Japan to donate AstraZeneca vaccines to Thailand

webfact

2021-06-21T090908Z_1_LYNXNPEH5K0CY_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine syringes are prepared as people are vaccinated against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at the Central Vaccination Center, inside the Bang Sue Grand Station, Thailand, June 21, 2021. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's health minister said on Monday Japan's government would donate some AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines, as the Southeast Asian country seeks to shore-up supplies after some early delays in its vaccinations.

An agreement would be signed on Thursday with the vaccines to be delivered around July, Anutin Charnvirakul said in a statement, which did not specify the quantity.

Thailand's mass vaccination drive, which started this month, relies heavily on AstraZeneca shots produced locally by a company owned by its king, which experienced some delays, also impacting Taiwan, Malaysia and the Philippines.

Thailand has for nearly three months been fighting its most severe coronavirus outbreak so far, which has accounted for 95% of its COVID-19 deaths.

It has planned a phased reopening to foreign tourists over the coming months, starting with the resort island of Phuket in July, but much depends on its progress in vaccinations.

Thailand has also used the Sinovac vaccine, some of which was donated by China, and has fully vaccinated 2.1 million of its more than 66 million people.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Martin Petty)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-06-22

• Sad 1

Phuket is reporting over 70% Vaccinated with at least one dose. Depends how you count. I predict they will reopen whatever the number is, or just make up a number to justify it. I think they realize their economy is on life support, and this is there last chance until 2022 to try to at least regain some tourism income, and save some jobs and companies.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Some inconsistencies in this reporting compared to yesterday.

yesterday at the signing Anutin said “in July”. Now it’s “around” July.

this article also says reopening depends on how vaccinations progress. The current situation in Phuket suggests nothing can be further from the truth. Fully vaccinated people in Phuket barely breaks 30% compared to the 70% needed….but never mind.

The government in Phuket think one jab is full vaccination. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gt162 said:

They are but Japanese like others want Pfizer and Moderna. And they can afford it. Americans already gave away AstraZenica to Canada and Mexico.

Canada did not get astra from the States. 

41 minutes ago, coastguard said:

Phuket is reporting over 70% Vaccinated with at least one dose. Depends how you count. I predict they will reopen whatever the number is, or just make up a number to justify it. I think they realize their economy is on life support, and this is there last chance until 2022 to try to at least regain some tourism income, and save some jobs and companies.

Depends how you look at it.

if Thailand gets put on red lists due to low vaccination rates, or the emergence of the beta strain as a force, at the same time as they loosen restrictions, then it’s their last chance to really blow up their economy in general and tourism in particular.

but I agree with you, and have been saying so for some weeks, Phuket will open come he’ll or high water.

20 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

There is something to be said about the government of a country that needs donations of the same vaccine it manufactures, and that something is not very flattering.

I would suggeat it's a slap in the face

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Is this what the Thai government have been waiting for? other countries to send donations.

Exactly , More donations, Less money they get to save on vaccines 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, arick said:

Canada did not get astra from the States. 

Astra hadn't been approved in the states. They  were rotting in a warehouse. -. MILLION doses given so the border could be reopened. 

1 hour ago, coastguard said:

"Phuket" may or may not be vaccinated, but the Tourist "gold rush" will bring miners from all over Thailand and quadruple it's population to scam serve the mass arrivals of tourists...

...this is the problem.

But I agree, they will open. They have invested to much face into this.

7 minutes ago, club said:

Exactly , More donations, Less money they get to save on vaccines 

So all these donations yet us dirty farangs still have to pay? wonder where that goes? ok dont ask

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think, maybe there is a misunderstanding here. anutin is not a diplomat.

Every story I see, it is anutin talking about a donation from Japan.

From Japan, I see "mulling".

This is a classic Thai move after meeting with foreign dignataries, where they spout what they wanted, asked, and not what was committed.

Japan to donate 1m COVID vaccine doses to Vietnam on Wednesday

Jabs for Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia considered in July

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Japan will donate 1 million coronavirus vaccine doses to Vietnam on Wednesday, Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi said.

Tokyo is also mulling donating amounts of COVID-19 vaccine to Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand in July, Motegi said in a news conference on Tuesday.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/COVID-vaccines/Japan-to-donate-1m-COVID-vaccine-doses-to-Vietnam-on-Wednesday

• Like 2

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

There is something to be said about the government of a country that needs donations of the same vaccine it manufactures, and that something is not very flattering.

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

I would suggeat it's a slap in the face

gotta find the face first

4 hours ago, club said:

The government in Phuket think one jab is full vaccination. 

And commentators on Thai Visa think one jab has absolutely no effect on a person's risk of getting covid or of having a severe case.

Could be they're both wrong.

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

And commentators on Thai Visa think one jab has absolutely no effect on a person's risk of getting covid or of having a severe case.

Could be they're both wrong.

They are both insane if they think that. Their is a reason the manufacturers of these Vaccines along with scientist recommend 2 jabs with a possible 3nd booster for full protection. 

2 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Japan's government would donate some AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines

"Some"? 5? a dozen? 100? 1,000? "Some" is such an exact number, ya think?

well... at least donate 'Enough'

- to shame the CPC with their Selling of the Doses

• Like 1