Would There Be A Market For A Golf Tours In Chiang Mai?

kiwifamily

Greetings all, am in need of some advice from golfers within Thailand. I am a 34 yr old mad golfer and have been working in the golf industry for going on 15 years. From becoming a qualified greenskeeper in New Zealand to working for an online golf sales company in London. My passion is golf and I have am looking for a new venture in the industry. I have a relative whom is property developing in Chiang mai and is trying to encourage me into getting into the golf tours industry there. We have just invested in a condo in Chiang mai as a first step to relocating from NZ with our young child.

Looking online there seems to be a few competitors about, some well established some not. Has anyone on here booked trips through online golf tour companys in thailand? How was it?

Most importantly do you think there would be room for another player?

Any advice, tips or general info anyone can provide would be much appreciated!!

Kind regards

Chris Heenan :o

p.s Has the Golf equipment industry improved much in the past 5 yrs? Found it hard to track down golf stores when there last and found it quite expensive compared to Singapore etc.

I have a friend who lives in Singapore and likes to come to thailand to golf as Singapore is extremely expensive comparatively. I wonder if anything like that runs out of Singapore?

Dear KF,

Guess it depends who you are going to market to. Asian market or farang ??

A few fellows over the yrs, I have know, have tried it. 2 Aussies, an English man. Then there are endless Taiwanese, Japanese, Korean, and a few Chinese. This yr I noticed a lot less Korean and Taiwan pkg tours. Rumor was they were going to Mission Hills, Shanghai, and a few other Chinese courses with better rates and easier start times. Can be done. Fewer courses up here. Although more opening these days. Highlands GC has helped. Takes pressure off Lanna, Green Valley, and R C G C.

During high season you are going to compete with established operators for t times. I am a member of 2 of the mentioned courses and during the high season sometimes have to tee off at 6am to even get on

:-(

Edited by greedisgood

i know many golfers that come from the uk to play here. some groups, some individual. All of them do it themselves.Thats the internet for you.Ther reall is no need to book a package as it takes a few minutes on line to sort out hotels and flights.Most courses in chiangmai are very quiet and dont need pre booking.

The way to go would be to get cheap flights , hotels and discounts on green fees, but the internet has made these deals available to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone that passed on there advice. I hope to be in Chiang mai and starting some kind of venture early next year. I know there will be lots of hurdles but hopefully I will be able to tap into some of the market.

Just one other idea I'll throw at you for your advice

If I was to offer Hotel guests (possibly in Bangkok and/or Chiang mai) day to day golf rounds where I supplied all top quality equipment transport booking etc would there be a market?

Just thinking rather than targeting the golf tourist, I could target the businessman/ holiday maker with time on there hands.

I realise you can hire clubs etc from the course but it may feel too much trouble for a one off game for the traveller to organise.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Once again thanks for reading my post

Cheers

Chris

i know many golfers that come from the uk to play here. some groups, some individual. All of them do it themselves.Thats the internet for you.Ther reall is no need to book a package as it takes a few minutes on line to sort out hotels and flights.Most courses in chiangmai are very quiet and dont need pre booking.

The way to go would be to get cheap flights , hotels and discounts on green fees, but the internet has made these deals available to everyone.