Twitter storm builds over sexual assault allegations against up-and-coming artist

webfact

yy.jpg

By Areeya Kunawaradisai

The hashtag #ศิลปินชายท่านหนึ่ง (#a certain male artist) was trending Monday after sexual assault allegations against an unnamed rising artist in the Thai contemporary art scene.

The alleged perpetrator assaulted five women during his time an arts faculty at Silpakorn University between 2016 and 2020, according to Twitter user luisjerion_, who said she spoke directly with all of the victims.

Out of the five cases, four victims were allegedly assaulted by the perpetrator while unconscious, and there was reportedly a witness at one assault.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/28798/twitter-storm-builds-over-sexual-assault-allegations-against-up-and-coming-artist/

ti.jpg
  • Sad 3

I wholeheartedly agree that speaking up is a big part of the solution… and i think having an environment that supports those who claim such is a key part..

that said, i ALSO think it’s critical to make sure that the accused — and that’s a key here “accused” - have their rights ALSO protected.

In that i think it’s fair to recognize that the initial claims of “He did X to me” or “She did X to me” tend to be widely covered— IF it turns out that He or She didn’t do that, or he/she were acquitted in court — that part doesn’t commonly get equal coverage.

So… i fully support the girls - or any victim of assault to come forward and inform the officials … (and yes, the officials MUST do their jobs after the complaint comes in) … and I also want to be sure the rights and assumption of innocence of the accused is ALSO respected - until some form of a recognized outcome (ie arrest, conviction, acquittal, etc) is made.

• Like 2