Alternative to Dry Idea (unscented) Roll on deodorant???

rjcampbe

@CharlieH

Thanks... I did see that, and it's on a couple of other ecommerce sites also, but as we both said it's very expensive with international shipping costs.

And that still doesn't guarantee that it won't get additional fees from customs when it arrives. Almost everything I've ever ordered from overseas has been both an extra expense and extra hassle when it arrived, so that's definitely not my first choice for multiple reasons.

That's why I hoped there was some other reasonably similar product available locally.

Any non gooey, non scented roll on would do the trick. I hope someone has a tip about a locally available product like that.

@johng

That's a reply I wasn't expecting. Kudos for giving me a full on belly-roll chuckle on that one.

I'm hoping that I can find a happy medium between the over branded /over scented metrosexual goo they sell next to the 37 varieties of hair wax and needing to file the sharp edges off a hunk of alum crystal from the wet market.

Surely, there must be some middle ground??

I know... don't call me Shirley. ????

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, rjcampbe said:

@CharlieH

Thanks... I did see that, and it's on a couple of other ecommerce sites also, but as we both said it's very expensive with international shipping costs.

And that still doesn't guarantee that it won't get additional fees from customs when it arrives. Almost everything I've ever ordered from overseas has been both an extra expense and extra hassle when it arrived, so that's definitely not my first choice for multiple reasons.

That's why I hoped there was some other reasonably similar product available locally.

Any non gooey, non scented roll on would do the trick. I hope someone has a tip about a locally available product like that.

Its below "custom' threshold and the shipping is about 30 baht ! Will take under 14 days, just for info.

I would recommend "Dove' roll on, thats lightly scented and not gooey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rjcampbe said:

@CharlieH

You can get the Alum crystal roll on in Pattaya,get a non scented natural version.you do have to make it wet but it dries ok.its long lasting and not expensive.It should only contain Ammonium Alum,good luck in translating the Thai labels.

@charlieH

What is the customs threshold?

As I said, early on in my stay here I ordered a few things and got nailed when it arrived. Both in terms of cost and just the hassle of having to deal with customs <deleted>. I'm kinda gun-shy on ordering international now. Maybe I need to rethink that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, adammike said:

You can get the Alum crystal roll on in Pattaya,get a non scented natural version.you do have to make it wet but it dries ok.its long lasting and not expensive.It should only contain Ammonium Alum,good luck in translating the Thai labels.

I should say it's a stick of Ammonium Alum in a plastic tube so no sharp edges,same size and shape as most of the deodorants you see.I think I even found some in a 7/11.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

whaaaaaaaaa 

776 baht for 100ml ???

There does seem to be some sort of monopoly or maybe luxury tax ?

on "deodorants" in Thailand

if you go to the  shops Boots,Watsons,Tesco"ssss  .Bigc etc  they have a very limited range especially "for men"  price is almost universally 150 +++  baht for 150 ml bottle

sometimes there are  BOGOF   specials  sometimes they have a better deal on

"own brand" products   mostly though it seems to me overpriced considering Thailand is a very hot and sticky country I would have thought they could sell  in bulk for a smaller profit    but as often the case here its " back to front"

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Farma said:

As already mentioned the blue one is alum, cheap around 70 baht and works for me.

The other one is a "natural" one and recommended for teens with high hormone levels who tend to sweat a lot. Around 90 baht. 

20210621_171549.jpg

The blue one is what I got in a 7-11.

23 minutes ago, Farma said:

As already mentioned the blue one is alum, cheap around 70 baht and works for me.

The other one is a "natural" one and recommended for teens with high hormone levels who tend to sweat a lot. Around 90 baht. 

20210621_171549.jpg

I use the one on the left, brilliant stuff, it doesn't stop you from sweating but it certainly stops you from smelling yucky, when I lived in the UK I used Mitchum roll on, not sticky, no overpowering fragrance, and it did the job, trouble is you can't buy it here, Nivea, which is krap, seems to have cornered the market here.

Get the Alum, with the shower running, make the stick wet, apply to armpits & then towel dry as  normal, you'll never have a problem again ????

43 minutes ago, adammike said:

Most of the large 7/11s have it. Grace Crystal Brand. 

44 minutes ago, rjcampbe said:

@charlieH

What is the customs threshold?

As I said, early on in my stay here I ordered a few things and got nailed when it arrived. Both in terms of cost and just the hassle of having to deal with customs <deleted>. I'm kinda gun-shy on ordering international now. Maybe I need to rethink that.

Baht 1,500 or foreign currency equivalent. Anything under that threshold should be duty free.  Excluding drugs and dildos, which are illegal regardless the price. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rjcampbe said:

@johng

That's a reply I wasn't expecting. Kudos for giving me a full on belly-roll chuckle on that one.

I'm hoping that I can find a happy medium between the over branded /over scented metrosexual goo they sell next to the 37 varieties of hair wax and needing to file the sharp edges off a hunk of alum crystal from the wet market.

Surely, there must be some middle ground??

I know... don't call me Shirley. ????

You will find the unscented crystal alum, shaped and in plastic containers for easy application, in most drug stores. It's effective and exceedingly long lasting.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Baht 1,500 or foreign currency equivalent. Anything under that threshold should be duty free.  Excluding drugs and dildos, which are illegal regardless the price. 

@GarryP
Damn. And here I was about to get high and order a <deleted>.

I felt a bit strange posting this topic, but seeing where we ended up I guess no boundaries were violated!

• Haha 1

Just now, rjcampbe said:

@GarryP
Damn. And here I was about to get high and order a <deleted>.

I felt a bit strange posting this topic, but seeing where we ended up I guess no boundaries were violated!

Hey... Why did you get to say <deleted> in your message but in mine they deleted it?

15 hours ago, xylophone said:

I use Nivea Men Silver Protect Ap/Deodorant which has no perfume and although a little sticky when applied, quickly dries and does the job.

Yeah...I swear by the Nivea brand....in this climate...works a charm on my malodorous self

• Like 1