Expired AIS SIM Card

KP67

After keeping a number active for 5 or 6 years I have made a mistake and let it expire.  I can blame it on COVID and lack of activity, but the truth is it slipped my mind and I forgot to top it up.  Anyone know a trick to reactivate an expired AIS SIM to keep the number ?  Unfortunately it is my bank OTP number.  I also have an expired ATM card and new passport - if I can't restore the number I will get a new SIM on my next visit (if that ever happens) and have to go to the bank branch any way.

26 minutes ago, KP67 said:

I have made a mistake and let it expire

Expire like you can't call anymore or how do you know it's expired.

I had a prepaid AIS number which I didn't use for a long time. Then some time later I used my online banking to add money to that AIS number and I could use it again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KP67 said:

The phone now says "no service", and a top up to the number won't process.  Looks like a good excuse for a visit when this sandbox business gets ironed out.

If not too long expired, try topping up anyway. If you send the number via PM I will do it for you. If it says not possible, then it's dead. If it accepts it, you can take a deep breath. So send asap.

Edit: Just noted that you already tried it, so it's gone. I can still try for you if you like or you can try calling AIS to see if anything can be done.

School boy error for such an important number.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 2

So important that I have not needed an OTP for a transaction in 18 months, so not so much.

A trip to the bank is needed anyway when things return to "normal".

Try giving AIS a call... they may be able to reactivate the number, its worth a try at least. 

If that fails, ask someone to pick up new SIM, charge it and send it to you.

You can then contact your bank and to change the number - which may require sending copies of your passport. I’m not sure if this is possible (it is with international banks). 

32 minutes ago, KP67 said:

So important that I have not needed an OTP for a transaction in 18 months, so not so much.

A trip to the bank is needed anyway when things return to "normal".

If eighteen months, then the number is lost. Even if you had a full year of validity, it would have been recycled perhaps four months ago.

In theory, and by regulatory rules, they are not supposed to cancel users (and resell the number) for expiry without giving them a good long time to add value, but this requirement is obviously unreasonable.

I would contact AIS and see if the number is revivable.

11 hours ago, KP67 said:

The phone now says "no service",

Previously the SIM worked? Because you had internaitonal roaming enabled. How long ago? Same phone? You get service from another local provider in that location?

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can then contact your bank and to change the number - which may require sending copies of your passport. I’m not sure if this is possible (it is with international banks). 

Good luck with that. Bangkok Bank requires an in-person visit, with passport, has a long form which requires four signatures, many copies and many, many stamps, to change the contact number. That's a benefit, IMO, but still a pain.

19 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

you have answered your question at the end of your post !

Cancelled SIM cannot be reactivated ( anti- terror measure).

Return it & get new one at Airport then advise bank of new passport & SIM

( take your bank book too)

What a ....

Mine wxpired as well, i was able to get same number

Edit.

Maybe because i am  ais reseller?

Edited by kralledr

I had the same problem with the AIS SIM last week.

See their web site. 

I contacted AIS and got this: (----- is my edit).  Should have been reactivated yesterday. Topped up with BKK bank but still "no service".  Staying tuned.

Mobile service #08--------(SIM#16----------) has been terminated since 15/06/2021 due to not top-up for extend the expiration date of SIM Card but we are pleased to inform that still able to reactivate this number . Please send the required documents as follows .

1. Place your Passport  along with your SIM card (13 digits sides or any side that can see your SIM # clearly) on A4 paper.

2. Write down your proposal that " I would like to renew my AIS mobile number #
    Mobile service #08---------(SIM#16------)  and use my Passport number XXXXXXXX for registration due to ***Your reason *** "

with your handwritting then Certified with your signature and attach the document to us .
    3. Selfie with your passport and send the picture to us

After receiving your document, we will cooperate with the related team further.

7 minutes ago, amexpat said:

I had the same problem with the AIS SIM last week.

See their web site. 

I contacted AIS and got this: (----- is my edit).  Should have been reactivated yesterday. Topped up with BKK bank but still "no service".  Staying tuned.

Mobile service #08--------(SIM#16----------) has been terminated since 15/06/2021 due to not top-up for extend the expiration date of SIM Card but we are pleased to inform that still able to reactivate this number . Please send the required documents as follows .

1. Place your Passport  along with your SIM card (13 digits sides or any side that can see your SIM # clearly) on A4 paper.

2. Write down your proposal that " I would like to renew my AIS mobile number #
    Mobile service #08---------(SIM#16------)  and use my Passport number XXXXXXXX for registration due to ***Your reason *** "

with your handwritting then Certified with your signature and attach the document to us .
    3. Selfie with your passport and send the picture to us

After receiving your document, we will cooperate with the related team further.

That is only one week. The OP's period is much longer. Let's hope he can have the same success anyway.

40 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

That is only one week. The OP's period is much longer. Let's hope he can have the same success anyway.

I don't really know how long it had been. I am out of the country and only use it for confirmation code when using a credit card or transferring funds. 

I guess I'll see in the next few days if they actually did it. 

3 hours ago, amexpat said:

I don't really know how long it had been. I am out of the country and only use it for confirmation code when using a credit card or transferring funds. 

I guess I'll see in the next few days if they actually did it. 

They will do it and hopefully they can activate International Roaming on it too. Let them know that you are out of the country or they won't activate it and it won't work for you, even if the SIM is active.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2021 at 8:37 AM, kralledr said:

@op send me your number, we are authorized AIs resellers, I will see what I can do.

Hi, the same thing happend to me last month. Could you please help me too? My number was 0847825605. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 4:12 PM, Eindhoven said:

The grace period before it begins to get a bit more difficult is often 3 months past the validity date. After that talking to the AIS service centre or taking up the offer of someone like @kralledr may get you back connected.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The grace period before it begins to get a bit more difficult is often 3 months past the validity date. After that talking to the AIS service centre or taking up the offer of someone like @kralledr may get you back connected.

I had two numbers that expired, both had a substantial amount of credit on them. One number was retrievable and the other was not. Since I did not have the numbers attached to any service, I chose to abandon both. AIS service centre gave me a full refund of the credit on both.

• Like 1