Y did I leave?! - return to Thailand on Ed visa (prosecuted by last school?)

Fark! I left Thailand in May 2021 after leaving my last school in April. It was my third school since 2016. Just before I left I received some mail like they were prosecuting me for not completing my contract...I returned to Australia in May 2021. I was sick but now I'm better I regret my decision. I want to go to NZ then on to Thailand. 

My question is; what is the 3 school rule exactly and can I get back by applying for Ed visa? Please help. (I'm dual AUS-EU citizen, previously in T-land on Australia PP) 

Edited by Durning
Missing info
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wprime said:

Relax, not completing a contract is a civil issue.

Theoretically, if they have your current address (I assume they do as they sent you mail), they can take you to court. If you don't attend a default judgement will be made and you will be ordered to pay a sum of money to the school. This will not affect your ability to enter Thailand but will affect your ability to have any assets in Thailand (property, bank accounts, etc).

In practice, nothing is going to happen because the cost to take you to court far exceeds the amount you'd be ordered to pay them.

How do you know how much he would have to pay? The school can ask for any amount of damages for breaking a legal contract.

15 hours ago, wprime said:

They can ask any amount, they won't win it.

He's only be liable for reasonably forseeable, consequential losses they incur as a result of breaking the contract.

It is extremely likely that you are correct. However, bear in mind that the Thai court system can be corrupt. If the OP has funds, and the school both knows this and has local court influence, there are no guarantees. In this situation, it can be an advantage if the OP is quite poor.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 12:27 AM, bwpage3 said:

How do you know how much he would have to pay? The school can ask for any amount of damages for breaking a legal contract.

They can only ask for money they have given  to him as per contract. Have they paid for anything up front I doubt at so the school has no case. He also would need a letter from the court. The school is just talking. Chestnuts!  Ask me I have five civil/criminal cases going on for the last year... And still waiting even the judges are lazy.. 

Edited by arick
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Did you not give a reason for leaving? if you were sick then maybe you could get a doctors letter to confirm this. also you could give Covid-19  pandemic the reason for leaving. Or arrive on your EU passport. I know nothing of working in Thailand but this is my logical mind working.

• Like 1

I would imagine your biggest problem is being red flagged.....if the Thais have such a system......what about references?.......won't they now be a problem?.......walking out on an employer must have consequences, if you are to return to the same profession?

• Haha 1

Any potential problems you might have will not be with immigration or entering the country. 

The problems will be with getting a Teacher's license waiver and Work Permit.  The Kurusapa (Teacher's Council of Thailand) issues Teacher's Licenses or Teacher's License waivers.  To get a Teacher's license you need a BEd or a graduate degree in education and a year's experience at a single school, OR a teacher's license from your native country.  So, almost everyone gets a Waiver to teach to begin with. 

You are limited to 3 two-year waivers.  If your 3 previous schools actually got waivers for you, you will not be able to get a new waiver and will not be able to get a Work Permit as a teacher.

There is a way around this problem:  Enroll in a graduate course in Education and ask politely to get a new waiver and getting a 4th or even 5th waiver should be possible.  There are several local courses available that will give you the degree needed to get a Teacher's License.  They range in cost from ฿50K for a degree from the Philippines to about ฿200K for a proper PGCEi or MEd from the UK or US.  All of these options presume that you already have some sort of BA or BS.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 12:27 AM, bwpage3 said:

That's like selling properties.... You can always ask, getting it is a different matter...

3 hours ago, arick said:

They can only ask for money they have given  to him as per contract. Have they paid for anything up front I doubt at so the school has no case. He also would need a letter from the court. The school is just talking. Chestnuts!  Ask me I have five civil/criminal cases going on for the last year... And still waiting even the judges are lazy.. 

I'LL BE BACK. 555555

Heh. This thread needs clarity. It's titled ED visa. That would imply he's been a student, not a teacher. OP, were you a student at some Muay Thai school, combat school, or language school?

Then it would make sense as to why they're prosecuting him. He didn't complete the course, and didn't pay all the fees, after they had got the visa for him.

If he was a teacher, he would've had a Non B visa, and they might be prosecuting him to recover the visa and work permit fees they had paid. But that is rare. Teachers split all the time, and schools don't care about eating those costs, as they already get plenty of money skimming from the farangs' salary they get from the Ministry of Ed. ????

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Heh. This thread needs clarity. It's titled ED visa.

Read the OP again.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:23 PM, Durning said:

My question is; what is the 3 school rule exactly and can I get back by applying for Ed visa?

He is asking about entering on a ED visa.

Ahh. He was a teacher on Non B visas. He's been through three of them. Now he wants to come back on Non ED. Sorry.

If he left without canceling the last work permit, that's the only prob I can see. That usually involves having to pay a fine.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

Yes. I was in Thailand for five years at three schools. First two schools I completed contract. Last school I left a few weeks early from completion as was sick. They sent some mail looked like some kind of contract breach prosecution. I binned it and returned AU. I want to come back and find a job but I only have a BA and a MA (not related Education). Im wondering the best way to return and how I go about getting a teaching job at that time. 

I really appreciate people s input. I don't even know about waivers and assume I've not had one

Edited by Durning
Missing info

On 6/26/2021 at 7:37 AM, arick said:

Your new school will check with the ministry of Education using a copy of your passport.  To see if you have worked in more then three school. 

I worked with more than 10 schools.