The Nature Of Addiction

OxfordWill

I started smoking about 1.5 years ago, initially socially, only when drinking and then later I had a health scare combined with a work scare (was facing the loss of my company, and all associated investment- thankfully avoided it in the end!) I started to smoke to relieve stress. I would smoke at night/evenings in between working and sometimes as a "reward" for doing some boring task.

Anyhow, 1.5 years later and now I smoke socially, if I drink I will usually light up unless somebody in the group hates smoke in which case I avoid it. During the day I smoke at most 3 a day, sometimes none at all. However I tend to go out most evenings. I never want to smoke when I wake up, which from many of my smoking friends is a sure sign of addiction. I have never experienced "cravings" for cigarettes- however I experience the "desire" to have one. To me it genuinely feels like I do not crave it, but I genuinely "enjoy" it. I like the whole act, not just the chemicals. I enjoy standing on the balcony, watching the sun set, and a cigarette in hand makes that even more enjoyable. I can still enjoy those things without a cigarette though.

Surely, after 1.5 years of regular but minimal smoking I am an addict? Yet sometimes I go for a 7 days straight without even thinking of smoking (especially when I have not been able to go out in the evenings during that week for whatever reason).

Your thoughts most appreciated..

I started smoking about 1.5 years ago, initially socially, only when drinking and then later I had a health scare combined with a work scare (was facing the loss of my company, and all associated investment- thankfully avoided it in the end!) I started to smoke to relieve stress. I would smoke at night/evenings in between working and sometimes as a "reward" for doing some boring task.

Anyhow, 1.5 years later and now I smoke socially, if I drink I will usually light up unless somebody in the group hates smoke in which case I avoid it. During the day I smoke at most 3 a day, sometimes none at all. However I tend to go out most evenings. I never want to smoke when I wake up, which from many of my smoking friends is a sure sign of addiction. I have never experienced "cravings" for cigarettes- however I experience the "desire" to have one. To me it genuinely feels like I do not crave it, but I genuinely "enjoy" it. I like the whole act, not just the chemicals. I enjoy standing on the balcony, watching the sun set, and a cigarette in hand makes that even more enjoyable. I can still enjoy those things without a cigarette though.

Surely, after 1.5 years of regular but minimal smoking I am an addict? Yet sometimes I go for a 7 days straight without even thinking of smoking (especially when I have not been able to go out in the evenings during that week for whatever reason).

Your thoughts most appreciated..

:o

Yo Mate, heads up! You have just described the perfect addiction scenario... "I'm not an addict, I can quit any time..." Just quit for 7 days... Most lightweights can do that with no problem at all...

What you are describing is the beginnings of a more suble psychological addiction that is slowly creeping into a physical one... Believe me, just give it time and you will be a full-blown addict soon...

Instead of using this killer weed to adjust your brain and stress...

...why not spend the time to learn some really healthy habits...??? That also manage stress?

like:

breathing properly (yes that is a hugely overlooked area...)

check out chanting and meditation if you don't know what I mean...

singing (once the breathing is easy...)

laughing

talking

sleeping

hiking

smelling

swimming

dancing

loving

Yoga-ing

;

;

;

and there is much much more out there!!!

And beware... this harmless little relaxing "social" habit of yours will creep up and kill you in time...

Choose what is right for you...

Choose life,

:D

dseawarrior

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...