Blood Donation Needed - Blood Group O (Phra Nang Klao Hospital)

jax001

Hi guys,

My friend is very ill in Phra Nang Klao Hospital (link: https://goo.gl/maps/sA9UW5yrQ82QghXu7) and they desperately need a blood transfusion.

I am hoping anyone with Blood group O can donate at this hospital.

It is very easy to donate - all you have to do is just show them google translate with blood donate and they will send someone to you.

They are open Monday (to Friday) 9.00-12.00 to 13.00-15.30.

If you are unsure if you can donate blood here is the link: https://www.thephuketnews.com/passing-all-the-rules-for-donating-blood-in-phuket-57513.php

If anyone has also any tips on how to get this message out to a wider number of people I would be very grateful.

Thanks for any help - it is most appreciated!

(and please if you donate send me a PM so I can provide a bit of monetary help for any traveling expenses). 

• Like 1

The number of conditions for blood donors in your list is just too restrictive. Donors can't have high blood pressure, diabetes etc.

I know for those over 55 senior citizens, high blood pressure and diabetes are quite common.

What's this?....

avoid eating high-fat food such as Khow Man Kai, Khow Kha Moo, any deep-fried food, dessert or curry made from coconut milk.

Edited by EricTh

Hi thanks for posting.

Really the main restriction is are you between 18-55 and reasonably fit (e.g. don't have high blood pressure).

If people are worried, they can check the list, but its mainly common sense.

Thanks.

I'm 30 and in good health. O+ blood. Have donated before in Canada and Hong Kong, but never in Thailand.

A few questions: (i) Would a Tuesday donation be too late; (ii) do you know if your friend is O+ or O-; (iii) how do we make sure that the blood donated is earmarked for your friend?

• Like 1

Hi The Cipher

Thanks for any help you can give - its really appreciated!!!

(i) Tuesday would be great!

(ii) My friend is O+, so can use either O+ or O- blood.

(iii) Could you tell them its for Palin (Pay-lin), they will know who its for.

Thank you so much again.

Just a quick note - nearly 40% of people have O+ blood.

That means more than likely, even if you are unsure of your blood type, you probably have 0+, and you can donate!

Please help out!

Edited by jax001

Are you sure they should contact the hospital? Hospitals usually cannot accept blood donations. Usually have to go to nearest Red Cross donation center.

Also please recheck and give the full blood type including RH factor. As type 0 is very common  here but RH negative is rate I suspect what he needs is O negative.

15 hours ago, jax001 said:

Just a quick note - nearly 40% of people have O+ blood.

That means more than likely, even if you are unsure of your blood type, you probably have 0+, and you can donate!

Please help out!

Probably not since almost certainly what is needed is O negative.

OP did not specify but O+ is so common that it is unlikely there would be a need to post a request for it.

OP please confirm type

Blood donation is acceptable as long as your blood pressure is below 180 systolic (first number) and below 100 diastolic (second number) at the time of donation. Medications for high blood pressure do not disqualify you from donating????

On 6/20/2021 at 9:04 PM, Sheryl said:

Are you sure they should contact the hospital?

Just a quick update in response to your questions.

I called the hospital this morning - they told me that it is possible to donate directly at the hospital and also that all blood types are currently in short supply (including O+).

The hospital is a little far for me, but I'll try and swing by this afternoon or evening if @jax001's friend is still in need.

So I did this. Pretty wild experience. Leaving a mini-review here in case it helps others.

I'm famously not scared of Covid, but the hospital aesthetic and atmosphere during this time was a little spooky. Like a movie set.

Others thinking of doing this should consider bringing a Thai speaker/reader with them. The blood donation room is a little hard to find, and all relevant signs in the hospital are in Thai only. There is a three page form you will have to fill out - again, in Thai only. Don't count on the staff speaking English either.

You will have to take your weight and blood pressure at the door. I was not asked to show ID at any point.

There was a steady stream of young Thais that went in to donate too while I was there. Inspiring young men and women. The official closing time for the donation room is stated as 3:30pm, but it was still going strong when I left at about 4:15pm with new people arriving. Block off an hour of your day (not including travel) for the activity.

That's it. Best of luck to Palin. Hope they make it through!

146450.thumb.jpg.c45bc910eeebeecdf9183c6f785aea20.jpg

• Like 1