Please check the veracity of my proposed path

Hi folks, I'm one of the newest members here. I'm trying to figure out my way to an (eventual) retirement situation. I've been studying this subject (retirement, visas, O, O-A, etc.) for weeks now, and every time I think I've finally drilled down far enough to ascertain the facts, I find conflicting information that throws me back into a state of confusion.

Here is the way I'm currently thinking of doing it based on a lot of reading, including many posts on this site by members who seem to know what they're talking about. Please scrutinize it and tell me if there are any errors in my understanding or plan. No planning of this can be done without a timeline grid to work against, it seems, so let's say that my desired date of arrival is October 15, which is basically when I do want to arrive.

1. Arrive in Thailand October 15, 2021 with visa-on-arrival (and sandbox quarantine in Phuket or wherever if still required). This visa gives 30 days (expires Nov 15)

2. While in quarantine, utilize a Thai law firm or visa agent to facilitate getting a Thai bank account, and deposit 800,000 THB into it—and do it very soon, say on October 22 but absolutely before November 15

3. Apply for 30-day visa extension of the visa-on-arrival before November 15 (November 7?). This 30-day extension will be good for November 15 to December 15

4. Apply for Non-Immigrant O visa for purpose of retirement in Thailand (apply on December 7?). This is a 90-day visa good from Dec 15 to March 15, 2022. On the day I apply for this I must show a bank statement from my US bank account showing that I have had 400,000 THB equivalent in there (~$12,500) going back at least one month.

5. On February 15, 2022, apply for an O-A extension that will run from March 15, 2022 to March 15, 2023. With the application I'll provide a bank statement showing that the 800,000 THB has been in the Thai bank account since at least November 15, 2021

6. Two weeks (?) prior to March 15, 2023, apply for renewal of O-A extension to get another year

One of the biggest points of confusion for me right now is the financial requirement for the Non-O. Some sources I see are saying it's 400,000 THB shown to be in my US bank account for a month going back, while other sources are saying it's 800k... which is it? And how long, actually, do I have to show that's it's been in that account?

Thanks in advance.

Being a night owl I guess I am one of the first to see your post. What I can tell you is that you need 800k sitting in a Thai bank for two months before you apply for extension based on retirement.

However, never heard of Imm here caring about your assets, bank ac., etc. back home. So what you say about your US bank account is probably wrong.

Rest of what you say fits with my understanding but wait till morning here for really knowledgeable folk to respond.

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

One point of note before anyone jumps on it is that you will not be using "Visa on Arrival" this is for a very specific and small group of countries mostly on the Indian sub-continent, you will get a 30 day "Visa Exemption" (at present it's 45 days to cover the current quarantine requirements).

Only slightly related, but have they determined that visa exempts into the Phuket sandbox will also get 45 days?  That would make it easier for the OP to do his conversion without having to do yet another 30 day extension.

• Like 1

i'm repeating what some have noted already but adding some:

you arrive visa exempt for 30 days (maybe 45 if still quarantine rules).  contact siam legal to assist with the bank account.  transfer the 800,000thb to the thai bank account, apply for the 30 day extension to visa exempt entry to give you some extra time to apply for the non O while you still have at least 15 days left on the 30 day extension (non OA's are applied for in your home country, not thailand) .  the 800,000 does not need 'seasoning' when you apply for the conversion from a visa exempt entry to a non O for retirement.  leave the money in the account and then it will be 'seasoned' when you apply for the one year extension.

the application to convert/change from the visa exempt to non O takes two trips to immigration.  one to apply, wait two weeks for approval and then go back to pick it up.  your non O will start the day you applied not the day you picked it up.

i've did this a few yrs ago and will be doing it again soon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You can come in on a visa exempt to Phuket once the finalize the regs, unless the change done between now and then. You get 45 days on Visa Exempt and can extend for 30 more days.    No need for a lawyer to open a bank account and transfer your 800 k to Thailand you can do that yourself.  If you plan to change over to a non OA you can do that in your home country ( your from USA I'm guessing but may be wrong) before you come a save a few steps.   I'm sure others will chime in, look for UbonJoe' reply

a non OA from your home country requires medical insurance, a requirement that many complain about.  the non O does not currently have that requirement.  it is difficult to open a bank account on a visa exempt entry, it depends what city you are in and how many bank branches you want to visit.  visa agents and legal firms can open them with ease for a fee.

Arrive visa exempt (not visa on arrival) currently 45 days.

Yes can use agent to arrange bank account..

Transfer 800k from overseas to your bank account. From USA 'Wise' would be good option.

The money needs to be in bank the day you apply for non O. 

Apply for 30day extension if need time.

Apply for non O. That visa gives you 90 day permit to stay. (Best to have up to 30 days left on your permission of stay) when you apply.

After 2 months seasoning of the funds you can apply for 12 month extension.

You will require the required docs for your extension.

Non O-A does not come into it.

That visa is applied for in your own country.

Options: you could apply for non O (retirement) in USA (pretty sure they offer that visa. Not all countries do). 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PadPrikKhing said:

While in quarantine, utilize a Thai law firm or visa agent to facilitate getting a Thai bank account, and deposit 800,000 THB

Most perilous. Just open one yourself post-quarantine. Don't tempt fate.

Edited by mvdf
  • Sad 2

OP, you appear to bee confusing O-A visa and O visa, and the requirements of both.

O-A applied for in home country, show money in bank in home country, no Thai bank account or money seasoning required, a 1 year stay stamped in your passport at the airport, no visit to immigration on arrival (except 90 day reports later). requires long-term insurance

O visa, arrive in thailand visa exempt, Tourist visa, (or 90 day O visa, if home country issues them), open Thai bank account asap and deposit 800k (there is no 400k figure, not sure where you get that from), convert VE or TR to an O visa at immigration (or stay on existing O if home country does it)

During the 90 day O visa, (after funds have been seasoned 60 days) apply for a 1 year extension of stay. No long-term insurance

Below is your 6 steps with corrections in bold

1. Arrive in Thailand October 15, 2021 with visa-on-arrival (and sandbox quarantine in Phuket or wherever if still required). This visa gives 30 days (expires Nov 15)

2. While in quarantine, utilize a Thai law firm or visa agent to facilitate getting a Thai bank account, and deposit 800,000 THB into it—and do it very soon, say on October 22 but absolutely before November 15

3. Apply for 30-day visa extension of the visa-on-arrival before November 15 (November 7?). This 30-day extension will be good for November 15 to December 15

4. Apply for Non-Immigrant O visa for purpose of retirement in Thailand (apply on December 7?). This is a 90-day visa good from Dec 15 to March 15, 2022. On the day I apply for this I must show a bank statement from my THAI bank account showing that I have  800,000 THB equivalent in there 

5. On February 15, 2022, apply for an EXTENSION OF STAY that will run from March 15, 2022 to March 15, 2023. With the application I'll provide a bank statement showing that the 800,000 THB has been in the Thai bank account since at least November 15, 2021

6. Two weeks (?) prior to March 15, 2023, apply for renewal of EXTENSION OF STAY to get another year

• Like 1

I arrived on 5/5/2021 with visa exempt. I went to my local immigration in Nog Bua Lom Phu on 17 June (one day before my visa exempt expired) and filed a 60-day COVID extension. That gave me until 17 August. I already sent my 800K THB to my local Thai Bank account (Kasikorn Bank). One thing my immigration paper says - is to file for the Non-O extension, it needs to be 15 days before my COVID extension expires. See attached letter/paper.

As for transferring the 800K THB, I used my bank/brokerage as opposed to using Wise (formerly Transfer Wise) because the wire transfer via my bank in the USA was only $25 USD - Transfer Wise wanted $155 USD in fees.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 08.18.56.png

Non-O Visa Extension Requirements.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your posts. I'm going to study them and work up an edited version of my timeline based on the corrections I got here and post it for another round of critique. Then maybe, hopefully, it can get narrowed down to something that is accurate and that I can go by.

If anyone is wondering why I'm trying to form an exact timeline, it's because I absolutely can't keep all this relative-date stuff straight in my head at all... I have to have a document that lays it all out for me to follow like a map once I get there, or I just know I'll screw something up.

Thanks Crossy for correcting me on visa-exempt versus visa-on-arrival. 

I previously thought the O-A was both a visa applied for from outside Thailand/in one's home country as well as the name for the extension of stay obtained after a Non-O. I can see now that doesn't make sense, so thanks for the correction Peterw42. (You said you weren't sure where I got the 400,000 THB thing from: it was from a comment that someone posted on this forum saying that, but it seems clear now that it was wrong.)

One snag I can see here is that I can't form my timeline without knowing whether my visa-exempt entry is going to afford me 30 days or 45 days. I'm sure some would say that it's an easy bet that quarantine will still be happening in October, but we don't know that for sure. I figure that by October it's possible that the Thai government will have thrown up their hands and said "Okay, anyone provably vaccinated can come in." I guess I'll have to make two timeline versions, one for each situation.

-------

So here is my revised timeline. I hope some of you can look it over again and point out any errors. I omitted the 30-day extension between entry and the Non-O application because it looks like I don't need the extra time, but please advise.

PROPOSED METHOD AND TIMELINE (assumes 14-day sandbox quarantine and 45-day entry permission)

1. Arrive in Thailand October 15, 2021 as visa-exempt. This gives 45 days (expires Nov 30). I'll have to show an onward ticket with a departure date of November 30 or before.
  2. October 18 (during quarantine—this should be possible with the sandbox-style quarantine) - obtain a Thai bank account and transfer/deposit ~$25,175 (whatever equals 800,000 THB) into it. If it starts to prove difficult, pay Siam Legal or a similar firm to facilitate obtaining it.
  3. November 1 - apply for Non-Immigrant O visa for purpose of retirement in Thailand. This is a 90-day visa that will be good from November 1 to February 1, 2022. On the day I apply for this, I must provide a bank statement from my Thai bank account showing that I have the 800,000 THB in there.
  4. December 31, 2021 (as January 1, 2022 is a Saturday and New Year's Day and I assume that immigration offices are closed on both) - apply for a 12-month Extension of Stay that will run from February 2, 2022 to February 2, 2023. With the application I'll provide a bank statement showing that the 800,000 THB has been in my Thai bank account since October 18, 2021 (accomplishing the required 60 days of "seasoning").
  5. January 19, 2023 (which is two weeks prior to February 2, 2023) - apply for renewal of Extension of Stay to get another year.

Regarding step 4, am I right in instructing myself to apply for the Extension of Stay a month prior to the expiration of the O visa? And in step 5, should I apply for the 12-month extension renewal 2 weeks before the expiration of the first extension, or should that also be done a month before? Thanks

Edited by PadPrikKhing
  • Like 1

I am not a visa expert and I do understand that it gets confusing...

rest assured that once you have it sorted out then it is an easy repeat of the previous year. I think a lot of the confusion came about as many who did not legitimately qualify had their routes of proof of funds closed down.. 

personally, [over 20 years] I have found immigration helpful when I had issues [me screwing up] a couple of times over the years... 

I assume you have been here before - but welcome to your retirement and I hope you can get out of Phuket and explore this wonderful country, people and fascinating culture. 

3 hours ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Regarding step 4, am I right in instructing myself to apply for the Extension of Stay a month prior to the expiration of the O visa? And in step 5, should I apply for the 12-month extension renewal 2 weeks before the expiration of the first extension, or should that also be done a month before? Thanks

FYI December 31st is a Thai holiday.

You can apply for your extension at anytime during the last 30 days of your permit to stay up to the last day. Best to do it at least 2 weeks early incase you are lacking in one of the required that immigration may want. 

2 minutes ago, Chosenfew said:

Be very careful of any agency as many are unscrupulous…

I've definitely heard this, so I would be careful for sure. I see Siam Legal's name thrown around a lot here. Is that because they've proven to be scrupulous?

How about Integrity Legal? They wanted to charge me 5,350 THB to "render an opinion regarding the posture of your overall case, options, and the most optimal way(s) in which to proceed" about my question about the police letter issue (see my other thread); however, I think I already got the advice and info I need here about that (thanks ThaiVisa.com!). Lawyers need to be paid for their time, so I don't think they're gouging. I would like to know how much Siam Legal and/or Integrity Legal would charge to facilitate the obtaining of my Thai bank account though. If it's like $40 or $50, I'd be glad to pay it.

After an extended absence, I came back to Thailand on a tourist visa, went directly to immigration which provided a non-O visa and multiple re-entry for 19k baht. This gave me 15 months to set up the bank account.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J Town said:

After an extended absence, I came back to Thailand on a tourist visa, went directly to immigration which provided a non-O visa and multiple re-entry for 19k baht. This gave me 15 months to set up the bank account.

What you received was a 90-day entry on the conversion visa, plus the one-year extension of your permission to stay as a package deal. Usually, you need to use an agent for this, and Immigration does not want to deal with you directly on what is most likely a fraudulent application (no financial proof). It seems you found a brave Immigration official willing to arrange things without the use of a third party designed to preserve plausible deniability. The price of 19,000 baht was very good. How long ago was this? Do not name the immigration office publicly, but I would be interested if you are willing to let me know this by private message.

Edited by BritTim

On 6/25/2021 at 6:05 AM, Dan O said:

You can come in on a visa exempt to Phuket once the finalize the regs, unless the change done between now and then. You get 45 days on Visa Exempt and can extend for 30 more days.    No need for a lawyer to open a bank account and transfer your 800 k to Thailand you can do that yourself.  If you plan to change over to a non OA you can do that in your home country ( your from USA I'm guessing but may be wrong) before you come a save a few steps.   I'm sure others will chime in, look for UbonJoe' reply

I've read numerous times in the last week that there's no visa exemption entry.  All must come in on a visa

5 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

I've read numerous times in the last week that there's no visa exemption entry.  All must come in on a visa

False info.

A visa exempt entry is still allowed since they started allowing them again near the end of last year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When and how did you do that.

The non-o visa applied for at immigration only gives you a 90 day permit to stay when is issued and you have to show financial proof to apply for it. Then you have to apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

I believe I wrote exactly what I did.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You paid a bribe direct to immigration. 

Does happen but very unusual.

I went to the office, explained my situation, and they offered me their solution to our mutual satisfaction.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, J Town said:

I went to the office, explained my situation, and they offered me their solution to our mutual satisfaction.

And again as I stated. You paid a bibe and just pointing out that while this can happen, it's not the norm to be dealing directly with immigration.

The majority obtaining such a visa and extension without meeting the financials would deal with an agent.

You won't divulge your imm office. That's up to you. 

Hence don't see much point to your original post. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, rwill said:

I didn't see anyone mention it but 400,000 baht is for marriage based extension.  Otherwise you need 800,000.

Ah. That's where that came from. Thanks. Someone in some other thread mentioned that without mentioning the marriage context, and I had thought it applied to what I was trying to do.