Need NFC phone urgently

Susco

As the title says, I urgently need to purchase a phone that has the NFC option.

Since this is unneeded purchase, because my current phone serves me well but has no NFC, I want to spend as little as possible.

Though I don't want to miss out on features which may be a must in a year.

I'm currently looking at Poco M3 Pro 6/128 5G at 6999 , Poco X3 Pro 6/64 at 5999 , Redmi Note 10 8/128 5G at 6290 and Redmi Note 9 Pro 6/64 at 5180.

All of them have NFC, and 2 have 5G as well.

If I look at the spec compared to price, the Redmi Note 10 is obviously the winner, but is that so? I have no idea about phones, and my main use is to make calls, and use a few chat programs.

When I start looking at the specs and reviews, I lose the plot completely, because there is always a phone that is better.

So how important is 5G?

What should be the minimum RAM I need these days? Is 4 GB enough and is 8 GB overkill?

How important are some other functions that are available these days?

What would be your choice of the phones I selected, or what other phone would you suggest.

Please note, I need NFC, and want to spend as little as possible, but also want to get as much as possible for my money.

Edited by Susco

Why I need NFC is not the subject of this thread, as it is my personal business.

The subject is to find a NFC enabled phone that doesn't break the bank, but still offers decent quality and specs.

I'm looking at something in the 5000 Baht range

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Susco said:

So how important is 5G?

What should be the minimum RAM I need these days? Is 4 GB enough and is 8 GB overkill?

From what you describe 5G is not relevant at all. LTE (4G) good enough for many years.

4GB RAM: I have a three year old Samsung with 4GB. Use browser, chats (LINE, Signal and others), misc banking apps and some more. No high tech games, virtual reality, 3D bla bla.

I usually look to keep the stack of apps small ("close all") and so have no problems with it.

Even thinking of having a new battery installed (requires a workshop visit).

If 8GB is cheap buy 8GB but its not THE indispensable feature.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I've had Xiaomi (Redmi, Poco) phones for the last 7 years and they have proved to be very reliable and functional.  I would suggest The Redmi Note 10 or Redmi note 9 Pro.   The MIUI operating system is very straight forward and easy to use.   Because most phones sold currently have 6+ gb ram, app developers write apps utilizing more ram.  4gb ram is still useable but will become slower and balky in the near future.  Also, apps use a lot more memory these days.  64gb sounds like a lot but the phone operating system uses a sizable chunk of that so maybe only 40gb available.  6/128 would be a fairly future proof combination.  5G is being rolled out pretty slowly but it will be nice to have sometime in the future.  The cameras in the Redmi's and Poco's are excellent.  I can pretty much assure you you won't regret buying a Xiaomi phone.  The only real caveat is if you travel frequently in the USA.  Xiaomi phones only use very few of the frequency bands in the US so good service coverage is difficult.  This is not true in Europe. 

29 minutes ago, Susco said:

Why I need NFC is not the subject of this thread, as it is my personal business.

The subject is to find a NFC enabled phone that doesn't break the bank, but still offers decent quality and specs.

I'm looking at something in the 5000 Baht range

All brand phones can make/receive calls and install apps for chat.

Take a look at the nasaphonenet website in mbk.

Most of the phones available in thailand are listed there with prices.

Read the specs on gsmarena for your picks and price range.

Edited by userabcd

I should add to the thread, that I'm looking for answers about someone who has such a phone, and can confirm that NFC works on them.

Guessing I can do myself, and Lazada isn't any help either.

image.png.e436e9f6a28db61de2d9af0f1ae13b3b.png

The official Xaomi store on Lazada directs me to the Lazda chat, when I asked them about NFC.

image.png.65a78a110b070311419704f4d6c0dccb.png

Just now, userabcd said:

Take a look at the nasaphonenet website in mbk.

Most of the phones available in thailand are listed there with prices.

Read the specs on gsmarena for your picks and price range.

The phones state, NFC available in selected markets, but don't specify which markets these are, and even the sellers don't know.

I know nothing about phones, so prices and specs tell me nothing. I can spend 10K on a worthless piece of s*it, or maybe half of that on one that ticks all the boxes, and is of decent quality.

14 minutes ago, dddave said:

I would suggest The Redmi Note 10 or Redmi note 9 Pro. 

Do you own either of these phones, and/or can you confirm that they have NFC enabled?

The spec says, in selected markets, but which are the selected markets?

If your preference is redmi note 10. Gsmarena shows it for global market and has nfc.

To confirm one could go to one of the myriad of mi stores in the malls everywhere, test the device and check in the settings and enable/disable nfc.

Siamphone thailand also shows it has nfc.

5G is not very widespread atm so just future proofs the phone. 6gb  ram is about the min for a phone.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, userabcd said:

To confirm one could go to one of the myriad of mi stores in the malls everywhere, test the device and check in the settings and enable/disable nfc.

I have such a feeling that will be my best option

From what I can gather, the "selected markets" is in reference to the "readers" and whether the outlet has the appropriate equipment in which an NFC phone can communucate with."contactless payment" terminals.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

From what I can gather, the "selected markets" is in reference to the "readers" and whether the outlet has the appropriate equipment in which an NFC phone can communucate with.

Hope that helps.

The way I understand it is that in certain countries the chip that enables NFC is in the phone.

NFC is also used for reading a biometric passport for example, not just for cardless payments

Edit: When I read on GSM Arena the Redmi Note 9 is stated as NFC in selected markets.

The Redmi note 9 Pro says Yes for NFC. The Redmi Note 9 Pro for the Indian markets shows No for NFC

Edited by Susco

1 minute ago, Susco said:

The way I understand it is that in certain countries the chip that enables NFC is in the phone.

NFC is also used for reading a biometric passport for example, not just for cardless payments

Yes, its a version of RFID, but the "available markets"  i believe relates to commerce as not all commercial outlets are geared up for it. Thats my understanding.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, varun said:

Go with one of the Chinese brands like Poco or Xiaomi - walk into one of the stores and see if they have an NFC option.

Much recommended.

Lazada has an "NFC" feature filter and e.g. a Redmi 9T shows it in the feature list.

But really better go to the shops.

Do you have possibility to test the NFC function at a shop?

• Like 1

A post has been removed along with a reply.

We will not be questioning why it is wanted as the OP has made it clear, that is a private matter, and hence off topic.

We will not be making speculative insinuations about NFC usage, and we won't be insulting others either.

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Much recommended.

Lazada has an "NFC" feature filter and e.g. a Redmi 9T shows it in the feature list.

But really better go to the shops.

Do you have possibility to test the NFC function at a shop?

If the phone has the NFC symbol will show in settings / connectivity

I just bought a POCO X3 Pro. It has a very fast processor and enough RAM and storage.

It does not have the best camera or screen around the corners and all that. A practical unit without, at least IMHO, unnecessary gimmicks. I can recommend it.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just bought a POCO X3 Pro. It has a very fast processor and enough RAM and storage.

It does not have the best camera or screen around the corners and all that. A practical unit without, at least IMHO, unnecessary gimmicks. I can recommend it.

Does it have NFC? That is my main question

How to check if your smartphone has NFC?

• Open the "Settings App" on your smartphone device.
  • Go to the search option and type "NFC" or "Near Field Communication"
  • If you see the app showing results, then your smartphone supports NFC technology.

Checking NFC Support Natively

If you don’t want to install an app, just to check whether your phone supports NFC, or not, you can do it via Settings, as well. To check if your phone has NFC capabilities, just do the following:

Go to Settings. Under “Wireless and Networks“, tap on “More“. Here, you will see an option for NFC, if your phone supports it. If the option isn’t there, your phone does not have NFC capabilities.

Edited by Susco