medical certificate to enter thailand

I received this email from royal thai consulate in LA asking for   section 1.3  "medical certificate with a lab result indicating covid-19 is not detected using RT-PCR etc etc "

• After the receipt of COE, please prepare the additional documents to declare at the check-in counter as follows
  • 1.1 Passport and valid Thai visa/ re-entry permit (if required)
  • 1.2 Certificate of Entry (COE)
  • 1.3 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued within 72 hours before departure (in case of connecting flights, before embarkation from initial port).

is the consulate referring to the result of the RT-PCR covid-19 as the medical certificate ?  or is there something else i am not aware of . hope to hear from someone who just went through this experience who can help clarify this . if you have an example please attach it to your response .

Medical Certificate is for the Visa and the lab report for RT-PCR test are two different documents.  The medical certificate is for the issuance of the Visa.  The RT-PCR test result is required at airline check-in once the OOE has been issued.  Look item #2 on n the response from the LA Consulate.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Medical Certificate is for the Visa and the lab report for RT-PCR test are two different documents.  The medical certificate is for the issuance of the Visa.  The RT-PCR test result is required at airline check-in once the OOE has been issued.  Look item #2 on n the response from the LA Consulate.  

Plain wrong! the requirement in section 1.3, as posted by @docinbangkok, is the result of the Covid-19 PCR test. They call it "medical certificate" because it will be stamped by a healthcare provider, i.e. hospital.

Previously, there was the requirement for a "fit-to-fly", but that was scrapped at the end of April already. 

@docinbangkok: There is a NEW document called "T8" which must be filled out and given to the immigration officer upon arrival, best to prepare that one in advance and also download the app that you will need to feed the COE-code and the COE-letter-code into. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Plain wrong! the requirement in section 1.3, as posted by @docinbangkok, is the result of the Covid-19 PCR test. They call it "medical certificate" because it will be stamped by a healthcare provider, i.e. hospital.

Previously, there was the requirement for a "fit-to-fly", but that was scrapped at the end of April already. 

@docinbangkok: There is a NEW document called "T8" which must be filled out and given to the immigration officer upon arrival, best to prepare that one in advance and also download the app that you will need to feed the COE-code and the COE-letter-code into. 

Do tell, where do we find this T-8 and the app you mention? 

disregard, just found it

• Entry to Thailand
  • 1. After the receipt of COE, please prepare the additional documents to declare at the check-in counter as follows
    • 1.1 Passport and valid Thai visa/ re-entry permit (if required)
    • 1.2 Certificate of Entry (COE)
    • 1.3 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued within 72 hours before departure (in case of connecting flights, before embarkation from initial port).
    • 1.4 Insurance or letter from employer guaranteeing that the insurance company or employer will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the total duration of stay in Thailand)
    • 1.5 T.8 Form (Health Declaration Form). You can download T.8 Form at https://bit.ly/34X6sAJ
    • * Documents (1.3) (1.4) (1.5) must be in English or Thai only. Certified translations into English or Thai are acceptable in the case that the original copy is in a foreign language.
  • 2. Please download and register Thailand Plus application. Download manual :: click
  • 3. The abovementioned documents in (1 ) and Thailand Plus application in (2) must be declared to the immigration and disease control officers once the passenger has arrived in Thailand.
Edited by drtreelove
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, docinbangkok said:

1.3 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued within 72 hours before departure (in case of connecting flights, before embarkation from initial port).

The wording on that is confusing and not completely correct.

When they say medical certificate it is the certificate for your covid 19 test. No separate medical certificate is required.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

Do tell, where do we find this T-8 and the app you mention? 

disregard, just found it

• Entry to Thailand
  • 1. After the receipt of COE, please prepare the additional documents to declare at the check-in counter as follows
    • 1.1 Passport and valid Thai visa/ re-entry permit (if required)
    • 1.2 Certificate of Entry (COE)
    • 1.3 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued within 72 hours before departure (in case of connecting flights, before embarkation from initial port).
    • 1.4 Insurance or letter from employer guaranteeing that the insurance company or employer will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the total duration of stay in Thailand)
    • 1.5 T.8 Form (Health Declaration Form). You can download T.8 Form at https://bit.ly/34X6sAJ
    • * Documents (1.3) (1.4) (1.5) must be in English or Thai only. Certified translations into English or Thai are acceptable in the case that the original copy is in a foreign language.
  • 2. Please download and register Thailand Plus application. Download manual :: click
  • 3. The abovementioned documents in (1 ) and Thailand Plus application in (2) must be declared to the immigration and disease control officers once the passenger has arrived in Thailand.

how about the ASQ hotel booking? or is it not required now ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

jesus...a new document...?? how do you hear about all those new documents?

how can i fly if i do not know about all the documents ???????

Start with a careful review of the online process as presented by your nearest Royal Thai Consulate General. As you proceed through the step by step process, you will receive the subsequent information and documents.  It's new, I got confused and misunderstood some things at first, and missed stuff, but the Los Angeles visa section was helpful, as is this forum.  What stage are you at? 

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

There is a NEW document called "T8" which must be filled out and given to the immigration officer upon arrival, best to prepare that one in advance and also download the app that you will need to feed the COE-code and the COE-letter-code into. 

It is not new. It has been a requirement to enter the country for over a year now.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

how about the ASQ hotel booking? or is it not required now ?

The ASQ reservation is required to get a COE (certificate of entry) that is number one on the list.

"Plain wrong"??  T8 is a health declaration form.  A medical certificate is signed by a doctor after an exam for the issuance of a visa.  Lab report after a nasal swab test (RT PCR) is not a medical certificate unless a Fit to Fly certificate is issued.  I went through process in Jan and Feb 2021.  I must be wrong because I flew into BKK, completed ASQ and flew up to CNX.?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Medical Certificate is for the Visa and the lab report for RT-PCR test are two different documents.  The medical certificate is for the issuance of the Visa.

4 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Depends on the Visa type.

For a Non Imm O-A Visa a general medical certificate is required for the Visa application.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Eligibility:
5. Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

» Visa and Certificate of Entry for Non-Thai nationals who wish to obtain a retirement visa or a long-stay visa (Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement) / O-A / O-X) or who is currently holding re-entry permit for such visas (thaiembdc.org)

9 hours ago, docinbangkok said:

thanks .

so all  RT-PCR test ,  will be  stamped by a healthcare provider ?

thanks for the info . have not had /seen one yet , thanks

By 'healthcare provider' I think Swiss1960 simply means that the official PCR test result document (that probably due to poor and ambiguous Thai translation the embassy is calling a 'medical certificate') must be stamped and/or signed by the provider of the test; i.e., the 'test provider' who is obviously 'medical'.

Thai authorities have an obsession with certificates similar to the US obsession with guns.

I would, however, recommend that you email your embassy/consulate with specific questions to clarify any confusion.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The wording on that is confusing and not completely correct.

When they say medical certificate it is the certificate for your covid 19 test. No separate medical certificate is required.

Do you know about the RT-PCR test requirement details: 

This is from a San Francisco Covid 19 test provider: 

1. Some Travel Destinations Do Not Accept Test Results With An Anterior Nares Collection Method. Patients Should Confirm This Test Is Acceptable For Their Travel Requirements Prior To Purchase.

It's talking about a medical certificate declaring you to be free of Covid 19, done within 72 hours of departure, as others have also explained. I am in rural Washington State and am waiting on our O-A Visas from the LA consulate as well. I have been searching for a place to obtain the rapid covid test that will also supply a certificate certifying it to be negative. It appears that there are not many places to get that stuff done here, at least not this side of the big cities like Seattle. It looks like certain Travel Clinics are going to be the most likely choice, but not all of those do it either.

30 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

It's talking about a medical certificate declaring you to be free of Covid 19, done within 72 hours of departure, as others have also explained. I am in rural Washington State and am waiting on our O-A Visas from the LA consulate as well. I have been searching for a place to obtain the rapid covid test that will also supply a certificate certifying it to be negative. It appears that there are not many places to get that stuff done here, at least not this side of the big cities like Seattle. It looks like certain Travel Clinics are going to be the most likely choice, but not all of those do it either.

I just flew back to the States (Seattle/Tacoma) I saw that some Walgreens and Rightaids were given Covid testing besides the vac.

7 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

A rapid covid 19 test will not be accepted. It must be a RT-PCR test.

From the COE website.

"(2) Medical certificate attesting that the traveler is free from COVID-19, using RT-PCR method, issued no more than 72 hours before travelling,"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

Check with Worksite Labs Scheduling – Worksite Labs

I just scheduled a 12 hour turnaround test with their operation at SFO  $150.  (the 24 hour results option is less $) 

It appears that they also have a testing site at SEA.  If that's where you are flying out of, you could go to a hotel a couple of days early and get your test and results before your flight. 

MasterPark Lot C
16025 International Blvd, SeaTac, WA 98188

7 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I just flew back to the States (Seattle/Tacoma) I saw that some Walgreens and Rightaids were given Covid testing besides the vac.

Yes, Walgreens and other pharmacies and urgent care clinics offer the PCR testing, but the problem is with the turnaround time and meeting the 72 hour test-to-flight time frame. Best to go with a testing program that is offering short turnaround results for international travel.  

12 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

Yes, Walgreens and other pharmacies and urgent care clinics offer the PCR testing, but the problem is with the turnaround time and meeting the 72 hour test-to-flight time frame.

The test itself does not have to be within 72 hours of departure. The test result certificate must be done within 72 hours.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

From the COE website.

"(2) Medical certificate attesting that the traveler is free from COVID-19, using RT-PCR method, issued no more than 72 hours before travelling,"

On 6/22/2021 at 3:27 AM, sqwakvfr said:

"Plain wrong"??  T8 is a health declaration form.  A medical certificate is signed by a doctor after an exam for the issuance of a visa.  Lab report after a nasal swab test (RT PCR) is not a medical certificate unless a Fit to Fly certificate is issued.  I went through process in Jan and Feb 2021.  I must be wrong because I flew into BKK, completed ASQ and flew up to CNX.?

The Fit to Fly certificate has been dropped from requirements for a while already.

The App requirement is a bit of an issue : impossible  to open it and make it work + absolutely no one asked for it upon arrival in Thailand. At least that was the case early March when I arrived in BKK. Since then I read comments online by several people who had the same experience, being unable to make the App work.

Note that it is a Thai characteristic to change the rules rather often, and also to state whatever the current rules are in a confusing way which leaves room to different interpretations depending whom you are talking to.

Why not ask clarifications from the Thai embassy or consulate you are dealing with? The one I dealt with was helpful and responsive.

On 6/22/2021 at 10:49 AM, bunnydrops said:

Those tests will not suffice, they will give you the tests, and the results, but will not supply a certificate...at least that's my understanding.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 5:38 PM, ubonjoe said:

A rapid covid 19 test will not be accepted. It must be a RT-PCR test.

From the COE website.

Thanks UJ

On 6/21/2021 at 6:05 PM, ubonjoe said:

The ASQ reservation is required to get a COE (certificate of entry) that is number one on the list.

I was under the impression that the ASQ reservation was not required until after the Visa was obtained, and then was to be obtained in order to get the COE, but when I applied for our Visas using the Thai e-Visa app last week, one of the steps asked for the ASQ reservation information.

1 hour ago, Lee4Life said:

Those tests will not suffice, they will give you the tests, and the results, but will not supply a certificate...at least that's my understanding.

That could very well be. I remember a sign saying overnight results, so I figured the sample was sent out. I assumed it would come back with certificate but had no reason to check.