as they say. 

And for some bizarre reason, Toyota is the only major car company that is charging interest, during this Covid new car market sales collapse, on financing. 

Honda HRV is another consideration,but for me and peculiar to many Honda models in thailand,they are dumping their ancient technology engines long since discontinued in Western markets. 1.8 that’s been around for eons ,sane with CRV - old 2.0 and 2.4 petrol or tiny 1.6 diesel, again long gone in other markets. An Impressive hybrid I drove in uk 3+ years ago still not here ! 

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thanks. Appreciate that. It really appears as if Mazda has really upped their game in the past few years. The detail is amazing. I prefer the CX-30. It is better looking, has a more powerful engine, and is a far sexier car. However, it is a bit smaller in interior space, the seats are nowhere near as comfortable, and the gas mileage is not nearly as good, from what I hear. Assuming the Cross Hybrid is really as economical as they say. 

And for some bizarre reason, Toyota is the only major car company that is charging interest, during this Covid new car market sales collapse, on financing. 

Yes,I think hanging on until the realisation dawns,not only in vehicle market,but other sectors, might reward you with a better deal. Thais are particularly slow and obstinate to notice change,but economics always has the final say . Wait until they are forced.

54 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Yes,I think hanging on until the realisation dawns,not only in vehicle market,but other sectors, might reward you with a better deal. Thais are particularly slow and obstinate to notice change,but economics always has the final say . Wait until they are forced.

So far, the the best discount offered was 10,000 baht, on a 1.2 million baht vehicle. Are they serious? They are pretending as if everything is normal, yet every showroom is empty. Might start asking them how are vehicle sales compared to 2019? Look me in the eye and answer that question. LOL. 

I own a Mazda CX30SP since August of last year and I absolutely love that car. 

Its fun to drive, gives me a very secure and happy feeling while driving, plus it has all the luxury you ever want. Mazda also gives you a 5 year warranty and free labor on services.

Unfortunately, I will soon have to sell the car, since I will move back to the US with my Thai wife.  I plan to purchase a  CX30 again, once back in the US.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

it is a bit smaller in interior space, the seats are nowhere near as comfortable, and the gas mileage is not nearly as good,

I to have experienced the "hardening" of car/aeroplane seats over the years.

If only seat manufacturers would sit in the seats in a 1960/70s DS Citroen, they were like sinking into a Jason recliner.! What's with that.? Surely they have been told their seats are horribly hard and uncomfortable.! I've a set of thick sheepskin seat covers with 40mm of cushion material under it on my Ranger, it helps but still nothing like my old DS.

It's odd there is a big difference in the mileage too, Mazdas are usually very economical.

But if it gets anything over 30 mpg then that's not too bad.

8 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

If only seat manufacturers would sit in the seats in a 1960/70s DS Citroen, they were like sinking into a Jason recliner.! What's with that.? Surely they have been told their seats are horribly hard and uncomfortable.! I've a set of thick sheepskin seat covers with 40mm of cushion material under it on my Ranger, it helps but still nothing like my old DS.

It's odd there is a big difference in the mileage too, Mazdas are usually very economical.

Seriously? Do you not remember what a ten-year old interior used to look like? I haven't owned a Ford in a while, but I have ridden in them and the seats seemed fine to me. I drove my sister's 2009 Mazda for six-months in the US last year (stuck due to covid). The car had over 100,000 miles and the leather interior was almost perfect. A little cracking and sun damage (she lives in Palm Desert) but the seat still looked and felt great.

In any event, most (all?) car manufactures do not make their own seats anyway. Seats for multiple manufactures are made by the same companies on the same lines.

14 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

The Cross Corolla Hybrid is supposed to have a supplemental electric motor, that it uses around town. They claim between 20 and 25KM per liter, which I find hard to believe. The interior of the Toyota is crazy comfortable, and very spacious for a compact SUV. That and the electric engine are the two main draws. The Mazda is a far higher quality interior. Much more elegant, and the only one with navigation, in that price range. But not quite as comfortable, as the cabin is a bit smaller, and the seats a bit more rigid. 

On 6/20/2021 at 6:08 PM, canthai55 said:

Maybe just the lighting, maybe the color, maybe the phase of the moon

Looks Bloated90.jpeg

They claim it has a mean look. Like an angry animal. I am ok with it, but it definitely does not have the beauty of the CX-30. It is bigger though. 

I have not had any experience with those particular models however in the past I have purchased 5 RX model Lexus SUV's.  One of those was a 400H which is their hybrid model.  I did not have any problems with the hybrid but it was $10,000 USD more in price than the identical RX350 model and I got no better mileage with the hybrid than I did with the Lexus RX330 or RX350 models.  So kind of the worst of all worlds.  More expensive to buy, not cheaper to run, and expensive batteries to eventually replace when they wear out. 

I would guess if a person does predominately in city slow traffic like in Bangkok they might get better mileage because they would be driving predominately on electric.  I know I won't buy another hybrid and I would suggest you contact some people who actually have owned the gas and the same hybrid model to see if their experience was any different than mine. 

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They claim it has a mean look. Like an angry animal. I am ok with it, but it definitely does not have the beauty of the CX-30. It is bigger though. 

How much do you/will you  drive?

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

How much do you/will you  drive?

Alot. We take alot of road trips. Especially now, with the crazy four and five star hotel discounts. Enough to make both comfort and gas mileage something of importance. 

Also, just from a philosophical point of view, I love sticking it to the Saudis, by using less of their gas. Thailand imports over 700,000 barrels of oil per day. Alot of that likely comes from the Gulf. 

Edited by spidermike007

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

gas mileage something of importance. 

As mentioned you really should talk to someone owning a hybrid to determine if you get any better mileage at all.  In a hybrid the gas motor kicks in when power is needed.  I found that once I was above about 25 - 30 mph I was always running on the gas motor anyway.  It was only at stops and in stop and go slow city traffic that my Lexus was running on the electric power.  So bottom line I spent an extra $10,000 to get a hybrid that got me no more fuel efficiency than the less expensive model.  

17 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

As mentioned you really should talk to someone owning a hybrid to determine if you get any better mileage at all.  In a hybrid the gas motor kicks in when power is needed.  I found that once I was above about 25 - 30 mph I was always running on the gas motor anyway.  It was only at stops and in stop and go slow city traffic that my Lexus was running on the electric power.  So bottom line I spent an extra $10,000 to get a hybrid that got me no more fuel efficiency than the less expensive model.  

Yes. Been wondering about that. The US epa mileage states 49-51 mpg city and highway combined. Puzzling or misleading? 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The Cross Corolla Hybrid is supposed to have a supplemental electric motor, that it uses around town. They claim between 20 and 25KM per liter, which I find hard to believe. The interior of the Toyota is crazy comfortable, and very spacious for a compact SUV. That and the electric engine are the two main draws. The Mazda is a far higher quality interior. Much more elegant, and the only one with navigation, in that price range. But not quite as comfortable, as the cabin is a bit smaller, and the seats a bit more rigid. 

Th cross gets better economy than the cx-30 around town; the opposite is true at highway speeds. You won't beat the toyota for service centers, reliablity and resale. It depends on your priorities. No doubt the mazda has a nicer interior and better handling. 

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. Been wondering about that. The US epa mileage states 49-51 mpg city and highway combined. Puzzling or misleading? 

It's a good bet it's a different engine in the US, likely bigger. It could well be it gets better mileage than the Thai engine.

42 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot. We take alot of road trips. Especially now, with the crazy four and five star hotel discounts. Enough to make both comfort and gas mileage something of importance. 

Also, just from a philosophical point of view, I love sticking it to the Saudis, by using less of their gas. Thailand imports over 700,000 barrels of oil per day. Alot of that likely comes from the Gulf. 

So if you drive 50,000Km a year @ 30km/liter that's about $1,822 a year, assuming B35/liter

At 20Km/liter that's about $2,700 a year.

So your savings is about $900 a year. Doubt the Saudis will feel it. 

What is the price of the vehicles? 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So far, the the best discount offered was 10,000 baht, on a 1.2 million baht vehicle. Are they serious? They are pretending as if everything is normal, yet every showroom is empty. Might start asking them how are vehicle sales compared to 2019? Look me in the eye and answer that question. LOL. 

Exacerbating the ‘problem' is likely that the Cross is a new model which they imagine commands less discount. Give it time..