Hospitals in Bangkok suspend COVID-19 test as they run out of beds for the infected

webfact

hb.jpg

Several hospitals in Bangkok have suspended PCR swab tests because they are concerned that, if some test positive for COVID-19, they will have no beds to accommodate them. Others have scaled down the service, because their staff are overloaded, according to Dr. Suppachok Kirdlarp of Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine of Ramathibodi hospital.

Meanwhile, Prof. Dr. Thiravat Hemachudha, head of the Thai Red Cross Emerging Infectious Diseases Health Science Centre, said that Chulalongkorn Hospital has suspended COVID-19 swab tests for four days, from today (Thursday) because, if some test positive, there are no beds available.

He said that there are still patients arriving at the ER and several of them have developed lung infections, but no beds are available, adding that several other hospitals are experiencing the same problem.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/hospitals-in-bangkok-suspend-covid-19-test-as-they-run-out-of-beds-for-the-infected/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

so send them home to isolate freeing up spaces.

Nice idea......thing is many won't isolate.............if they are not feeling ill and no work means no money......they go to work.

I know of three businesses where the owner has been taken into a field hospital, but their business, two bars and a restaurant, have continued trading.........because they obviously haven't informed the authorities.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Stopping the compulsory hospitalisation of covid+ patients would be a good first step. It was never a well thought through plan. 

I think it was reasoned that asymptomatic Thais could not be trusted to self-isolate (or could not in shared accommodation) and it was prudent to encacerate them.

Me? I'm off to find a Thai to hug. Can I do that outside of Phuket?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

them home to isolate

....and you think they would stay home in quarantine????? ????????????

I reckon they would suggest not being sick because they were sent home from hospital. 

So I think they are those spreaders forming new clusters. ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Several hospitals in Bangkok have suspended PCR swab tests because they are concerned that, if some test positive for COVID-19, they will have no beds to accommodate them. Others have scaled down the service, because their staff are overloaded, according to Dr. Suppachok Kirdlarp of Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine of Ramathibodi hospital.

There we go, just as I predicted.

In time for the 120 days opening no-more infections.

• Like 1

Of course, if the sick are sent home to self isolate, there surely will be some way to monitor them / give Meds Etc.

Sorry, I forgot where I was. This is Thailand and it just wont happen, so expect ( as you say ) the cases to rocket.

Totally out of control

• Like 2

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Madness! Many who are positive, are not actually sick, so send them home to isolate freeing up spaces. At least if someone knows they are positive they can take measures to stop spreading it around, which is a better option by far rather than just not test anyone and hope for the best.

We can expect the daily infections to start dropping of course in the meantime, which will probably be acclaimed to be a sign the authorities are wining the battle. Losing the war hasn't entered their heads yet.

Have you seen how some Thai people live?Impossible to let them isolate at home,this is a big problem and one of the reasons Thais do not like to get tested.

I do agree not putting them in a hospital,lots of empty hotels but that will take a lot

of organizing and that is also a big problem.

• Like 2

Stop the testing... a page from the Trump book.

Wife and I don't mask at home. A half kilometer away, though, is a slum compound where numbers of people mingle sans masks, etc. My wife says the are all from Myanmar.

I know many go off to work at factories, driving truck, security guard, and so on. Part of why Samut Prakan is a "deep red" zone.

Its a muddle, to be sure.

6 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Great idea.

Let the infected continue to unknowingly spread the virus within their communities.

13 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

cant they bring their own beds ?? and spittoons

Unbelievable!