Used Motorbike Buying Advice

dddave

I recently moved to Jomtien Beach as a temporary escape from Bangkok, perhaps for a year or two or at least until the hoards return.  I'm looking to buy two used motorbikes, one for myself and one for my niece who is here also.

I looked at long term rental but at minimum B24,000 baht a year for a decent bike, it really makes more sense to buy something decent used for the same money or less and be able to sell it when we finally leave, at least getting something back.  There seem to be a lot of used bikes on the market just now for pretty reasonable prices. 

Use will be just running around Jomtien and Pattaya.  No hi-way excursions to far away locations envisioned.  It'd be nice to have a PCX or Aerox 150 but far beyond my budget.  For me; I'd really like to find a decent older 125 Wave but most are manual transmission.  Though I've driven manual transmission motorcycles all my life, my advanced age and Pattaya area traffic makes me think I'd be better off with automatic. I guess there are some Waves with auto but scarce.  Maybe a "Click"?  I'm open to suggestions.  I'm looking to spend maximum B25,000 per bike.  Probably 40,000K maximum km, age less important than condition.  A lot of rental agencies around the Pattaya area seem to be selling off inventory but I'd rather buy a single or two owner bike than a rental as they tend to get abused.

My niece seems to like the Yamaha Fino.  Quite a few of them for sale, often at under B20K with fairly low mileage.  Too small for me but not bad for her.  There also seem to be a lot of Yamaha 125 Mio's available.  Again, a good size for her.  Any specific things to look out for with these models?

I'm looking for suggestions or any observations on common used motorbikes; especially known weaknesses of particular models and what to look for.   I'm not in a big rush as the BOLT car service is currently so incredibly cheap, I can use them to go anywhere.

If anybody knows of a good, well maintained motorbike for sale in the area, please PM me.

Edit: forgot to ask.  What is the transfer and registration process when buying from a private party?  I know it's been covered here before but I couldn't find it.  Link?"

Also, the owner of one bike I checked out that seemed a very good deal said she was missing the tax stamp from 61.  I vaguely recall reading that a missing tax stamp can cause major issues in the transfer process.  True or not?

Edited by dddave

Mio & a Click for you job done. 

No issues with either just give a service. 

No issues either at DLT office with road tax not been paid on a bike.

If you bought the bike with road tax last paid in 61 you pay the back tax years. 

To buy 2 bikes you must get 2 residence cert at Immigration Jomtien.

You need sales contract(s) before res cert., last checked.

Tubeless wheels/tire are desirable,

else frequent pumping.

Nice Yamaha Nouvo can be found

at your price range.

Big enough for you & her.

Edited by papa al

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I guess there are some Waves with auto

There are no Waves  with an auto gearbox     the Wave has a semi auto gearbox -auto clutch manual gear change,  very easy to ride,has engine braking, almost indestructible but every shade tree mechanic can fix them if they do go wrong..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Took my Airblade in for some parts that year - saw one on the showroom floor.

Rare bike now - never seen another one. Would buy one just to restore it.

I believe I saw one on FB marketplace.  I'll post a link if I can find it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

They did make full auto Waves

Not many, not for long, and not for a while now.

Not popular.

poorer fuel economy vs reg Wave.

still have chain to maintain

worst of both worlds.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 2:24 PM, johng said:

well you learn something everyday

https://smokybike.com/7888/honda-wave-110i-at#slide49609

I think I may have seen one once   I was wondering why/how the owner was kick starting it with kick starter on the left hand side of the bike.

826915904_Screenshot_2021-06-22HondaWave110iATSmokyBike.png.106c139c9db65256c6c78639adabb8bd.png

I looked for one for a while. Then gave up and bought a ZoomerX. For the 7-Eleven run the Zoomer is more practical and one can fit a case of beer on the floorboard. I can still play with the CVT on a Zoomer. In town I am unlikely to ever need to go faster than 80 kph. Engine same size but more trick stuff for the Wave engine.

I still like the wave AT for the novelty value. Just couldn't find one locally.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

have a look at the gt125 great bike cheaper than the click

The Click is just the better bike, comparing just the price tag doesn't make much sense. I think both bikes are priced reasonable for what they offer, you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

Just now, jackdd said:

The Click is just the better bike, comparing just the price tag doesn't make much sense. I think both bikes are priced reasonable for what they offer, you get what you pay for.

I have ridden both and don't necessarilly belive the click is any better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I have ridden both and don't necessarilly belive the click is any better.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Could you both elaborate a bit and give what you see as pros and cons between the two?

Just now, dddave said:

Could you both elaborate a bit and give what you see as pros and cons between the two?

The most noticeable (and objective) difference is that the GT125 has 9.5HP and the Click125 has 11.1HP, that's 17% more and you can definitely feel this if you ever go slightly faster or up a mountain.

In my opinion the build quality also is just better, just touch it and ride it, the Click feels better, but this is of course subjective and somebody might disagree.

Another objective pro for the Click is the higher resale value simply because it's a Honda. Effectively the Click might even turn out to be cheaper if you calculate purchase price minus selling price after a few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1