Any experiences with Chevrolet Sonic? Ford Fiestas

I was wondering does anyone have any experience with Chevrolet Sonic car? Or Ford Fiestas? I am planning on buying a car, preferably something smaller so its easier to park. Recently I saw so many Chevrolet Sonics and Ford Fiestas for sale around 160k.. Any idea why ppl sell them so much? And is is a good purchase, how about the parts and repairs? Any input  or other  option appreciated!

They are budget cars, not really designed for longevity. That's why they are cheap secondhand. There's also quite a few posts about the poor standard of servicing one gets at the dealerships.

Buy cheap and nasty, that's what one gets.

• Like 2

Any second hand car will be fine if maintenance has been done.

I would stay away from the Ford Focus and its clones due to DCT problems. Class action lawsuits world wide for Fords failure to repair/replace cars affected.

Chevrolet has pulled out of Thailand. Most sked maintenance parts will be available for quite a while, but body parts in case of a fender bender will become more and more hard to source.

• Like 1

Fiesta are notorius for the DCT gear that fails due to high heat and stop start traffic, just the combination for Bangkok - massive fine in Australia, in Thailand with lax customer protection law and the car now out of warranty... that's whey they're so cheap now, 

• Like 1

I bought a new 2013 Ford Fiesta for my wife, we only had one issue after 8 years and I think we actually caused it when we let Somchai the stereo guy add LED lights. My step son has it now and it has been fine. As others have mentioned both Ford and Chevrolet stopped selling cars, Chevrolet has abandoned Thailand all together. That's why they are selling at a lower cost. 

• Like 2

We've been driving our Ford Fiesta for 7 years now. Very pleased with it. No problems. And excellent service from our local dealer. But we bought it brand new, so can't really comment on buying one now second hand. I would think that would not be a good idea unless it has a full service history.

• Like 2

I had a 1.6l Fiesta Sport. Did have a minor clutch issue, but it was quickly sorted out. Very peppy, excellent handling, and a stereo that punched well above it's weight. Seats wear surprisingly comfortable, so suitable for longer 5 hour+ drives.

• Like 1

Fiestas have had many recalls around the world sufficient for Ford to withdraw from the small car market in Thailand. Would advise very much against it. We have had recall problems on engine overheating, gearbox malfunctions and even rear doors flying open

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

They are budget cars, not really designed for longevity. That's why they are cheap secondhand. There's also quite a few posts about the poor standard of servicing one gets at the dealerships.

Buy cheap and nasty, that's what one gets.

Fiesta is a great little car, most of the service stories I think are bull, i've never had a problem with Ford service centres.

• Like 1

Bought a Chevrolet Sonic LTZ hatchback 2nd hand from a Chevrolet dealer three years ago. It was 4 years old with very low mileage and full Chevrolet Service history. Apart from replacing tyres and a couple of other routine maintenance jobs it has been great. The service we get from the local Chevrolet dealer in Chiang Mai is excellent. Overall very happy with the car and the ongoing Chevrolet servicing. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:58 AM, skorts said:

Bought a Chevrolet Sonic LTZ hatchback 2nd hand from a Chevrolet dealer three years ago. It was 4 years old with very low mileage and full Chevrolet Service history. Apart from replacing tyres and a couple of other routine maintenance jobs it has been great. The service we get from the local Chevrolet dealer in Chiang Mai is excellent. Overall very happy with the car and the ongoing Chevrolet servicing. 

Are the Chevy dealers selling any cars or are they just doing Chevy servicing? Seems like it would be more and more difficult to stay in business as Chevys depart this world.

I bought a 2015 Ford Fiesta S demo with 108 km, in Feb 2016 from the Ford dealer in Surin for 590,000 baht. The only expenses besides oil and filter service have been a cabin air filter, a pair of windshield wiper blades and a new battery 3 months ago. Maintenance was performed by Ford, while under warranty but Cockpit now does the oil and filter changes.

The fuel usage averages 33-34 liters per 500 km local driving and even better on longer road trips at 110-125 kmh. The interior has lots of room, the seats are comfortable, excellent steering response, acceleration and braking. I've also never experienced any of the issues other posters have referred too.  It is the first Ford product I've ever owned, but I have no complaints or regret the purchase. I will admit that if I was still living in the US, I probably wouldn't consider buying any Ford. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Are the Chevy dealers selling any cars or are they just doing Chevy servicing? Seems like it would be more and more difficult to stay in business as Chevys depart this world.

The Chevy dealers are not selling any cars. The dealer I go to in Chiang Mai is now selling Ford vehicles so assume Ford has taken over that side of the business. 
The Chevy servicing side is very busy and they still wear their Chevy uniforms. Whenever I have been the service waiting area and car park has been busy with Chevy customers and vehicles. Apart from not selling cars you would not notice any difference. 
Clearly over time things will change and parts might become more difficult to source but as a service customer it is business as usual for the time being. 

22 hours ago, skorts said:

The Chevy dealers are not selling any cars. The dealer I go to in Chiang Mai is now selling Ford vehicles so assume Ford has taken over that side of the business. 
The Chevy servicing side is very busy and they still wear their Chevy uniforms. Whenever I have been the service waiting area and car park has been busy with Chevy customers and vehicles. Apart from not selling cars you would not notice any difference. 
Clearly over time things will change and parts might become more difficult to source but as a service customer it is business as usual for the time being. 

Wow! I can't imagine Ford and Chevy co-existing. Document it and send it to the news in America. I guess it really helps Ford expand its presence.

They sell Fords but don't service them? That's kind of weird.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Wow! I can't imagine Ford and Chevy co-existing. Document it and send it to the news in America. I guess it really helps Ford expand its presence.

They sell Fords but don't service them? That's kind of weird.

They may service Fords there too but I only see Chevy staff when I go. There are other Ford garages in Chiang Mai too. 

@SpeedFreakz

I'm in about a similar situation as you, thinking of buying a cheap, small car once I'm back to Thailand - hopefully in September. Don't want to spend more than THB 230k for the car. Prefer a hatchback, as I don't need the trunk.
So the models which are affordable are Ford Fiesta, Chevi Sonic, MG 3 and probably a Suzuki Swift or a Mazda 2 if you are lucky to find a good deal.  
What I know is that thais don't like Ford and Chevi, they are more into Toyota, Honda etc. But about the quality I have no idea. I've only read about the transmission problems of the Fiestas. 

Edited by ChaoPhraya

7 hours ago, ChaoPhraya said:

@SpeedFreakz

I'm in about a similar situation as you, thinking of buying a cheap, small car once I'm back to Thailand - hopefully in September. Don't want to spend more than THB 230k for the car. Prefer a hatchback, as I don't need the trunk.
So the models which are affordable are Ford Fiesta, Chevi Sonic, MG 3 and probably a Suzuki Swift or a Mazda 2 if you are lucky to find a good deal.  
What I know is that thais don't like Ford and Chevi, they are more into Toyota, Honda etc. But about the quality I have no idea. I've only read about the transmission problems of the Fiestas. 

Yes, Thais don't like shoes with laces either...

Chevy and Ford should currently both be good BARGAIN vehicles in Thailand. If you can get one in good shape that is significantly cheaper than anything else in its class/age/mileage, it is a good buy. 

The Swift and the Mazda 2 will likely command a premium over the MG. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, skorts said:

They may service Fords there too but I only see Chevy staff when I go. There are other Ford garages in Chiang Mai too. 

I think most people expect to be serviced where they buy the vehicle. Where you have a relationship. Where you can yell at someone for selling you a lemon.  555

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChaoPhraya said:

@SpeedFreakz

Another option on  my list is Mazda 2 or 3.  It seems like a decent car for the price range.

A few months ago I had rented a ford fiesta in the US right before returning to Thailand, LOVED!!! driving it. So much so that I an thinking of getting one here as a second car. The only thing I did not like about it was that IMO the passenger seat was too low. 

I think reported problems are exaggerated, Every other economy rental car in the US was a Ford Fiesta, I don't think  .rental companies would be buying cars that are problematic.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

A few months ago I had rented a ford fiesta in the US right before returning to Thailand, LOVED!!! driving it. So much so that I an thinking of getting one here as a second car. The only thing I did not like about it was that IMO the passenger seat was too low. 

I think reported problems are exaggerated, Every other economy rental car in the US was a Ford Fiesta, I don't think  .rental companies would be buying cars that are problematic.  

I'm sure the Ford Fiesta is a great little car (I had an '89 Festiva) and agree the problems are likely exaggerated (much like all the Ranger problems that were reported)   but rental companies only keep cars for a year. They buy whatever is most cost effective.

I'm on my second Sonic - well my wife is but I use it when I'm in country. There's nothing wrong with them, they are very underated - try one.  The LTZ has the highest spec but the LT is fine.

The 1.4 engine has a little bit more pep than others in the class with 1.0 or 1.2 engines.  I'm an ex mechanic and carry out my own repairs - not that I've needed to do much.  The latest one hasn't needed anything yet - the previous one, apart from normal servicing, went through a set of front ball joints and an ignition coil pack during the time we owned it - 60,000km (total mileage around 120,000km).  The ball joints were not available separately in Thailand - only a complete lower suspension arm. I obtained a pair of joints in the UK for around 800 baht and fitted them to the existing arms. The ignition pack was around 6000 baht I believe - you can get them for half that but they will most likley be low quality and let you down before long.

The hatchback cabin is roomy (in context) and better looking than the saloon. With the back seats down you'll get a fridge in but with them up you'll not get much more than one large suitcase in.  I doubt many cars in this group will have cavernous luggage space.

I haven't had any problems locating spares - I believe Chevrolet guaranteed to continue supplying parts for 10 years after they pulled out of Thailand?  Not that you would need to go to them for most service/wearing parts - clutches, brakes and suspension parts of OE quality are available at aftermarket parts shops and online. The engine and gearbox are used in other GM models - I doubt you'll need to worry about parts.

The 1.4 engine is fitted with a cam chain not a belt so you won't have that expense/worry.  Not sure about the 1.6 but they are very rare.

As with most used cars in Thailand, you stand a better chance of getting a looked after car if you buy from a foreign owner.  Watch out for previous accident repairs and always get the car inspected before you part with your cash. Don't take a stamped up service book as gospel - ask to see the bills or contact the dealer.

Fiesta/Focus?  Unless you can find a manual - avoid them at all costs. As others have said, the autos are plagued with gearbox faults that will cost you plenty. Most people know about these faults - hence the cheaper prices. If you buy one it will probably not end up being a cheap car.

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

As with most used cars in Thailand, you stand a better chance of getting a looked after car if you buy from a foreign owner.

Not in my experience.

I have been subject to an attempted rip off twice in my time here - both by foreigners.

It is  MYTH that foreigners take better care of their cars than Thai people.

Look at the posts on the Motor Forum - most know SFA about cars, so how can they be trusted to know what to do to keep them running right ?

You stand a better chance of not getting ripped off if you check the car over - damage is easy to see. Lack of oil changes the same. As is coolant and every other thing that can go wrong.

Edited by canthai55

On 7/3/2021 at 7:19 AM, canthai55 said:

Not in my experience.

I have been subject to an attempted rip off twice in my time here - both by foreigners.

Then you have been unlucky. There's good and bad in all races.

I've bought 2 cars and 1 motorbike from foreign owners - all of which have been well serviced and taken care of - the bike especially, it had been owned by a fanatic. That is not to say every case will be the same - there is no guarantee but foreigners seem to have more of an understanding that basic maintenance is a necessity. By contrast, I've seen engine oil in Thai owned vehicles that you could stand a stick up in. My wife's brother in law is an ex mechanic but he is no better - I've never seen as much dust in an air filter as I found in his Civic and he had no idea when the oil was last changed.  How many times have you been in a Thai taxi with the rear wheel bearings humming away?  I don't use taxis much in my home country but I've never heard that in a taxi here.  Thai's in general, not all, seem to have a very lax attitude to vehicle servicing.

Whether I was buying from a Thai or a foreigner, I'd want to see receipts for servicing - I would never trust a stamp in a service book.  People don't need to know about cars, all they need to know is that they need regular oil changes etc. - garages do the actual maintenance.

Yes, in general you can tell if a car has been serviced but I don't understand your comments regarding oil and coolant - in relation to a general member of the public.  Once a few thousand miles have passed since the last oil change for example, all engine oil looks old - especially that in a diesel engine.  It would have to be extremely old for you to know its well past its useful life.  I can tell if oil is still likely to be doing its job by its feel and smell but I doubt Joe Public can.

Once upon a time we used flushing oil to clean an engine before filling with new oil - modern engine oil contains additives that are supposed to negate the need for flushing.  It is impossible to drain all the old oil from an engine via normal methods so there is always a small amount of the old oil left which will mix with the new and discolour it - a simple sight test won't tell give you an accurate estimate.

As for checking for damage - you may find it easy to see but again, Joe Public won't.  That is why I advise people to get a secondhand vehicle checked by a professional - whether the previous owner was Thai or foreign. 

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1