Phuket Sandbox: Foreign tourists will find more than three quarters of businesses shut

webfact

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As happens often, the article is mixing up patong and Phuket. 

True, but you know more like 90% closed Patong, Karon, Kata. Chalong and Rawai are mostly open. But genuine tourists want the main beach resorts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

As happens often, the article is mixing up patong and Phuket. 

tourists go to patong.. expats live in phuket ????

first 5 times i went there i didn't even know how to get to the next bay lol

Edited by GeorgeCross

I'm amazed this business I went to today isn't shut.   My Thai is intermediate, and my fingers work....

I POINT to this drink I want...... lady looks at me.  we have a little small talk.  She puts ice in a glass and grabs the wrong bottle.  

I say NO, I want this one......pointing.   touching the bottle.   Thai, fingers......lol

she immediately grabs another bottle and pours......

I act like I'm the most confused man on the planet for about 5-seconds, no words.......can't lose face, smile, make eyes looks like I just saw something impossible to explain.

i won't go back, but next time I'll pour it myself........ 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, bolt said:

me

after completing 2 ASQ, This Sandbox sounds WONDERFUL

i'm trying to decide where to book, i can rent a car or bike.

is Kata good enough or totally dead

Kata is very quiet.  Almost all 7s closed along beach side. Few open on main Patak road.  Need to search for restaurants on beach road.  More open on main Patak road.  Tumble weed blowing down road not exaggeration. Kata beach car parks north and south end have a good selection of food carts every day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

me

I will subject myself to it for the same reason. Stayed near Ao Nang beach, Krabi, a couple of months back and will look around there. Home is just outside Patong.

Kata is quiet, but the beach is the same as before, of course, less some people! 

6 minutes ago, aussieinphuket said:

i live in Phuket (surin beach) and its more then 80 pct of businesses closed. in surin everything is gone except for one 711 and one family mart... the whole place is like a ghost town not just at surin beach but everywhere in phuket i actually saw a facebook post from a family who arrived and are staying in patong and looking for somewhere else to move to as they said nothing is open, if you live here its actually ok as no mini-bus taxis on the roads and obviously less taxis also so much easier to get around. why on earth would a restaurant re-open start up again with obviously no guarantee of tourists coming and wasting more money.. friends of mine wont open their resorts until they can see definite numbers coming and they cannot operate on just 500/1,000 thb a nite for accommodation. i spoke with one very well known thai hotel golf course owner here today and he thinks its a joke.... i tend to believe him..

Its nice to hear the truth, Thank you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bolt said:

me

I wonder if all the tourists coming know what they are in for?

• Haha 1

Living in bkk, I went to phuket, kata beach, when it opened back up for domestic tourism last july. I went every month for 4-5 days.

Although the beach was great, after 3 months, I stopped going because it was just too boring with only a few small restaurants to choose from and no shops or tours.

The idea of jumping through all the hoops and extra expense to make a long trip here for that experience for 14 days seems crazy.

I can imagine the conversions going on in tourist household worldwide "honey lets go to phuket, just have to do all this restriction stuff, oh and BTW, most places are closed, including all nightlife."  "are you daft, phuket will still be there next year, lets just go when they have everything sorted"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

That means that over three quarters of the main tourist area will simply be closed down for the arrival of what government officials have been saying will be 100,000 tourists for a kind of soft opening of Thailand.

Phuket, soft opening... I'm not saying anything.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

6 feet under, choose another beach for your sanity of mind

thanks but where????, or do you think i should stay locked in an ASQ room for 14 days is better

• Like 1