Register Marriage at Amphor

livram

Married to Thai wife over 30 years ago in USA started out on marriage visa and never needed any translation of documents or copy of Thai marriage registration. Last 20 years have been doing yearly retirement visa in Thailand. Wife has been in Europe for past year and I would like to know can I go to the local Amphor outside Korat with the original marriage certificate from USA and a copy of my wife's signed Thai ID card and have the marriage registered.

As I am now old I would like to take care of any paperwork that I can before I pass to advoid any problems for daughter. I do not have yellow Tian Ban or pink card but daughter that I live with is listed on house tian ban.

• 3 weeks later...

In another posting titled “marriage affidavit” in this forum, earlier today I wrote in detail my experience in registering my marriage at my Amphur in Chiang Mai. Here is what I wrote; but I reiterate you need to go to your Amphur with your wife and ask them what they require…..

“I did a marriage affidavit 2 years ago to obtain a Kor For 22.  I needed the Kor For 22 as I decided to change my extension of stay basis from Retirement to Marriage to a Thai. I originally entered Thailand 9 years ago on an O-A non-immigrant visa based on retirement.  My wife and I were married nearly 30 years ago in Santa Barbara CA.

Only I, and not my wife, needed the marriage affidavit- a self proclamation notarized by the U.S. Consulate in CM as a witness to me signing the prepare affidavit.  This English language affidavit in turn had to be translated into Thai by a "certified translation", then both the original English-language affidavit and the certified Thai translation had to be submitted to the Thai Foreign Ministry for their stamp of approval.  (Note that a copy of the original as well as a certified translation of the Marriage Certificate also had to be submitted to the Amphur to obtain the Kor Ror 22 but neither had to be stamped off by the Thai Foreign Ministry.)”

1 hour ago, jeffandgop said:

In another posting titled “marriage affidavit” in this forum, earlier today I wrote in detail my experience in registering my marriage at my Amphur in Chiang Mai. Here is what I wrote; but I reiterate you need to go to your Amphur with your wife and ask them what they require…..

“I did a marriage affidavit 2 years ago to obtain a Kor For 22.  I needed the Kor For 22 as I decided to change my extension of stay basis from Retirement to Marriage to a Thai. I originally entered Thailand 9 years ago on an O-A non-immigrant visa based on retirement.  My wife and I were married nearly 30 years ago in Santa Barbara CA.

Only I, and not my wife, needed the marriage affidavit- a self proclamation notarized by the U.S. Consulate in CM as a witness to me signing the prepare affidavit.  This English language affidavit in turn had to be translated into Thai by a "certified translation", then both the original English-language affidavit and the certified Thai translation had to be submitted to the Thai Foreign Ministry for their stamp of approval.  (Note that a copy of the original as well as a certified translation of the Marriage Certificate also had to be submitted to the Amphur to obtain the Kor Ror 22 but neither had to be stamped off by the Thai Foreign Ministry.)”

Thank you, that is really good information. I am 76 and wife lives out of country. I am just trying to have everything handy so when I pass my daughter won't have problem getting the paperwork done to have me cremated. I have a will but my wife does not and should she die before me I don't want the authorities telling me I cannot inherit because I am not married since it is not registered in Thailand.