Bank Transfers [Bangkok Bank]

Good morning all.

Quick question - I have to go to the bank today to get my passbook updated.  I have a monthly income to Bangkok Bank [via Transferwise] and it is marked FTT so that's OK.

I have read in previous posts that you can ask the bank for a type of receipt monthly for a foreign transfer into the account but cannot for the life of me remember what it is called.  I put it down to having a 'senior moment', but could someone please remind me what it is I should ask for.

Many thanks.

It is called a credit advise that has the details of the transfer on it.

You don't need it if you transfers are shown as FTT in your bank book and a bank statement that says it is a foreign transfer.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is called a credit advise that has the details of the transfer on it.

You don't need it if you transfers are shown as FTT in your bank book and a bank statement that says it is a foreign transfer.

Joe, some transfers that i have don't recently, from my NZ bank, BKK bank, show BNT in my bank book, not FTT. 

Is that good enough for immigration? 

Credit Advice Receipt

Available from the Foreign Remittance Desk at BBL (most decent sized branches)

After twelve months and prior to an extension one can get a summary letter for these twelve CARs, which is addressed to Immigration.

Capture2CAUSBANK.JPG.6af6ea439965af2eb4a18b7f91220051.jpg

BBL_FTT.jpg.0fca0a99c81b60e1107ae93c7ee123cd.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, murraynz said:

Joe, some transfers that i have don't recently, from my NZ bank, BKK bank, show BNT in my bank book, not FTT. 

Apparently those transfers went through a intermediary bank. You will need to get credit advices for them.

3 hours ago, murraynz said:

BNT is the coding for transfers using the Bahtnet scheme, transferred through the Bank of Thailand.  It is extremely unusual for a bank to bank transfer to be transferred in this manner as they are usually paid direct.

Pension providers tend to use the Bahtnet scheme.

Bank statements from Bangkok Banks HQ should log these as International transfers.

You need to request these from your branch.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It is extremely unusual for a bank to bank transfer to be transferred in this manner as they are usually paid direct.

Pension providers tend to use the Bahtnet scheme.

They will go through the BOT if the transfer is done in Thai baht and then it is completed as a domestic transfer.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

They will go through the BOT if the transfer is done in Thai baht and then it is completed as a domestic transfer.

He didn't state if he sent it in baht or dollars.

UK state pensions elected to be paid direct into your Thai bank go through BOT who make the exchange from £ to BHT at very good exchange rates.

Mistake to have your currency exchange to baht by your foreign bank before sending to Thailand due to the poor exchange rate you'll get. Always better to send foreign currency and get the Thai exchange rates, which are better.

Can't understand why @murraynz doesn't use 'Wise' for transfers.

3 hours ago, murraynz said:

Imm will not accept BNT alone, must be supported with credit advice receipt from Thai bank. You might consider using Transferwise which has recently been renamed WISE, good exchange rates small fees and option to select Funds for long term stay in Thailand as reason for transfer,this option will result in FTT in bank book

• Like 1

As is the case in dealing with this it is the local IO you have to make happy. in my case for a marriage extension the BTN code on my US SS direct deposit was fine but the Wise transfer coded FTT was not. Apply early to have time to do what they want.

11 minutes ago, walt1 said:

As is the case in dealing with this it is the local IO you have to make happy. in my case for a marriage extension the BTN code on my US SS direct deposit was fine but the Wise transfer coded FTT was not. Apply early to have time to do what they want.

Immigration has accepted my transfers coded as FTT for two extension applications. My transfers are done via the Bangkok Bank branch in New York into my direct deposit account.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

immigration has accepted my transfers coded as FTT for two extension applications. My transfers are done via the Bangkok Bank branch in New York into my direct deposit account.

That was my point. The individual officer was probably not correct but I'm not going to argue it with them if I have an easier option to comply to what they want. 

3 hours ago, walt1 said:

That was my point. The individual officer was probably not correct but I'm not going to argue it with them if I have an easier option to comply to what they want. 

Get the bank to write a note to Immigration explaining FTT is a Foreign Telex Transfer, in other words 'International'.

They knew it was a foreign transfer, just not the right type in their eyes. I had the cash in the bank but 1 week short of 60 days, so just waited and went that route. What I'm trying to get across is to go early rather than later. Unfortunately no matter what the rules are it is subject to what the individual office wants.

On 6/26/2021 at 10:04 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration has accepted my transfers coded as FTT for two extension applications. My transfers are done via the Bangkok Bank branch in New York into my direct deposit account.

Your post is clear but just wanted to make sure -- I have my Citibank account in NYC set up for transfers to  my account at Bangkok Bank (in Bangkok). Such a transfer will definitely result in an FTT code in my bank book that by itself (nothing else needed) will satisfy as proof of foreign transfer of 800,000 when I apply for Non-O for retirement at CW after entering visa exempt? Thanks.

3 hours ago, david_je said:

Your post is clear but just wanted to make sure -- I have my Citibank account in NYC set up for transfers to  my account at Bangkok Bank (in Bangkok). Such a transfer will definitely result in an FTT code in my bank book that by itself (nothing else needed) will satisfy as proof of foreign transfer of 800,000 when I apply for Non-O for retirement at CW after entering visa exempt? Thanks.

When applying for a conversion visa, the immigration office is quite likely to want to see the credit advice. This is inconsistent as they will almost always be satisfied with just the FTT transaction code in the bank book for extensions based on income.