The "Merit Point Collection System".

swissie

Most of us were raised in a "christian environement". We were told, that it is extremely important to do "good-deeds", thus increasing our chances to end up in heaven instead of hell, later on.

Very similar in Buddhism. A "Making Merit Point Collecting System" seems to be of great importance to Thais.

- Often I sat on my veranda around sunset with a can of high quality Thai-Beer and wondering: Are the help and favors that the Thais (including family) have given me the result of "they must like me" or was I just part within the "Making Merit Point Collecting System"? Or both? Or was it the size of my Bank-Account or the size of my Penis? (One of them was/is quite large, but I am not telling wich).

I gave up, I'l never know. Thailand will never disclose it's true "inner-workings" to strangers. This will have to suffice as an explanation. But maybe it's this (among other things), that attracts strangers to this country. A country, that has fundamentally no use for "strangers", outside of monetary implications.

PS: If somebody can supply some answers, I will be happy to show my appreciation by buying a couple of rounds of high quality Thai-Beers, all part of my personal "Merit Point Collecting System", of course.
Cheers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

My parents tried that brainwashing on me too. Thankfully, in my case at least, it didn't take.

I can pretty much guarantee your morals and value systems, your ideas of what it means to be a good person, the way you believe others should be treated, and so on, are heavily influence by Christianity.  (Unless you aren't from a Western/Christian country or you are a social outcast.)

Do this - or this will happen.

Don't do this - or this will happen

Get a haircut and get a real job

A real man ...

All about control

The values which stuck with me, and which I still practice, were taught to me by outsiders from society - which we called "Citizens"

Don't be a sheep

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 7:52 PM, swissie said:

with a can of high quality Thai-Beer

There are no high quality Thai beers.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:52 PM, swissie said:

Thailand will never disclose it's true "inner-workings" to strangers.

There are no true inner workings here. 

Money Number One, and the Thai's make no secret of that fact.

Did you consider that the Thai's around you go to make merit for what they have done / are doing to you?    

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

There are no high quality Thai beers.

There are no true inner workings here. 

Money Number One, and the Thai's make no secret of that fact.

Did you consider that the Thai's around you go to make merit for what they have done / are doing to you?    

To the best of my knowledge, Buddhism doesn't exclude any Nationalities from the "point collecting system". Meaning that Thais can very well collect points when doing a good deed towards a Farang. Feeding a soi dog can also bring "points".

One of the best ways for A Farang to collect tons of points would be to post things here like: "Come on over you downtrodden Tourists, in Pattaya everything is fine and dandy". Thus helping to save the Pattaya Tourist Industry! TONS OF POINTS!
Something tells me, that it won't be you, posting such content.????

50 minutes ago, swissie said:

One of the best ways for A Farang to collect tons of points would be to post things here like: "Come on over you downtrodden Tourists, in Pattaya everything is fine and dandy". Thus helping to save the Pattaya Tourist Industry! TONS OF POINTS!

That would be called deception, not making merit.  

50 minutes ago, swissie said:

Something tells me, that it won't be you, posting such content.

I've helped out several Thai's over the course of covid.   Have you?   

On 6/26/2021 at 4:36 PM, Leaver said:

That would be called deception, not making merit.  

I've helped out several Thai's over the course of covid.   Have you?   

I am limited to helping out Thais in my home country these days. I visit Thai Restaurants/Bars/Clubs/Salons plenty. (Most of the money I spend here will find it's way to Thailand).
I also rent buses to cart the Thais to their temples here. Where they (in turn) can make merit. As you can see, I am engulfed in an inflationary "point collecting" upward spiral.

After my demise, I am all set. What could possibly go wrong?

* Some comments should be taken with "a grain of salt". Wink wink etc. Has the same relaxing effect like a Thai massage. I highly recommend both.