I married my Thai wife in Vietnam. Here’s my story and also some questions.

According to the link below, you need to visit the Thai consulate in Vietnam to get the marriage certified then she needs to visit her local Amphur to update her details. I'm assuming she took your name so she might have to update her ID card.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/faq/married-abroad-do-i-need-a-thai-certificate

Congratulations, welcome to the club.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

You mentioned "returned on April 10. My 90 day report is coming up" so its due around first week of July....yes Suggest you check your Visa.....asap...... just in case...

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He has already registered his marriage at the official Thai consulate in Vietnam.

All that is needed is for his wife to go to a Amphoe and have her records updated to show she is married.

Also note that the website you posted a link to is not a official website. From the bottom of hat page.

image.png.f732ae5c3678a6c3faea7f76c085350a.png

Ah, didn't realise he married at the consulate, serves me right for skim-reading ????

Yes, I know it's not the offical website but it listed out the process which I believe to be correct.

17 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

No one really knows when borders will open, so in the worst case scenario, how can I stay?  Please. Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

As others have mentioned, check the date on your entry stamp in your passport. Normally a one year non-immigrant O-visa (often shortened "non-O") is valid for ene year, but entries only with permission to stay for 90 days, then you need to leave the country and re-enter to obtain another 90 days of stay (I've had that kind of visa, when I was commuting a lot between my home country and Thailand, once I even needed to do a so-called visa-run, i.e. crossing a border and return a few hours later).

You can easily get a 60-days extension of your permitted stay as married to a Thai, but after that you need to exit and re-enter for another period of stay.

If your last re-entry is before the visa expires, you'll get a permission to stay for another 90-days, i.e. your possible stay on an one-year non-O can be almost one year and three month. It's not you first entry date, i.e. April 10th, which is relevant here, but the expiry date of your non-O visa. By entering for another 90-days before it expires you buy extra time to save the required 400k baht up for your deposit for "extension of stay based om marriage to a Thai".

You might even be able to extend your last 90-days period with additional 60 days based on marriage, giving you further time to save up the necessary funds, but please check that such an extension is possible on the last entry, before counting on it.

You should probably not be due for a 90-days report, as you are probably not eligible to stay more than 90 days in the Kingdom; however extending you permission to stay with 60 days based on marriage, you will inform your address to the immigration office, and to my knowledge that replace what would have been a 90-day address report, if you had been permitted a longer stay.

Wish you and your wife a happy future together...????

On 6/23/2021 at 9:35 PM, BritTim said:

(easily extended once by 60 days, and currently extendable additionally using Covid extensions)

Thanks, Tim. Is this COVID extension expected to remain possible until land borders are open?  Any info or prediction on that?  At least for non-o based on marrige?

On 6/24/2021 at 7:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

She needs to go the Amphoe where her house book is for and complete the registration process to update her house book registry and ID card. 

That will need to done before you apply for a extension at immigration.

Thanks so much, Joe!  She is now looking at flights to go back to her hometown of Phitsanulok.   I didn’t know this had to be done. According to the consulate wherebwe registered our marriage, I just had to go “check in” at immigration every 90 days and they specifically said I didn’t need an extension.  I sure am glad I posted this.  I could have gotten myself into a real pickle.   I am assuming she can do this herself without me going with her, as long as she takes ancopy of my passport, visa, and permission of stay stamp, right?  Anything else I should know?   BTW- I came through the airport in anwheelchair (broken foot) aided by airport staff and they basically handled everything for me, which was nice.  EXCEPT I dont have a departure card.  Is this a problem and if so, how can I take care of that?  My landlord said I can go to the police station.  Is that correct?  TIA

10 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Thanks, Tim. Is this COVID extension expected to remain possible until land borders are open?  Any info or prediction on that?  At least for non-o based on marrige?

I predict with some confidence that Covid extensions will remain available through September. Since the current serious Covid wave is likely to worsen further, and not be over come late September, I think Covid extensions may well be available longer. However, that is less certain. I do not think you should assume easy travel to countries neighbouring Thailand is the determining factor in when Covid extensions will cease.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 2:36 PM, khunPer said:

You can easily get a 60-days extension of your permitted stay as married to a Thai, but after that you need to exit and re-enter for another period of stay.

I see.  But due to COVID travel restrictions, we can just keep extending for now, as Brit Tim said, right?  Is this a 1900THB extension each time?  And you are correct that my permission to stay is 90 days, but the consulate staff said I didn’t have to leave the country or do an extension, just “check in at immigration every 90 days. I took that as a 90 day report, but unfortunately it seems that wasn’t correct in the first place. 
And thank you for the well wishes!

9 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I am assuming she can do this herself without me going with her, as long as she takes ancopy of my passport, visa, and permission of stay stamp, right?  

That should be all that she will need.

Is this a problem and if so, how can I take care of that?  My landlord said I can go to the police station.  

You can get a new TM6 card at immigration after doing a police report of it being lost.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I predict with some confidence that Covid extensions will remain available through September. Since the current serious Covid wave is likely to worsen further, and not be over come late September, I think Covid extensions may well be available longer. However, that is less certain. I do not think you should assume easy travel to countries neighbouring Thailand is the determining factor in when Covid extensions will cease.

I hear you on that. I would hate to fly all the way back to the states just to exit and reenter.  That would screw up my finances even more and I am just beginning recovery mode!  Speaking of finances, I need the 400k in the bank two months before my visa expires, or my extension if Insqueeze a extra 60 days out of it, correct?  No need to show finances at immigration for the 60 day extension and further COVID extensions as they are just permission to stay?

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That should be all that she will need.

You can get a new TM6 card at immigration after doing a police report of it being lost.

Thanks so much, Joe.  Will my wife need the TM6 card at her amphoe when she changes her status from single to married?  Because I think she is probably going to fly out Monday. 

3 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Will my wife need the TM6 card at her amphoe when she changes her status from single to married?

No

Only a signed copy of your passport photo page should be all that is needed.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of finances, I need the 400k in the bank two months before my visa expires, or my extension if Insqueeze a extra 60 days out of it, correct?  No need to show finances at immigration for the 60 day extension and further COVID extensions as they are just permission to stay?

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply for a one year extension of stay.

No financial proof is required for a 60 day extension.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply for a one year extension of stay.

No financial proof is required for a 60 day extension.

Thanks again!  Is that one year extension a multiple entry also?  I am wondering why people don’t just cross a border and get a new one year non-o.  What is the benefit of showing 400k for a one year extension rather than getting a new one year visa?  Or is that not allowed?

1 minute ago, keysersoze276 said:

Thanks again!  Is that one year extension a multiple entry also?

You have to have a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the extension of stay valid when you enter the country. 

A single re-entry permit is 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

2 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I am wondering why people don’t just cross a border and get a new one year non-o.  What is the benefit of showing 400k for a one year extension rather than getting a new one year visa?  Or is that not allowed?

Many people were doing that but the borders being closed due to covid 19 ended that. Many people have gotten one year extensions now or have struggled to stay for the past year under the amnesty and now the 60 day covid 19 extensions.

The advantage of the one year extension is that you never have to leave the country unless you want to.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 7:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

She needs to go the Amphoe where her house book is for and complete the registration process to update her house book registry and ID card. 

That will need to done before you apply for a extension at immigration.

Disaster strikes!  Hi Joe, we have a problem here. She has a flight booked for tomorrow to go to Phitsanulok to update her house book and ID card, but suddenly the new movement restrictions and mandatory quarantine will staop her from being able to do this.  She plans to have her grandmother send her housebook by mail and change it in Nonthaburi.  Is this even possible?  I am freaking out.  What can we do?  My entry expires July 8th. Please advise.  Thanks, Joe!

6 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

She plans to have her grandmother send her housebook by mail and change it in Nonthaburi.  Is this even possible?  I am freaking out.

She may be able to do it in Nonthaburi. Normal is to do it where the house book is registered but in the covid times it may be possible.

If you need more time you can apply for the 60 day covid 19 extension without proof of marriage.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She may be able to do it in Nonthaburi. Normal is to do it where the house book is registered but in the covid times it may be possible.

If you need more time you can apply for the 60 day covid 19 extension without proof of marriage.

Thanks again!  I wouldn’t have even known I needed her to do this if you hadn’t mentioned it.  Nice to know I can apply for a COVID extension as a plan B.  Kudos!