Digitalization Will Improve Thailand’s Competitiveness on Global Stage

webfact

b17b9dae1381c0ad63b76d291e3651a9_small.jpg

By Woraprat Lerpaisal

BANGKOK (NNT) - The National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC) has stated that Thailand needs to accelerate digitalization among its state agencies to facilitate ease of doing business, while workers need better technical skills to improve the country’s competitiveness on the global stage.

NESDC Secretary-General Danucha Pichayanan said another prescription involves restructuring the manufacturing sector towards technology, and Thailand should also ramp up basic infrastructure development and continue improving the quality of the country’s education system.

He said the Thai government still has a lot to do to improve its world competitiveness ranking and achieve its goal of becoming second in ASEAN over the next few years.

According to the 2021 world competitiveness rankings conducted by the Institute for Management Development (IMD), Thailand climbed one spot to 28th, boosted by improvements in employment and public finances. However, two ASEAN nations- Malaysia and Indonesia made the greatest gains, rising two places to reach 25th and three spots to reach 37th, respectively.

nnt.jpg

Investment in digital skills and the digitization of the economy is actually a huge opportunity for countries like Thailand.

If the government put serious funding in developing high-value skills that are relatively less capital intensive, like software engineering and machine learning, rather than pie-in-the-sky capital demanding projects like space travel, they might actually escape the middle income trap.

Like, imagine if every kid out in the provinces is encouraged to sit down to play by building and programming simple robots from age 5, with complexity scaling with age. Paradigm shift for Thailand in a single generation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, asiacurious said:

No.  I think they mean Windows 3.1 to Windows 95.  That would put them ahead of the curve by about 74 years!

Windows 95 at first run.png

Actually it means 'buy a computer'. Next year they will hatch a plan to learn how to turn it on.

Seriously, why is it that any Thai-based website I ever use - without exception - cannot work properly? Thais are, I believe, the world's third-biggest internet users but they have no idea when it comes to the tech involved.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the Thai government still has a lot to do to improve its world competitiveness ranking and achieve its goal of becoming second in ASEAN over the next few years

They do love a good ranking and a hub. That my be the issue.  Stop caring about insignificant rankings and put money into the infrastructure. Unless there has been a huge change in the last 3 years in Thailand and Bangkok, start with putting electricity underground. Simple but effective and the first start to being taken seriously.

Using the excuse of rain or the heat when electricity goes off isn't good enough. Get that fixed. then you can work on technology and upsklling people. Not being negative at all but you need the very basics first.

7 hours ago, mrfill said:

they should update their Windows XP to Windows 7 ?

I'm thinking I'll have to upgrade my XP to 7  soon as well  finding more and more programs that just will not run on XP ????

The comely nongs have their hi-tech act togeter at least, social media is poppin with profit-seeking pulchritude.

I hope these nefarious times mark the death knell for the barfine scene too.

To paraphrase Mel Gibson:     FREELANCE!!!