Moving To Chiangmai Next Year

Totoche

Hello,

I will move next year to Chiangmai to live there and I do have in my belongings a fire-arm (for sport, of course! :o ). What are the rules I have to follow if I want to import it in Thailand?

I will have a resident permit as my wife is Thaï.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Totoche

You do not get a resident permit for having a wife that is Thai. Better check that out first.

Firearms are very tightly controlled and import lisense has to be approved for any weapon coming into Thailand AFAIK. Foreigner are generally not allowed to own weapons, although believe there are exceptions now for sport under police or military supervision in some areas.

See this Q&A

LINK

Hello,

I will move next year to Chiangmai to live there and I do have in my belongings a fire-arm (for sport, of course! :D ). What are the rules I have to follow if I want to import it in Thailand?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Totoche

Are you for real ?????? :o

I will move next year to Chiangmai to live there and I do have in my belongings a fire-arm (for sport, of course! :o ). What are the rules I have to follow if I want to import it in Thailand?

I do not know the exact legal situation but I would make the assumption that a foreigner will have to jump through many a hoop before they receive permission to legally import a handgun for any purpose whatsoever. You are better off having a Thai family member obtain a pistol for you.

There is/was (?) a very good gunsmith shop in Chiang Mai. You might be able to purchase a sport pistol from them. Although the father passed away recently, his son may be continuing in the gun smithing business. The son was a member of the Thai Olympic pistol team many back in the 1980s. I haven't visited the family in quite a few years but the home is just a few blocks west of Chotana RD. Ask around when in Chiang Mai, especially amongst the police, and somebody will be able to direct you.

And as a previous poster hinted, what are you smoking if you think you get a permanent resident permit simply for being married to a Thai national?

I will move next year to Chiangmai to live there and I do have in my belongings a fire-arm (for sport, of course!  :D ). What are the rules I have to follow if I want to import it in Thailand?

I do not know the exact legal situation but I would make the assumption that a foreigner will have to jump through many a hoop before they receive permission to legally import a handgun for any purpose whatsoever. You are better off having a Thai family member obtain a pistol for you.

There is/was (?) a very good gunsmith shop in Chiang Mai. You might be able to purchase a sport pistol from them. Although the father passed away recently, his son may be continuing in the gun smithing business. The son was a member of the Thai Olympic pistol team many back in the 1980s. I haven't visited the family in quite a few years but the home is just a few blocks west of Chotana RD. Ask around when in Chiang Mai, especially amongst the police, and somebody will be able to direct you.

And as a previous poster hinted, what are you smoking if you think you get a permanent resident permit simply for being married to a Thai national?

:o:D:D:D

Oh, this is like watching that wonderful Thai TV, why does everyone want a gun. If you love guns so much, live in the USA, Cambodia, The Philippines or Saudi Arabia.

Do you feel threatened moving to another country and not having a gun, or do you generally feel "safer" carrying a gun?

Yes, they are still very much around and are out near the Chotana Police Station, just off the Mae Rim Road. They also run the gun club close to there.

Despite being rabidly anti firearms, I have a gun registered in my wife's name. It was presented to us by a senior police officer, a friend of many years.

My wife required his reccomendation, plus that of the gunsmith, whose wife is another friend, when she went to apply for her permit.

As things stood, she was permitted to register only a .38 standard caliber firearm. She was informed that all other sizes of munition are banned for civilians.

Ok. Thank you for your counsel. As it is a cllection gun it will be easy for me to sell it before to move in thailand.

I do understand that this question was a bit surprising for some people, but for your general information, note that in Switzerland each person who make or has made his military service has his gun at home. And I am sure that there is less crime in Switzerland that anywhere in the world (except maybe Monaco or Liechtenstein :o ). Golf praticed by some people is probably more dangerous...

Concerning my visa, I said resident and of course I was wrong as my wife is Thaï. Sorry, I am not used (yet) with forums.

See you.

Totoche

Oh, this is like watching that wonderful Thai TV, why does everyone want a gun. If you love guns so much, live in the USA, Cambodia, The Philippines or Saudi Arabia.

Do you feel threatened moving to another country and not having a gun, or do you generally feel "safer" carrying a gun?

Where did you read anything about "carrying a gun"?

He said on the post that I got that he wanted to have one for sport,which includes popping a few caps at a range,,I enjoy doing that,it is a form of competition even if you are only scoring again yourself,You know,a form of recreation, ,some folks enjoy that sport the same as some others enjoy going into a cow pasture and hitting a little ball and chasing it just to hit it again,ya know "cow pasture pool".

Some people collect guns, and never fire them,I myself own some guns that are old,owned by my dad and left to me that have never been fired since they left the factory,a lot of people collect and own them because they like guns,not because they are "afraid" as you seem to think.

Do you happen to like or collect anything just because you happen to like what ever it is?,I know of car collections that the cars are never driven,just collected.

I know of another guy that collects orange juicers,you know the kind that you cut an orange in half and twist it on a knurled/ribbed cone in the center,he collects them ,admires them and can tell you where he got each one,how much he paid and what it is worth in a catalog he has that only lists the orange reamers.He got hundreds of them,and not because he is afraid of anything,just likes em.

So I don't think that it shows to much personality for a person to refuse leeway to another for his personal idiosyncrasies.

You will be able to get yearly married or yearly retired visa extensions,pobly best to get a non"O" from the consulate or embassy where you now live before coming,then just go to Thai immigration when you have been here a couple of months,before 90 days anyway and get it started.

welcome to the forum<I see that you made a post as I was writing this one.

Do you happen to like or collect anything just because you happen to like what ever it is?,I know of car collections that the cars are never driven,just collected.

I know of another guy that collects orange juicers,you know the kind that you cut an orange in half and twist it on a knurled/ribbed cone in the center,he collects them ,admires them and can tell you where he got each one,how much he paid and what it is worth in a catalog he has that only lists the orange reamers.He got hundreds of them,and not because he is afraid of anything,just likes em.

Quite so but how many people have you heard of being bumped off by an orange juicer?

Remember people, orange juicers don't kill people, people kill people.

Quite so but how many people have you heard of being bumped off by an orange juicer?

Now that you mention it,Only one,a lady whose husband had been out drinking late the night before came into the kitchen for breakfast and said something she didn't like,so she grabbed the juicer and bashed his head in,killed him deadern ######.

But how many serious collectors have you ever heard of that kill someone with one of their collected guns?Or run over someone with their collected cars.

Just that you folks weren't raised with guns allowed to you,you could never hunt or use a gun for a legal purpose.

If we wanted to go kill a deer,we got our license and tag,got our gun off the wall and went and shot a deer,brought it home and ate it.

If you wanted a deer,you got a stick or a bow and arrow and went into the forest,killed a deer and before you could get it home,the sheriff of nothingham would have you by the ass for killing one of the earls deer or rabbits,and they would take you to the tower and if robin hood didn't save you,then they cut your ###### head off.

If we wanted to catch and eat a salmon,we got our fishing gear, went down to the river and caught one,took it home and ate it.

If you wanted a salmon,you went down to the earls river and caught one of his salmon and on the way home the sheriff of nottingham got you by the ass,,,and same as happened in the deer paragraph.

difference in being raised in a democracy and a monarchy,they never afraid we gonna revolt,so we had guns.

Plus I and thousands like me own guns,we are legal and our guns are for the most part legal and registered with the US gov't BATF.

I have owned guns all my life and have shot thousands of rounds of ammunition for sport, competition and combat ,I have in my collection about 35 boxes of German ammo in 8mm parabellum 16 rounds to the box,boxed in 1943 for P38 Walther mfg. date 1943,which I also own. 1 M1 garand rifle,never fired and a 1000 round box of 30/06 Ball ammo in stripper clips,case never opened,

I have never shot at or killed anyone unless I was being fired upon by an enemy or in a firefight . But there is no way that the average trooper knows who will reap the profits of his labor ,but just to know that a rotten bastard like you do get some good from what I have done,does in fact make me ashamed.

With the electrical products sold here, and the home wiring to be commonly found here, I'll bet electrical appliances, including juicers, kill MANY people here each year :o:D

but just to know that a rotten bastard like you do get some good from what I have done,does in fact make me ashamed.

I bet you wish you had lost now don't you?

I mean up to your neck in mud, bullets and orange juicers for ingrates like me.

Still got you out of the house though.

but just to know that a rotten bastard like you do get some good from what I have done,does in fact make me ashamed.

I bet you wish you had lost now don't you?

I mean up to your neck in mud, bullets and orange juicers for ingrates like me.

Still got you out of the house though.

Well no, not really.When we should have lost was in 1918 or 1945,and you would now be wearing Jack Boots,but the freedom loving American gun nuts bailed your country out both times.

[some nasty stuff directed at Maerim deleted]

Edited by chanchao

Very true. People kill people, but the availability, or lack, of efficient tools makes killing on a whim possible, or not.

I own firearms, both here and in the UK, but I remain strongly pro gun control.