Is a 4.2L toilet too weak?

gavin310

We're currently toilet shopping at Boonthavorn and for some reason all the toilets that we like are 3/4.2L. I'm thinking we want at least 4.5L or 4.8L, but I'm just going off of the old reputation that low-flow toilets get stuck too easily. Since there's no shortage of these 3.8-4.2L toilets, I'm wondering if maybe toilet "technology" has improved in modern times. Should a 4.2L toilet be fine? I'll be honest, I've clogged up a few toilets in my lifetime, and I'm hoping that our new toilets won't have that problem. I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine Toilets are like washing machines - depends on the load !

I had a Cotto toilet ,and a bucket on the side of it for those occasions !

I just  upgraded to a American Standard! I must admit ,I don't know the liter size ! I don't need the bucket anymore !

Edited by riclag
sentence

I recently looked at a couple of websites. There are new technologies.

a) Better flushing systems so that the water flushes from the best angles

b) Special coating so that nothing sticks to the surface

Look i.e. here. You can also download a catalog which explains the details and differences

https://th.toto.com/en/products/?category_products=toilets

I have no idea how much of that is marketing and how much is real.

I think the low-flow toilets flush great. I have three new ones in the last couple years, but the problem is that (unless I'm missing something) is the low water level in the bowl. Poop often sticks to the sides, so unless you flush first to wet the bowl, you often end up having to brush the bowl and flush again. 

If you are having trouble getting a good flush, first make sure the sewer is vented. If the old toilet is working correctly but does not flush well, replacing it will likely not help. 

I also have a ground-floor unit that did not flush well. It was over a sewer pipe that was about half full of sand. Once the sand was cleaned out it worked fine.

16 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

What are you saving the water for?

Actually, its to help prevent the cesspit filling too quickly. Bloke who empties it is a bit hit and miss so try to reduce amount of ****  going into it.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I recently looked at a couple of websites. There are new technologies.

a) Better flushing systems so that the water flushes from the best angles

b) Special coating so that nothing sticks to the surface

Look i.e. here. You can also download a catalog which explains the details and differences

https://th.toto.com/en/products/?category_products=toilets

I have no idea how much of that is marketing and how much is real.

Getting the load out of the pan is easy/not the problem, it's what it's connected to that really controls the overall efficiency. 

• Like 2

Captains log - Still won't flush, I'll try again later.

We have the 4.2L loos upstairs, mainly because Madam liked the style. The occasional mega-load needs a double (bum gun to pre-mangle), but we are both mostly pretty dainty on the poo side so no real issues.

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

...because Madam liked the... 

There is really no better reason to pick most anything, particularly something you care little about and that will likely require maintenance in the future...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the low-flow toilets flush great. I have three new ones in the last couple years, but the problem is that (unless I'm missing something) is the low water level in the bowl. Poop often sticks to the sides, so unless you flush first to wet the bowl, you often end up having to brush the bowl and flush again. 

If you are having trouble getting a good flush, first make sure the sewer is vented. If the old toilet is working correctly but does not flush well, replacing it will likely not help. 

I also have a ground-floor unit that did not flush well. It was over a sewer pipe that was about half full of sand. Once the sand was cleaned out it worked fine.

I recommend more roughage.