SCB Banking problem.

Jackin1960

Having moved the family back to the UK for good and settled here a few years ago we now want to move funds from our bank SCB to the UK. The problem now is that we don't know how to do this from the UK, as we cant travel to Thailand due to CV19. Not getting much help from SCB although I think they have a branch in London it not a regular branch. Anyone have a sensible idea. I do have a SCB bank card but using it would cost far too much.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

What sort of numbers are we looking at?

Can you set up with DeeMoney to send out of Thailand by remote control?

I am not sure how that would work, I will look into it. The problem is I only have my bank card and I don't have internet banking set up with SCB.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Withdraw your SCB funds in UK using SCB card in UK ATM.

quick - easy- simple. job done. all transfer methods cost money...

Don't think it would be the best way to move a couple of million this way.

1 minute ago, Jackin1960 said:

Like to move a million at a time.

No internet banking and 20 Grand UK at a time might be an issue.

Is your ATM/debit card Visa or Mastercard branded? Have a word with your UK bank, they may be able to assist.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Try and set up internet banking with the bank, call them a few times until you get someone coherent

Last time I set up internet banking was in branch it took hours and when I got to the UK I had to have a Thai phone number so they could send me a pass code, needless to say the bank would not send code as I was outside Thailand !! Not too smart ! 

why not..... ? my SCB daily ATM limit is 200,000 baht, so in ten days you have your two million baht in your hands as GBP Cash....... never heard of any other method to get your thai bank deposits from outside thailand.....doubt it can be done without major bs and delay, if even then..... just go the simple guaranteed way ....while still available...... “savingtransfer fees”...? ..is there in fact any real saving ?

cant see internet banking helping.... not the issue.... to get money out of thailand you have, or had, to produce certificates proving it came into thailand......could take months of scb checking and they will be in no hurry to allow money out of thailand ...money made and banked in thailand I think cannot be transferred outside thailand......except by ATM withdrawals.......

2 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

...money made and banked in thailand I think cannot be transferred outside thailand......

I transfer a couple of grand US every month from my Thai salary via my BKK Bank account, no issues whatever (once the hassle of setting up is sorted). But of course a WP etc. etc. is needed to set up.

20 minutes ago, Jackin1960 said:

Last time I set up internet banking was in branch it took hours and when I got to the UK I had to have a Thai phone number so they could send me a pass code, needless to say the bank would not send code as I was outside Thailand !! Not too smart ! 

If you have roaming switched on for the thai sim you can receive thai texts, i doubt the bank block it

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

cant see internet banking helping.... not the issue.... to get money out of thailand you have, or had, to produce certificates proving it came into thailand......could take months of scb checking and they will be in no hurry to allow money out of thailand ...money made and banked in thailand I think cannot be transferred outside thailand......except by ATM withdrawals.......

I agree, I had sent some money to Thailand officially with a declaration of capital entry and when I wanted to get the capital I had here in the Bangkok Bank out, they did everything possible to hinder me and not let me export mine. money, I have since ruled out any relationship with this bank and stopped the inbound shipments of other money to Thailand.

2 hours ago, Jackin1960 said:

Like to move a million at a time.

I'd daresay that you won't be able to do this without visiting an SCB branch in Thailand. Even then it might be a challenge, assuming that you are a foreigner and don't have a work permit. Do you still have documentation of your inbound transfers?

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I'd daresay that you won't be able to do this without visiting an SCB branch in Thailand. Even then it might be a challenge, assuming that you are a foreigner and don't have a work permit. Do you still have documentation of your inbound transfers?

I had the cash sent in from my Spanish bank so could show it. But I won't panic and simply visit again soon as we can and then deal with it. Just won't keep too much in Thailand in the future.

any possibilty of transferring baht to a uk person here you trust who wants baht, and has funds in uk to transfer to you in sterling? May not be such a longshot depending on your circle of friends here. agree rates and cut out bank fees.

15 hours ago, beau thai said:

any possibilty of transferring baht to a uk person here you trust who wants baht, and has funds in uk to transfer to you in sterling? May not be such a longshot depending on your circle of friends here. agree rates and cut out bank fees.

I am sure you have some very good friends, but sadly after 70 years on this planet I have found that it is unwise not to put too much trust in family or friends if you want them to remain good friends.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 2:01 PM, Jackin1960 said:

I am sure you have some very good friends, but sadly after 70 years on this planet I have found that it is unwise not to put too much trust in family or friends if you want them to remain good friends.

I know exactly what you mean and I share your reservations but I feel sad that you seem not to know a single friend or relative who you can trust after 70 years. Sign of the times maybe

5 hours ago, beau thai said:

I know exactly what you mean and I share your reservations but I feel sad that you seem not to know a single friend or relative who you can trust after 70 years. Sign of the times maybe

What's sad is that money changes people. I have friends that I trust with my child's life but I wouldn't loan them money or even consider asking them to do a monetary exchange with me. Like I said, money changes people. That must be where the saying, 'Money is the root of all evil.' comes from.