Child new French passport has no stamp - an issue for exiting Thailand?

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the absence of immigration stamp in my 6 y.o. daughter's French passport.

I renewed her passport on Feb 2020 at the French embassy in BKK therefore she now has a new French passport. They took her old passport but gave me a copy of the main page and visa/stamp page which shows the last stamp she obtained upon arriving in Thailand on July 2019. At the time, I (her mum) was on Elite visa and it was understood (and confirmed) that my daughter didn't need any visa. My Elite visa expired on April 2021 but I obtained several Covid extensions so I am now on my latest Covid 60 days extension. As I prepare to fly out of Thailand at the end of July with my daughter, I am wondering: will I be in trouble at Suvarnabhumi airport immigration knowing that my daughter's new passport has not been stamped in almost 2 years? I read in several websites that there is no fine and no overstay for children under 15 y.o. but is this true/does anyone have any experience regarding this matter? Thanks!! 

Normal procedure is that they would of given the old passport back so the stamps could be transferred at immigration.

When she leaves the country take the copies the embassy gave you. Are they stamped as certified copies done by the embassy. Immigration can check the records to confirm the copies are valid and reinstate them to her new passport.

Children under the age of 15 are not fined for a overstay but they still do a stamp when leaving that they overstayed.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your prompt response, I appreciate. The French embassy keeps old passports, they don't give them back (I asked) so I reckon the Thai immigration is aware of this. And yes I have embassy-stamped copies of her old passport, so I'm hoping this will be acceptable. For the rest I had the same understanding as you. Sorry one more question: in your experience, does this overstay stamp on her passport mean that it will be complicated for her to return to Thailand after? Or does it not really count for children? We do intend to return back to hubby/daddy after our European break! Thanks again

It will not be a problem for her to re-enter the country. The stamps done are not the normal one for young children.

It would be best if she got long stay extension of some kind.

One option would be for her to get a extension of stay based upon attending school. If she was enrolled in school before leaving she could get a non-ed visa before entering the country by applying for it at a embassy. The non-ed visa would allow a 90 day entry.

Not sure if it would help but I would take new passport and copies of old to immigration to see if they will transfer stamps before leaving. May save problems or delays at airport.

I took my Thailand born son out on a new Australian passport. I had to show original birth certificate and they stamped passport saying has Australian citizenship but born in Thailand and hence no entry stamp.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It will not be a problem for her to re-enter the country. The stamps done are not the normal one for young children.

It would be best if she got long stay extension of some kind.

One option would be for her to get a extension of stay based upon attending school. If she was enrolled in school before leaving she could get a non-ed visa before entering the country by applying for it at a embassy. The non-ed visa would allow a 90 day entry.

Q? Can the child not have also a Thai Passport??

11 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Go and see the Elite desk with all papers and take your daughter along; take it from the horse's mouth...... 

I can assure you they will not do anything since the child is not on their Thai Elite membership.

Not sure which "Elite desk" you are writing about.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I can assure you they will not do anything since the child is not on their Thai Elite membership.

Not sure which "Elite desk" you are writing about.

The child was, most likely, on a visa by one of the parents; details would be visible on the said page of the old stay permit. 
Anyhow, what I meant is go back to the place/authority which stamped the child's old passport. Worst case = see the Mother of all Immigration offices on Chaengwattana Road. Can't be that difficult - let common sense prevail! 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No

Neither parent is Thai and apparently she was not born here. She entered on a visa or visa exempt.

Before 79 (I guess) foreigners born in Thailand could have THai nationality but they changed that. I know a farrang guy with a Thai passport who was born here with the parents being farrang,