Thailand’s dilemma in Myanmar’s crisis

snoop1130

Kavi_1_web.png

Protesters prepare to burn the flag of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) grouping, as they take part in a flash mob demonstration against the military coup in Yangon on June 14, 2021. (Photo by STR / AFP)

Last week Thailand joined other 35 UN members in abstaining from a major UN Security Council resolution on the situation in Myanmar. The country did so with a heavy heart because it did not have any problem with the substance and demands in the resolution proposed by Liechtenstein. However, in recognition of the reality and current Thai-Myanmar relations as well as the ongoing efforts of ASEAN to find a durable solution there, Bangkok chose to stay away.

The decision caused an uproar on social media platforms inside the country. Human rights activists and campaigners criticized the country’s failure to condemn the violence wrought by the military regime and support the democratic process in Myanmar.  Among others, the resolution called for the international community to stop arms sales to the Tatmadaw, Myanmar’s military, and the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi including repeated calls for immediate cessation of violence. A total of 119 countries backed the resolution with Belarus as the one member supporting it. 

In addition to Thailand, the other four countries (Bangladesh, India, China, and Laos) which share a border with Myanmar also did not vote on the resolution, knowing full well the longer-term implications of their actions. Given the current situation in Myanmar, bilateral contacts through common frontiers are extremely pivotal as the besieged country is under targeted sanctions.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-dilemma-in-myanmars-crisis/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-06-24

• Sad 1

Sadly Thailand knows that its Armed forces are unable to control the Borders so the best way is to turn a blind eye to the whole affair .

The question remains then why does Thailand have a Huge army ?? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Last week Thailand joined other 35 UN members in abstaining from a major UN Security Council resolution on the situation in Myanmar.

Military allies always stick together.

• Like 1

I was in the Nu Po refugee camp, south of Mae Sot and Umphang, on the border, in April. Only reason I could be there was I was with a farang monk bringing supplies and money donations. That camp is one of the 9 remaining border camps; for info go to theborderconsortium.org

The camp looks more run down than it did when I was there in 2013; it was more of a livable village back then. More importantly, the population has perhaps dropped in half, from somewhere upwards of 20,000 back then to officially around 9,000 now.

My point is, that this is the way the Thai government wants it. They do not want the camps to expand again since they are an embarrassment and a burden any way you look at it. If the Thai government took a stand at the UN, it would be that much harder to stop people from coming across. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Last week Thailand joined other 35 UN members in abstaining from a major UN Security Council resolution on the situation in Myanmar. The country did so with a heavy heart because it did not have any problem with the substance and demands in the resolution proposed by Liechtenstein. However, in recognition of the reality and current Thai-Myanmar relations as well as the ongoing efforts of ASEAN to find a durable solution there, Bangkok chose to stay away

Not surprising, one dictatorship to another.

All the ASEAN countries will have abstained because of the Toothless Tiger Asean's non interference policy. It is a great way of ensuring nothing ever gets done.

ASEAN must be one of the most useless alliances on this earth, except when it comes to a 

urinating contest

A real vote would have upset China as well

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I feel better for knowing that, if the country has to go to war, there will be a 2 star General in the commander's seat of every tank. 

If I were the opponents I would feel good knowing that too, given their ineptitude, total lack of operational experience, and I am sure lack of understanding of the basics of tactics, fire and movement, effective use of ground and CCC (command. control and communications). It would be a turkey shoot.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I feel better for knowing that, if the country has to go to war, there will be a 2 star General in the commander's seat of every tank. 

Impossible to command a tank from miles behind the front line.... 

9 hours ago, Enzian said:

I was in the Nu Po refugee camp, south of Mae Sot and Umphang, on the border, in April. Only reason I could be there was I was with a farang monk bringing supplies and money donations. That camp is one of the 9 remaining border camps; for info go to theborderconsortium.org

The camp looks more run down than it did when I was there in 2013; it was more of a livable village back then. More importantly, the population has perhaps dropped in half, from somewhere upwards of 20,000 back then to officially around 9,000 now.

My point is, that this is the way the Thai government wants it. They do not want the camps to expand again since they are an embarrassment and a burden any way you look at it. If the Thai government took a stand at the UN, it would be that much harder to stop people from coming across. 

Sadly is that probably the  truth and reality  in the situation is If Thailand were to support the UN resolution it would then be obliged  to accept a massive flood of  "refugees"  which especially at this moment also fumbling with the  covid-19 problem already exacerbated  by illegal entry from same source . That 35  countries have declined / abstained indicates a degree of consensus albeit the reasons may differ and in spite of  genuine sympathy and concern for the general population of Myanmar.

Compared to some other humanitarian issues Myanmar presents with lesser significance than such as  Syria where the conflict is influenced  by outside  interests.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 8:01 PM, Khun Paul said:

Sadly Thailand knows that its Armed forces are unable to control the Borders so the best way is to turn a blind eye to the whole affair .

The question remains then why does Thailand have a Huge army ?? 

That's an easy question to answer:  Thailand, and many other countries, have a huge army to protect the elites from the citizens.

• Like 1

all thailand needs to do is prop up the minority armies on the border and put in a puppet govt when the junta falls.

the reward is control over the pipelines from china in burma.

time to re-visit military roots and start acting like soldiers again rather then politicians.