Coronary Calcium Scan to determine risk of heart attack or stroke

rumak

Has anyone here heard or done this type of scan ?   It is not supposed to be that expensive .

Quote : "Coronary Calcium scans are more predictive than risk calculators because they directly look for plaque formation within

the artery walls. There is no test in the field of Cardiology which can portend a better prognosis for a patient than a score of zero on a Coronary Calcium Scan."

i ask because I have high HDL  but normal (on low side) blood pressure .   All other body systems are normal range .  I have no symptoms of heart discomfort...and not a smoker or overweight.    BUT,  have eaten a diet heavy with meat for a while (no junk food.   very little "bad stuff".      LDL  is  205    HDL  50         that LDL number is said to be dangerous by most "experts"

Your LDL is extremely high indeed. So you are right to be concerned.

Many people have has coronary calcium scans done here including me some years ago when there was a special price on offer at Phyathai Sri Racha. They will pick up at least 90% of blockages in the coronary arteries.

Cost around 4,000 - 10,000 baht give or take. unless part of a check up package or special offer ,have to see a cardiologist first.

• Thanks 1

Not great numbers. Of interest would be the triglycerides number and therefore the important TG/HDL ratio.

You may be one of a group David Feldman calls lean mass hyper-responders to low carb/keto. Read the article here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cholesterol-basics for an informative discussion w/ some ways of possibly lowering that LDL naturally.

A calcium scan would be all to the good anyway, for many of our posters here putting all their faith in their EKGs. As Sheryl noted, Phyathai Sri Racha usually includes it in their checkup packages offered towards the end of the year. You could call or email the hsp re: their next offer.

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Not great numbers. Of interest would be the triglycerides number and therefore the important TG/HDL ratio.

You may be one of a group David Feldman calls lean mass hyper-responders to low carb/keto. Read the article here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cholesterol-basics for an informative discussion w/ some ways of possibly lowering that LDL naturally.

A calcium scan would be all to the good anyway, for many of our posters here putting all their faith in their EKGs. As Sheryl noted, Phyathai Sri Racha usually includes it in their checkup packages offered towards the end of the year. You could call or email the hsp re: their next offer.

thank you.    i have been reading up , but was not aware of the link you shared.  From the blood work i had done,  really there was only one bad number :  LDL .   Triglyceride was 108

(normal range).    Total protein and liver enzymes (all normal range).  CBC, glucose, creatinine, hormone including testosterone.... all normal !  Serum iron normal.

my weight and general health : good   

i may indeed be a "lean mass hyper-responder.   I did not follow Keto exclusively,  but yes I was being more liberal with butter, bacon, beef, pork bone soup almost daily........ along with some carbs, vegies,  and a daily fresh salad.   And i walk daily.    Never any chest discomfort,  and consistent low blood pressure.     So truly a conundrum

ONE MAJOR  fact i did not disclose is that i broke my hip playing basketball (tripped up).

Six months ago.   I was laid up for a month,  then crutches, cane, and now walking almost as before.  I did eat those steaks to help with the healing process.... and my healing, for whatever reason,  has been exceptional for a 70 year old.

I did not get an EKG ..... so maybe that will be first.    

NOTE:  I am aware of the "small group"  that believes high LGL  may not have any negative effect on some people .  Of course they are poo pood as tin hats by most of the medical establisment............. but I try to have an open mind.    And, in my case hope they are right.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Your LDL is extremely high indeed. So you are right to be concerned.

i had the blood testing done at the lab you recommended in CM . (Bria Lab) 

21 minutes ago, rumak said:

From the blood work i had done,  really there was only one bad number :  LDL .   Triglyceride was 108

(normal range).    Total protein and liver enzymes (all normal range).  CBC, glucose, creatinine, hormone including testosterone.... all normal !  Serum iron normal.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you get your blood checked, e.g. every 6 months, 12 months ?

I suffered a heart attack back in 2008 and have had blood checks every 6 months because I want to keep an eye on things and as everything is and has been spot on, so if there was any indication of a change I could act upon it.

Just wondering if you haven't had your blood checked for a while and this might be a mistake ?

2 hours ago, rumak said:

thank you.    i have been reading up , but was not aware of the link you shared.  From the blood work i had done,  really there was only one bad number :  LDL .   Triglyceride was 108

i may indeed be a "lean mass hyper-responder.   I did not follow Keto exclusively,  but yes I was being more liberal with butter, bacon, beef, pork bone soup almost daily........ along with some carbs, vegies,  and a daily fresh salad.   And i walk daily.    Never any chest discomfort,  and consistent low blood pressure.     So truly a conundrum

ONE MAJOR  fact i did not disclose is that i broke my hip playing basketball (tripped up).

Six months ago.   I was laid up for a month,  then crutches, cane, and now walking almost as before.  I did eat those steaks to help with the healing process.... and my healing, for whatever reason,  has been exceptional for a 70 year old.

I did not get an EKG ..... so maybe that will be first.    

NOTE:  I am aware of the "small group"  that believes high LGL  may not have any negative effect on some people .  Of course they are poo pood as tin hats by most of the medical establisment............. but I try to have an open mind.    And, in my case hope they are right.

An EKG will not tell you anything.

A stress test may (picks up abit 80% of CAD so less than CT but is cheaper.

With your numbers coronary calcium CT is good idea IMO.

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

An EKG will not tell you anything.

A stress test may (picks up abit 80% of CAD so less than CT but is cheaper.

With your numbers coronary calcium CT is good idea IMO.

i just found 2 previous blood tests:   7 yrs ago  LDL   121      3 years ago  LDL  149 

During that period I ate very little meat     mostly vegetables , chicken, salads

For the last few years have eaten pork, chicken, beef     not big portions, but daily

along with usual veg and salads and eggs, coffee , noodles..etc     almost 100% made at home

i didn't think EKG was needed.  Did one 7 years ago   all perfectly normal

i agree  coronary calcium CT  would be good idea.      BTW: i am almost 71 now .   No history of heart conditions in my family on either side.    

thank you

Edited by rumak

On 6/24/2021 at 8:12 PM, rumak said:

just found 2 previous blood tests:   7 yrs ago  LDL   121      3 years ago  LDL  149 

During that period I ate very little meat     mostly vegetables , chicken, salads

For the last few years have eaten pork, chicken, beef     not big portions, but daily

along with usual veg and salads and eggs, coffee , noodles..etc     almost 100% made at home

If I were you, I'd get retested. Could Your Cholesterol Test Be Wrong? 

At least one study says fasting doesn't affect your cholesterol test, but I'd fast 14 hours before anyway.

It'd be nice to raise your HDL and lower the TG. One way of doing so would be to exercise more vigorously.