Airtag - anyone tried them?

HashBrownHarry

Yes, I bought one to play with and will buy a 4x pack in the future, the wait time is about 4 weeks last time I checked. 

They seem to work OK, around the house, I’m forever putting the wife’s bike key somewhere special and it keeps her from moaning, so well worth 1000B.

I was a little concerned after watching this video, the guy seems to have an issue in RL situation, he couldn’t lock on to the airtag outside a house and failed to retrieve his keys. However, he got a signal from a parcel in an airplane, could track the parcels, and recovered his bike, so let’s presume they will work well enough.

After buying, I was relieved to find that they can only be reset by the original phone that set them up. So on the whole, not a bad piece of kit.

Im more interested in the future features that apple hasn’t unlocked with relation to home automation.

The future might be interesting if you have an apple connected home.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

After buying, I was relieved to find that they can only be reset by the original phone that set them up. So on the whole, not a bad piece of kit.

I think you are mistaken. It’s that they can only be reset by a device signed into the AppleID that activated them, so restrictive, yes, but not quite as restrictive as you suggest. 

47 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I think you are mistaken. It’s that they can only be reset by a device signed into the AppleID that activated them, so restrictive, yes, but not quite as restrictive as you suggest. 

No mistake, I was presuming that the owner of the Apple ID would be using one of their own devices. 

Perhaps that wasn’t worded so well, try the airtag cannot be reset by another person other than the holder of the original Apple ID that set up the airtag, wether or not they are using a device that belongs to them or not.

I’m sure it must have occurred to some that if the item is lost, that the finder could just remove the battery to reset, which is not true. Apple already thought of this.

• 1 month later...