I always either loose or forget my bankbook home. Theres always some issue that require this damn bankbook. Is there any bank in Thailand that doesnt require a bankbook if you want a new card, change accounts etc. This is simply ridicolous

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I am not aware of one but wait to learn more.

Funny because today was "update day".

Took a total of six books from three banks for update (wife and me).

And what happens: one book runs full.

Of course no passport with me ????

So another trip to Bangkok Bank.

A dozen signatures on half a dozen papers/copies (estimate) and after only 20 min or so have a new book ???? Copies/copies like its my first visit to the bank.

50% of Thailand's population are fairly simple rural folk for whom on-line banking and mobile apps are a mystery. They do it, what is to many of us, the old fashioned way with a passbook and their ID card.

Yes, I know Thailand wants to get itself into the digital age, but it's going to take a generation or two before the passbook becomes a relic of the past.

So you'll just have to learn to live with it I'm afraid.

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

simple rural folk for whom on-line banking and mobile apps are a mystery. They do it, what is to many of us, the old fashioned way with a passbook and their ID card.

You are right about online banking and mobile apps.

But banks give out some form of ATM cards to almost all account holders.

The times when crowds were queuing with book and ID card just to withdraw money are over.

And the elderly and handicapped often just hand over the card and PIN to some trusted family member. No fortune to be withdrawn.

Today about 9:30 I went upstairs at Bangkok bank branch. ONE customer at the teller.

Never seen it that deserted. I was out in less than 15 min with my new "childrens savings book" (they hand over a passbook with some comic figures, teddy-bears and bird on the cover ????).

Example Krungthai bank: always crowded with people having to do some "complicated" business. But the separate queue to the teller (paying traffic fines :>) is not that long.

Krungthai and BAAC can get extremely crowded as they handle state subsidies, agricultural loans and pay-outs for example.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

So another trip to Bangkok Bank.

A dozen signatures on half a dozen papers/copies (estimate)

I stand corrected.

Only one(!) copy of two passport pages (main and extension) combined.

Only five signatures (1 on copy, 2 on book, 2 on application form).

Out in less than 15 min. ????

I think I mixed it with the experience when getting a new Mastercard (debit) in exchange for the VISA card. That was a procedure!

Edited by KhunBENQ

i have active accounts with most of the thai banks and it’s my experience that for most all transactions you will have to have the actual bank book (plus governor ID) with you to do most teller/CSR-based transactions… once and a while i can get a few things done without out it… but my experience is that the vast majority of the time, the actual book must be present… i don’t know of any that has it as a formalized policy that no bank book* need be present for over-the-counter service 

(Note:  i think the only accounts where this won’t apply is to some of the newer “online only” savings accounts that, when opened, don’t get a physical bank book at issuance) 

19 hours ago, sead said:

Theres always some issue that require this damn bankbook.

Have you tried online banking with KBank? Much easier. I haven't had to use my bank book or remember how I wrote my invisible signature in said book many years ago for ages.

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And what happens: one book runs full.

When my bankbook filled up and they updated it for me they just stapled another sheet of paper with the updates in it,  SCB.

I bank with Kasikorn. 

I haven't used a bank book or a bank card in at least a year.   I just use my phone to withdraw cash when I need it.  

Haven't been in a bank in well over a year.

Be forewarned, if you are on retirement or marriage extension, that some Imm offices (mine for example) insist upon a bankbook. Bank statement and bank letter not enough, must have a physical bankbook and it must show regular updates.

After a lengthy fight with Immigration just this  morning I had to close my fixed account (forfeiting interest)  and create a separate savings account because they were unhappy that the fixed account did not allow updating of the bank book (except once a year). Absolutely insisted that a bankbook, and only a bankbook, is required to prove that one has kept the required balance.  In vain did I point out the one year statement, dated as of today, attesting to an unchanged balance for the past 3 years.

Nothing doing. "must have bank book and update every 3 months".

The problem wasn't that they didn't know I had the required money, untouched.  They know my finances as well as I do, maybe better, and they understand it is a fixed account. But they have been told that there must be an updated bank book, and they take this very literally.   So just keep that in mind before deciding to go paperless.....

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I only use my bank book once a year for my extension, and it stays together with my passport, in a passport holder wallet, I have attached a long white ribbon to the wallet, I let that stick out of the draw its locked in.

Now where did I put the damm*d key ?????

On 6/23/2021 at 5:51 PM, Sheryl said:

Songkhla Immigration are more understanding, they've not had a problem with my money being in a fixed deposit account.

On 6/23/2021 at 5:51 PM, Sheryl said:

Be forewarned, if you are on retirement or marriage extension, that some Imm offices (mine for example) insist upon a bankbook. Bank statement and bank letter not enough, must have a physical bankbook and it must show regular updates.

After a lengthy fight with Immigration just this  morning I had to close my fixed account (forfeiting interest)  and create a separate savings account because they were unhappy that the fixed account did not allow updating of the bank book (except once a year). Absolutely insisted that a bankbook, and only a bankbook, is required to prove that one has kept the required balance.  In vain did I point out the one year statement, dated as of today, attesting to an unchanged balance for the past 3 years.

The problem wasn't that they didn't know I had the required money, untouched.  They know my finances as well as I do, maybe better, and they understand it is a fixed account. But they have been told that there must be an updated bank book, and they take this very literally.   So just keep that in mind before deciding to go paperless.....

This happened to me a couple of years ago at Mae Sai Immigration. They would not accept certified bank statements, wanted to see my bank book with regular updates. The problem is if you don't traipse to the update machine every few weeks (who does that now in this mobile banking age) it's too late and the updates are aggregated into one entry. This caused me and my wife enormous problems and wasted time. In the end, after looking at the IO in the eye and saying "Look, there is no way for us to obtain what you ask for. No way. All we can supply are these official, certified monthly bank statements" they accepted them and the extension was granted. What I describe never happened before, and didn't happen in the subsequent year (this one) . . . but it's just another grade A example of how retarded the entire immigration system is.