Phuket Sandbox: First flights confirmed, 100,000 foreign tourists set to visit

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

And, claimed the TAT chief, they will be spending a total of 8.9 billion baht.

In my opinion, this is what this "sandbox" lark is all about - MONEY, MONEY, MONEY with public health issues regarding Covid-19 in second place! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dr B said:

I am sorry JCP108 but I think you have got your statistics wrong. The topic is called Conditional Probability, and it works such that, if there is a 1:200 risk that the test result is incorrect, when you do three tests there is only a 1:200x200x200 risk that all three are wrong. That is one in eight million, which is a pretty low risk.

I wasn't talking about the risk of getting three wrong tests. I was talking about the risk of getting one wrong test out of the three that are required and then ending up in a Thai hospital for a mandatory 14-day hospital stay. In Thailand, they will test you again. But, they will not let you back out of the hospital. So, additional tests (which I assume would come up negative due to our talking about someone who originally got a false positive). Your logic would be appropriate if it were the case that Thailand would do follow up tests and let you back out if the subsequent ones were negative. In that case, you would have to get three false positives in a row to get into, and stay in, a Thai hospital when not infected. Such is not the case in Thailand. Wish it were. So, when not infected, rather than having a 1 in 8 million chance of getting into and staying the hospital, it really is 1 in 67. (I have taken three statistics courses at the doctoral level.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I read somewhere there is only 100 passengers on them flights 5 flights bringing 10k a day, maybe Im missing something

You need to be able to count in Thai!  ????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, philba said:

"This is known to include the UK - the Thais hope the UK will give them an amber rating helping their nationals visit Thailand without restrictions on their return, notes Thaivisa." 

Thailand already has an Amber rating and there ARE restrictions on return to the UK.

You must have a negative Covid  test within 72 hours of your return flight.

You must fill in a Passenger Locator form before departure.

You must self isolate for 10 days on arrival.

You must pre-purchase Day 2&8 PCR tests to take during isolation.

Apart from that, it's plain sailing.....

From my understanding that "pre-purchase Day 2 and 8 PCR test go for a whopping 180 to 200 pounds apiece.  Your not allowed to get the ones being handed out for free.  Someone's making a killing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

I wasn't talking about the risk of getting three wrong tests. I was talking about the risk of getting one wrong test out of the three that are required and then ending up in a Thai hospital for a mandatory 14-day hospital stay. In Thailand, they will test you again. But, they will not let you back out of the hospital. So, additional tests (which I assume would come up negative due to our talking about someone who originally got a false positive). Your logic would be appropriate if it were the case that Thailand would do follow up tests and let you back out if the subsequent ones were negative. In that case, you would have to get three false positives in a row to get into, and stay in, a Thai hospital when not infected. Such is not the case in Thailand. Wish it were. So, when not infected, rather than having a 1 in 8 million chance of getting into and staying the hospital, it really is 1 in 67. (I have taken three statistics courses at the doctoral level.)

Neti pot, Betadine, Colloidal silver solution.  Bob's your uncle.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Carlos Primeros said:

yes, somebody really needs new batteries. After my calculations 100'000 tourists in 90 days would be about 1111 per day and not 10'000.....

all the batteries are already fitted in the tracking bracelets......

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

all the batteries are already fitted in the tracking bracelets......

So I guess some of you serial whiners gave up trying to say "Thais will never be able to pull it off" and now are going with the 'big brother' thing or suggesting it will turn into a zombie apocalypse or whatever other nonsense you can think of. Not once do I ever read any of you serial whiners admitting you were wrong.

I did a search for the endless threads about how the Pattaya Sukhumvit tunnel was going to flood the first time there is a monsoon and couldn't find them.   So this board makes it easy to be perpetually wrong about everything because it has no memory.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

I did a search for the endless threads about how the Pattaya Sukhumvit tunnel was going to flood the first time there is a monsoon and couldn't find them.   So this board makes it easy to be perpetually wrong about everything because it has no memory.

Try this;

Govt Mulls First Bangkok Underground Expressway - Bangkok News - Thai Visa Forum

It took me less than 30sec to find!!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

How long before Phuket gets included in the list I wonder.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all but essential travel to areas within the provinces on the Thailand-Malaysia border, including:

• Pattani
  • Yala
  • Narathiwat
  • Southern Songkhla province. This does not include areas north of and including the A43 road between Hat Yai and Sakom, and areas north-west of and including the train line which runs between Hat Yai and Pedang Besar.

Why, please tell us, would Phuket be included in the list? Has there ever been Islamic terrorism? Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat have been on the list for many years, due to the obvious reason. 

15 hours ago, connda said:

From my understanding that "pre-purchase Day 2 and 8 PCR test go for a whopping 180 to 200 pounds apiece.  Your not allowed to get the ones being handed out for free.  Someone's making a killing.

Cheapest set is just over £100.

On 6/22/2021 at 8:35 AM, webfact said:

This is known to include the UK - the Thais hope the UK will give them an amber rating helping their nationals visit Thailand without restrictions on their return, notes Thaivisa. 

Idiots! Thailand already has an amber rating from the UK government which means Uk nationals are only allowed to travel to Thailand for essential reasons and must pay for two tests on return and test negative before return and 10 day self quarantine.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, madmen said:

Nonsense just like GPS bracelets. You should stop believing in the press especially Thailand 

Maybe not 1-3 days but according to the article, visitors have to wait in their hotel room for a PCR result. Let's hope its quick eh!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Maybe not 1-3 days but according to the article, visitors have to wait in their hotel room for a PCR result. Let's hope its quick eh!

I wonder if that article means that people coming to play in the sandbox from Europe and the USA don't have to do three PCR tests during their 14-day stay.

FYI...for those tens of thousands of tourists flying in on on qatar airways be advised that in one section of their site it states a covid test must be withing 72 hours of DEPARTURE and in another part, specific to Phuket, it states twice that  the test must be within 72 hours of ARRIVAL. Below is cut and pasted...

"... a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test certificate issued within 72 hours prior to departure from their point of origin."

• Phuket: All arrivals at all points of entry to Phuket need to provide evidence of:

A certificate of negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test result issued within 72 hours of arrival

• Effective 1 July, travellers arriving in Phuket under the Phuket Sandbox Plan will be required to present a certificate of negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test result issued within 72 hours of arrival.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

This will be easier to read

470683202_ScreenShot2021-06-25at07_36_30.png.04c0e547c350303bbf5783491feb33f9.png

Insane amount of bureaucracy for a 2 week stay on the Island with a total of what 4 PCR tests now at their expenses.....well I am sure there will be a few that jump through the hoops, but 100,000, they are off their rockers.  Yet if they pull it off it tells me that people are willing to sell their souls to come to Thailand even in the face of entertainment venues being open.  Must be the new Family friendly Phuket.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Insane amount of bureaucracy for a 2 week stay on the Island with a total of what 4 PCR tests now at their expenses.....well I am sure there will be a few that jump through the hoops, but 100,000, they are off their rockers.  Yet if they pull it off it tells me that people are willing to sell their souls to come to Thailand even in the face of entertainment venues being open.  Must be the new Family friendly Phuket.

Yes, unbelievable what's required for a 2 week holiday

• Like 2

I'll be flying from the US and I can't imagine someone at Phuket airport looking at the location of my Covid result, figuring out the time zone of my test (Phuket is actually 12 hours ahead of where I am) and then doing the math to calculate what time  test the would need to be so it was 72 hours before my arrival. 

• Haha 1