Returning To Thailand After UK Trip

Hi,

I am a 55 year old British national with a Non Immigrant O Guardian Visa based on supporting my 15 year old Thai daughter in Thailand. I am currently in Thailand. I do not posses a work permit.

My daughter has already travelled with my friend to the UK last week and will stay there for 6 weeks before returning to Thailand with my friend. My friend is British and has a work permit as she works at one of the international schools in Bangkok.

I would like to visit the UK for 4 weeks and then come back and do the 14 day ASQ, travelling independently to my daughter and friend and on different dates.

I would appreciate any advice as to how easy or difficult this would be as someone on a Non O Guardian Visa and if I risk being locked out of Thailand due to sudden Immigration rule changes?

Thank you for your advice.

I assume you are actually on an extension of your permission to stay based on being the guardian of your daughter, rather than using a visa issued at an overseas embassy. As long as you will be returning to Thailand before your current extended permission to stay expires, there should be no problem. Remember to get a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay intact for your return to Thailand.

• Like 1

Hello Ubon Joe,

Any word on a reduced or no quarantine for vaccinated inbound retirees in the future?

I don’t  know if I can endure another 15 nights in lockup (with a vaccination).

Seems a bit unfair a tourist can go into Phuket on the “sandbox”, but us retirees have to sit in lockup.

Im USA now w non O.

Appreciate any comments.

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

Any word on a reduced or no quarantine for vaccinated inbound retirees in the future?

I don’t  know if I can endure another 15 nights in lockup (with a vaccination).

The did have a 7 day quarantine if vaccinated but it was canceled due the new wave of covid 19 that we are still in.

2 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

Seems a bit unfair a tourist can go into Phuket on the “sandbox”, but us retirees have to sit in lockup.

Im USA now w non O.

You do not have to be a tourist to enter the Phuket sandbox. Thais and all expats are allowed to do it. 

You could make arrangement to enter at Phuket but there is still nothing about it on the Thai embassy website in the US.

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

Friend of mine who's your age just came back: got both shots in 3 weeks 2 days (in London)!

Interesting. Is he still classed as a UK resident? I am wondering if I could do the same. 

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting. Is he still classed as a UK resident? I am wondering if I could do the same. 

You have to register with a GP in the area you are staying, and then you book an appointment for a jab, which is through the NHS. As stated, you do not need to be a UK citizen, or have a UK (permanent) address. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I'd say it's more of a concern that Thailand will be added to UK Red List at some point in July, if the spread of Indian and South African variants here gets much worse (and I don't see anything to suggest it won't get worse). That will mean hotel quarantine (£1,750) on arrival in UK. Flying to UK though Doha/Dubai is already off the cards because Qatar/UAE are on the Red List. Potentially it could also lead to transit restrictions through some countries in Europe. 

If you're thinking of going, I'd go sooner rather than later. Get vaccinated in UK while you're at it. Friend of mine who's your age just came back: got both shots in 3 weeks 2 days (in London)!

2nd vaccination is at least 6 weeks after the first vaccination?

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, roo860 said:

2nd vaccination is at least 6 weeks after the first vaccination?

It's a moving target, but they are trying to bring down the intervening period to 4 weeks, to help stop the Delta variant.

47 minutes ago, thaiscot said:

If it's true that can get both in 3 weeks that's perfect as I work 4 on 4 off & would be ideal to get both on the same leave rather than having to go back twice

I wouldn't bet on 3 weeks - I think he was just very lucky and hit sweet spot when cases were very low in UK and most everyone who wanted a jab had been given one. I got one in mid April then was given an appointment for end June. I came back here in mid May and asked before I left for No 2 - was told it was too soon. However, about 3 weeks after that, they contacted me and said I could get No 2 in early June (about 7 weeks or so after 1st). Tempting though it was to fly back, the joy of another 14-day ASQ put me off. Now I've got an appointment next week at Phayathai 2 for a shot of AZ ... allegedly ... 

10 hours ago, samtam said:

You have to register with a GP in the area you are staying, and then you book an appointment for a jab, which is through the NHS. As stated, you do not need to be a UK citizen, or have a UK (permanent) address. 

I had loads of agro when i got back.My GP had kicked me off for not doing my six monthly MOT so could not get a date for my first jab.I registered with another GP and had my first Pfizer jab the day after my 10 day quarantine.Hopefully will get the second a month after the first.

16 hours ago, samtam said:

It's much easier than that. There are plenty of places offering walk-in vaccinations, even to undocumented immigrants. The only issue though is that you can't get your vaccination until after your 10-day quarantine. And the normal wait is 8 weeks so I'm not sure how someone managed to get their second shot in just three.