First million Sinopharm doses delivered to Thailand pass QC, jabs start Friday

snoop1130

sinopharm.jpeg

The first million doses of China’s state-owned Sinopharm vaccine, delivered to Thailand on Sunday, have passed quality control inspection by Thailand’s Medical Sciences Department and are ready to be administered starting Friday (June 25th).

The qualities of the vaccine match to the data registered for emergency use with Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (TFDA), while the temperature at which the vaccine must be stored is appropriate, said Department Director-General Dr. Supakit Sirilak today (Wednesday).

The Sinopharm vaccine, named Covilo, which was approved by the TFDA on May 28th, is being procured by the Chulabhorn Royal Academy (CRA), as an “alternative vaccine” to the Thai government’s procurements. There are only two vaccine brands currently in use in the country, namely Sinovac, also from China, and AstraZeneca.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/first-million-sinopharm-doses-delivered-to-thailand-pass-qc-jabs-start-friday/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-06-23

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The qualities of the vaccine match to the data registered for emergency use with Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (TFDA),

Match emergency use.. [nothing else available] lets rubber stamp it.

3 minutes ago, sathornlover said:

The company where my wife is employed has ordered Sinopharm and we both hope that they can get the stuff as soon as possible. We are both really more than sceptical about the Chinese vaccines but even if it was the worst product on the market Sinovac, we would take it and hope to bridge the gap until more reliable vaccine reaches Thailand …

No issue with your approach to this situation. 

Fact is vaccine rollout obviously depends on supply but also on public acceptance of the product. 

I can only base my opinion on small sample space of my Thai partner and her wide social media group. 

Many Thai won't have a bar of Chinese vaccines.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife, like lots of Thais, is saying she wont take any Chinese made vaccine and she'll wait

Same here. 

Only difference I would suggest to your statement is that the 'lots' should read 'LOTS'

• Like 1

I don't understand the arrogance and disdain when it comes to Chinese vaccines.

Seems to just be the culture of this place.

On one hand certain forumers will shriek that any reopening is too soon and that vaccines are needed, and then on the other hand those same accounts will react negatively to any vaccines received or used that are not their exact brand preference.

Will they take agency and fly to <nationality country> to get the jab they're desperate for? Nah. Hiding and complaining are easier.

Better to tune out the noise.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Seems to just be the culture of this place.

On one hand certain forumers will shriek that any reopening is too soon and that vaccines are needed, and then on the other hand those same accounts will react negatively to any vaccines received or used that are not their exact brand preference.

What I would rather complain about is that even in comparison to the SEA region, too few vaccine has been/is being brought in here and of the few, the worst of all, the worse the more of it in relation to the far too few.

The prospects do not seem good either, especially because of the lower efficiency of the obviously inferior products in this respect, a third booster vaccination will soon be necessary and we know that the procurement of sufficient material does not seem to be the core competence of those responsible ????

Will they take agency and fly to <nationality country> to get the jab they're desperate for? Nah. Hiding and complaining are easier.

Long-haul flights for people 60+ or with risk diseases who have not been vaccinated in the current situation are indeed not that easy …

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No issue with your approach to this situation. 

Fact is vaccine rollout obviously depends on supply but also on public acceptance of the product. 

This also applies vice versa - I have no problem with your approach. Everyone has to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of their individual situation, but from my point of view, the advantages of vaccination outweigh the disadvantages once a certain risk profile is reached, regardless of which vaccine is used.

I can only base my opinion on small sample space of my Thai partner and her wide social media group. 

Many Thai won't have a bar of Chinese vaccines.

In my wife's company, ~500 people, that is over 90 per cent, have decided in favour of a vaccination with Sinopharm and most of them would now also accept Sinovac out of necessity due to the current unpleasant situation, although last month almost all of them claimed that they would rather wait for Moderna & Co ...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sathornlover said:

they would rather wait for Moderna & Co .

Perhaps they read today's news where private hospitals have just announced that Moderna supply will now be half of what was expected. 

I don't trust company employees take up of a vaccine. 90% yep sure.

Try the person in the street survey.

Edited by DrJack54

This was a great initiative by CRA but such a pity they ordered Sinopharm which seems to be as useless as Sinovac.  The Seychelles and Bahrein have had bad experiences with this vaccine failing to curb their outbreaks even before the Indian variant emerged.  Bahrein ditched it in favour of Pfizer. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps they read today's news where private hospitals have just announced that Moderna supply will now be half of what was expected. 

I don't trust company employees take up of a vaccine. 90% yep sure.

Try the person in the street survey.

There was news some time ago that the private supply of Moderna will be less than half what was expected.  They tried to order 10 million doses but the government cut the order to 5 million and insisted they have to donate 2 million to the Thai Red Cross.

I registered with THG for it but they are now trying to exclude people who are getting the government shots.  So maybe better not to tell them.  There is no end to disappointments caused by the vain martinets that run the government.

Edited by Dogmatix

14 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

This was a great initiative by CRA but such a pity they ordered Sinopharm which seems to be as useless as Sinovac.  The Seychelles and Bahrein have had bad experiences with this vaccine failing to curb their outbreaks even before the Indian variant emerged.  Bahrein ditched it in favour of Pfizer. 

That is not correct, Bahrain together with UAE were the first countries in GCC that trialed the Sinopharm vaccine last year and as a result it was the first vaccine they approved for emergency use. Currently they are using 4 vaccines (Pfizer, Sinopharm, AstraZeneca and Sputnik) and they have already started issuing a booster dose for people (like me) who had been vaccinated with the Sinopharm vaccine six months ago.

The peak they had was mainly due to family gatherings during Ramadan and Eid and secondly  due to people from countries that were in the red that used Bahrain as a stop-over/transit place (staying one week or 14 days depending on the regulations in the destination country) in order to be allowed to travel to UAE/Saudi Arabia and other countries like UK and US.