DIY Floor (Wood)

bubblegum

Could not find a do it yourself section so posting it here.

I have a 2 floor house and on the side of my staircase i would like to make some additional space by means of a floor, roughly 1 by 1.5 meters. Now back home I would go to the DIY shop, pick some wood, have ir cut to my preference and build a floor from it. But no wood in Thailand so what to do? Any imput?

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Wood, unless very expensive hardwood, is a nice snack for the local wildlife.

Steel is the stuff, cheap and readily available. 

Add to that one of the cement board decking products and you have a termite-blunting structure that will last forever with minimal maintenance.

Thats an excellent suggestion ! Great solution, but again depends on budget and what OP has in mind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thats an excellent suggestion ! Great solution, but again depends on budget and what OP has in mind.

Indeed, we have minimal detail.

But even if he wants to expand an indoor area a steel structure bolted to the existing concrete house with a nice hardwood top wouldn't break the bank and would last forever.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

But even if he wants to expand an indoor area a steel structure bolted to the existing concrete house with a nice hardwood top wouldn't break the bank and would last forever.

I think you underestimate the ability of the wildlife. Also, though I haven’t checked, I don’t think that Thailand is immune to the skyrocketing prices of wood in the west. 

• Like 1