Phuket tar balls ‘unlikely’ from Sri Lanka

webfact

1624271710_1-org.jpg

Photo: DMCR

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: The oil spill that has washed ashore Phuket beaches over the past week as tar balls is unlikely to have originated from the cargo vessel ‘X-Press Pearl’, which burned and sank off Sri Lanka last month, a leading Phuket marine life expert has explained.

Local environmental group Sustainable Mai Khao reported large tar balls strewn across large sections of Nai Yang Beach yesterday, while The Phuket News received independent reports of tar balls starting to wash ashore at Patong.

Oil first started washing ashore Phuket at Mai Khao Beach Sunday last week (June 13), but by Wednesday and Thursday last week (June 16-17) was starting the plague other popular beaches such as Kata and Nai Harn beaches, some 37 kilometres away at the southern end of the island.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tar-balls-unlikely-from-sri-lanka-80416.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-06-22

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

Why no explanation on why it is unlikely?!

What ? They did ...

“Some people link this phenomenon to Sri Lanka. However, we have checked the model for the tides and found that any oil spill [from the ‘X-Press Pearl’] should not affect the west coast of Thailand,” he said

9 hours ago, beechbum said:

You should read the main article.

I did, but somehow I missed that part.  Normally I skip the first paragraph of the actual article that’s linked because I’ve already read that on Thai Visa, so I must have skipped too much! ????

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1