Man, 79, dies after motorbike hit head-on by 18-wheeled truck

snoop1130

1624436211_1-org.jpg

Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 79-year-old man died after the motorbike he was riding was struck head-on by an 18-wheeled truck and trailer on Thepkrasattri Rd in Srisoonthorn yesterday (June 22).

Lt Chanita Boonyanuwat of the Thalang Police was called to the scene, the northbound lanes of Thepkrasattri Rd about 30 metres south of the PTT petrol station in Baan Lipon, Moo 1, Srisoonthorn, at 12:40pm.

Police arrived with Kusoldharm rescue workers to find the body of Prasong Saejiw, 79, a resident of Cherng Talay, on the road beside his black-white Honda Wave motorbike.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/man-79-dies-after-motorbike-hit-head-on-by-18-wheeled-truck -80439.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-06-23

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Back home, I've NEVER seen a 79-year old person on a motorbike.  I'm not yet 60 and there is NO way I'd risk my life on a motorbike.  It's an unfortunate reality here.  cars are expensive, roads are dangerous.........

i've said it a million times.  falangs, get rid of your motorbike NOW!!!  OK, it's the other person's fault!!! you are dead.    

ok, saved your life.  send me money.  

You can`t speak for everyone.... i have ridden car and both small and big motorbike in Thailand for 20 years, and never an accident. Ride your bike, use your head and take care. Still probably i will stop way before i get to 79 years old....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rwill said:

1)  The back of the motorcycle is where all the damage is.  Are they sure it was a head on collision?

2)  If it was a head on collision the motorcyclist was travelling in the wrong direction.

3)  Based on the above it appears more likely the motorcyclist was trying to cross across the road to get to the other side.  

Read the link.

"1)  The back of the motorcycle is where all the damage is.  Are they sure it was a head on collision?"   

No it wasn't at all the rear.    Yes, they are.

"2)  If it was a head on collision the motorcyclist was travelling in the wrong direction".

He was...when he hit the truck

"3)  Based on the above it appears more likely the motorcyclist was trying to cross across the road to get to the other side".

He wasn't.  "The above" is wrong.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Another take?  Take a good look at the road  just before the flipped motorbike, what look like a straight line of tire marks what look like the same size as the motorbike ( single tire ) too narrow to be the truck?

If the bike was hit head on the damage doesn't prove that in the photo the front motorbike rim doesn't seem to be bent from impact. Based on the width of the road, bike condition and position it is possible the trucker got impatient thinking I'm going to get by this motorbike who has no business being on the road sadly impact the bike from behind.

If they examine the back of the bike and the front of the truck it should give one an idea. This road should have CCTV before and after which should help but this isn't going to happen with the these BIB.????

You won't see the report being made either since they all come from the same school of driving.

Another take... read the link!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Back home, I've NEVER seen a 79-year old person on a motorbike.  I'm not yet 60 and there is NO way I'd risk my life on a motorbike.  It's an unfortunate reality here.  cars are expensive, roads are dangerous.........

i've said it a million times.  falangs, get rid of your motorbike NOW!!!  OK, it's the other person's fault!!! you are dead.    

ok, saved your life.  send me money.  

I bought my first motorbike, back home when I was about 65 (did ride one when in college). Sold it when I moved to a colder climate but don't drive one here in Thailand.. 

2 hours ago, connda said:

Although not mentioned, it's easy to see.
Motorcycle traveling the wrong way down the road.  No enforcement by the government so the slaughter continues unabated.

Read the article and posts above and you will learn that he was NOT deliberately driving the wrong direction.

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Another take... read the link!

Thanks, I had skipped the link thinking there wasn't going to be much more.

After reading it I'm even more confused as to what might have happened I guess the CCTV will have to determine the direction he was traveling.  I review the photos if he fact the witness was correct and he lost control of the bike and enter the center medium or reservation the damage would be more in the front particularly the front RIM that should be crushed in which it isn't yet the back of the bike seem destroyed.

I assume the flat bed truck in the photo was the other party!  I was wrong!  but the actual truck left the scene and turn up later?  I really guess that CCTV footage will be the key?

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Read the article and posts above and you will learn that he was NOT deliberately driving the wrong direction.

Agreed after reading article it does sound like a possible medical incident (given the poor guys age) 'heading Southbound, Lost control - swerved over the lanes, crossed the resevation into the northbound lanes and then was impacted by the traffic on near side rear of bike by looks of pics.

Not head on as Stated in headline

Edit: Truck was probably travelling at Warp Factor 4 hence could not stop in area, we dont know that but they dont hang about on this road... Prob not a lot the truck driver could do

RIP

Edited by Lokie

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Another take?  Take a good look at the road  just before the flipped motorbike, what look like a straight line of tire marks what look like the same size as the motorbike ( single tire ) too narrow to be the truck?

If the bike was hit head on the damage doesn't prove that in the photo the front motorbike rim doesn't seem to be bent from impact. Based on the width of the road, bike condition and position it is possible the trucker got impatient thinking I'm going to get by this motorbike who has no business being on the road sadly impact the bike from behind.

If they examine the back of the bike and the front of the truck it should give one an idea. This road should have CCTV before and after which should help but this isn't going to happen with the these BIB.????

You won't see the report being made either since they all come from the same school of driving.

It's difficult to tell but I notice the tyre marks are darker near the bike but there could be various reasons for that.

11 hours ago, Henryford said:

You have to have your wits about you riding on Thailand's roads. Riding at 79, just asking for trouble.

im almost 70, and still enjoy riding here in Thailand. I live in the sticks, so most of my riding is on the smaller roads and on the dirt roads. I often ride and not see or pass a car for anything up to 40 minutes, just the odd motorbikes.

Yes, it could be dangerous, and have had many cars and trucks forcing me to move out of the way or get hit, but like anything, take care, look ahead and enjoy the ride and scenery 

Its no worse than driving the car, just more enjoyable 

• Like 2