Thailand to narrow gap for AstraZeneca shots in bid to curb Delta variant

snoop1130

2021-06-22T092817Z_1_LYNXNPEH5L0DH_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SNAPSHOT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A health worker prepares a dose of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at the Central Vaccination Center, inside the Bang Sue Grand Station, Thailand, June 21, 2021. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Thai medical committee has agreed to narrow the gap between doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to eight weeks from 10-12 weeks previously in places where there has been outbreaks of the Delta variant, an official said on Tuesday.

Areas where the more contagious Delta variant, first identified in India, had been detected could "adjust the timing for the second dose," said Kiatiphum Wongrajit, permanent secretary at the public health ministry.

The move comes after Thailand last week abandoned plans for a 16-week gap between AstraZeneca doses in a bid to stretch vaccine supplies to reach more people.

Thailand reported the first instance of the Delta variant in Bangkok last month and up to now it has spread to 20 provinces with over 660 cases recorded.

Thailand's vaccination drive, which uses a mix of Sinovac and AstraZeneca shots, faced delays a week after it started in June due to limited supplies. About 2.2 million people are fully vaccinated from a population of over 66 million.

Bangkok, the epicentre of the latest outbreak, with around an average of 1,000 new infections per day, has only 20 beds left for coronavirus patients in critical condition at government hospitals in the city, said health official Somsak Akksilp.

Thailand reported 4,059 new infections on Tuesday, bringing the total number of cases to 225,365 and 1,693 fatalities, with more than 85% infections and 95% of deaths coming since April.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-06-22

1 minute ago, kynikoi said:

Serious question... In what other country are they waiting 16 weeks in order to provide the second vaccine? I'm guessing absolutely zero but I will leave the question open.

Absolutely absurd

I did read Spain were doing it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kynikoi said:

Serious question... In what other country are they waiting 12++ weeks in order to provide the second vaccine? I'm guessing absolutely zero but I will leave the question open.

The whole disaster is pitched as some sort of plan when in reality it's just lack of vaccine. How abysmally cynical.

Absolutely absurd

33 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

About 2.2 million people are fully vaccinated from a population of over 66 million.

ABOUT = less than

Wow, 64 MILLION to go.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

much nonsense here. ignore previous failures. quit the constant negativity.

thailand is not UK. never before had to mobilize nationally in crisis.

do not have an efficient uniform civil service.not a developed cointry.

we all like it that way actually..... do we not ?...other considerable benefits....

just stop expecting Western “wartime” level competency here.....

however on covid vax we are really finally seeming to be moving now.

phuket.win 1st AZ jabs starting in three days. now 2nd jab in 8 wks.

hold off on the bitching & moaning at least until 2nd day of non- WP jabs ! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok, the epicentre of the latest outbreak, with around an average of 1,000 new infections per day, has only 20 beds left for coronavirus patients in critical condition at government hospitals in the city, said health official Somsak Akksilp

Only 20 left in the entire city?  Very very sad. As they are relaxing restrictions and movement of people is free and easy.  

8 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

much nonsense here. ignore previous failures. quit the constant negativity.

thailand is not UK. never before had to mobilize nationally in crisis.

do not have an efficient uniform civil service.not a developed cointry.

we all like it that way actually..... do we not ?...other considerable benefits....

just stop expecting Western “wartime” level competency here.....

however on covid vax we are really finally seeming to be moving now.

phuket.win 1st AZ jabs starting in three days. now 2nd jab in 8 wks.

hold off on the bitching & moaning at least until 2nd day of non- WP jabs ! 

Stop being an apologist for the regime. The entire thing has been mismanaged from day 1.

For a developing country Thailand has some excellent epidemiologists and public health. It's done wonders with HIV, TB. Thailand has a number of reasonably decent scientific institutions. Thailand was involved in coronavirus research prior to this pandemic. So, stop it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Serious question... In what other country are they waiting 12++ weeks in order to provide the second vaccine? I'm guessing absolutely zero but I will leave the question open.

The whole disaster is pitched as some sort of plan when in reality it's just lack of vaccine. How abysmally cynical.

Absolutely absurd

Well your guess would  be wrong. 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A Thai medical committee has agreed to narrow the gap between doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to eight weeks from 10-12 weeks previously in places where there has been outbreaks of the Delta variant, an official said on Tuesday.

More first shots, or more second shots but less first ones.... decisions decisions.

Only a limited supply, not enough to cover everything.

Bangkok in the grip of infections, clusters springing up everywhere, sex-resorts screaming out to open up again.

What a fiasco.

• Like 1

Got my first dose of AZ in Bangkok yesterday 22nd June, tried to read up a bit, my impression from various pieces is that up to a point waiting for the second dose is good if possible. Some consensus that 16 weeks is too long, that 12 is ok, that 8 is pushing it, and while I can't link take this with a grain of salt, but 11 weeks may be the sweet spot.  What was interesting was that 3 weeks after the first dose protection is in the low 70s percent, after the second if done right it rises to the low 90s. Again, no link, do your own reading.

The intervac system sent me out with an appointment 12 weeks ahead, Sept. 14. I still have an appointment with Bumrungrad for July 13, which I'll have to cancel, but first I'll need to see if I want to ask Bumrungrad if they can put it out to the very beginning of Sept., and do more research, including asking my Kaiser doctor in Oakland. What would be great would be if Bumrungrad could come up with Pfizer in Sept. And I may still decide to leave Thailand.

As regards Sinovac, I did read that the second dose is more essential than with others. I've talked with a few massage women who claim they have had one dose of Sinovac, which perhaps should not inspire confidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pizzachang said:

The "Delta" variant, while more contagious, is not dangerous to the majority. The UK health services have repeatedly pointed this out. Anyone elderly, with pre-existing disease (lung disease mainly) is the risk group. 

Have no idea where you get your information from?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/953269&ved=2ahUKEwiamo-i1KzxAhVGxTgGHT2xCeQQFjAYegQIPxAC&usg=AOvVaw1f0C9Y4yGQyUg9OQsrVAbf

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Just a chance of a first dose would be a good start please, pretty please, AZ is fine for now, I can pay for the better stuff later.

AZ good for now, wait for the better stuff?

What might the better stuff be?

The more expensive shots, maybe?

You think dearer is better?

Or maybe the Chinese vaccins?

Or Sputnik?

The Jansen jab, AZ are direct competitors for Moderna and Pfizer, strange we only hear about complications from Jansen and AZ, never about the very expensive US vaccins, and no they are not better, only much more expensive.

I opt for the following:

1.  Jansen (1 jab only necessary)

2. Astra Zenica 

3 Pfizer or Moderna

To fortify your body against the complications of the Wuhan virus:

Vitamin D

Pneumovax-23 vaccination

Prevnar-13 vaccination.

Edited by hansnl

2 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Pointing to the other countries would have been helpful. This comment not so much.

I agree with you my apologies, Ireland has a 12 week gap ,some people have  waited even longer. 

So, yet another cock up.

All those who were vaccinated and used the Mor Prom app were automatically given a new appointment in 16 weeks time.

When they reduced the time span to 12 weeks the date was also automatically updated.

Now with the latest update to 8 weeks, it seems that the appointments for the 2nd jab have been cancelled and it is up to you to make a new appointment.

My Mor Prom app doesn't work anymore on my Android, so I can't check.

• Like 1