Linpus Linux Be Comes Preinstalled In Some Acer Laptops

Weezaalinux

but no comments or usage reported. recommendations are for other linux distributions.

is Linpus Linux BE being over written by linux users and other distros installed?

is it this

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linpus

distribution or does the BE mean it is a different distro?

I want to test it out but the download.iso at distrowatch is quite oldish at 2005/09/22.

Edited by Weezaalinux

Linpus is useless and I think the only purpose is that it enables Acer to claim the PC is sold with a OS. Anyone actually wanting to use Linux on it would be recommended one of the main distros such as Ubuntu, Debian or Redhat.

I will recommend Fedora or Suse as this are very complete distributions and also use the rpm software packing system. Linplus BE also uses this rpm packing system, it is therefore more likely that drivers needed by your notebook work with other rpm distributions.

Are you more into discovery the unknown, you can try to install the latest distribution of Ubuntu, and install a software package called "alien" which lets you translate rpm into deb packages.

Actually it appears the Linpus is Fedora based, thus making it Red Hat-tish. Nevertheless, I think it is great that a company is selling a product that is not pre-installed with MS Windows. It blows that one must indirectly pay for MS Windows (when buying a notebook PC) even if they do not plan to use it.

wasnt so keen to dismiss a linux distro that I suppose must be able to support all the hardware currently on a currently available acer laptop so asked the acer service depo for a CD copy of linpus and they said "no have, our dealers usually install windows XP for the customers so we dont need to do repairs on the OS". on insistence they directed me to the pirate shops. not hopeful of finding a linpus copy there though.

so perhaps it is a matter of trying the package manager to do updates as suggested above before partitioning the disk and installing something of choice in a new partition.

as for not giving the money to M$ , it seems to be replaced by acer giving the money to linpus as linpus is said at distrowatch, to be a commecial edition . also think acer being taiwanese-chinese chooses linpus for its chinese character ability.

have seen some other laptop brands advertised with Freedos as the installed software without linux or windows, may look further into that option. good to see other manufacturers are dumping M$ as well.

Edited by Weezaalinux

You did not get any CD's with your notebook? For Linpus this is seen as a commercial distribution as it is only sold together with hardware (computers). Acer one of the worlds largest notebook manufacturers is sponsoring this Linux distribution financial and with know-how.

There is nothing wrong with this distribution, surely if you not into wanting the latest/newest stuff. On the downside Linpus is a distribution that runs on any processor better then the first Pentium. People who want to use the power of todays processors are better of running distributions as Ubuntu 32 or 64 bits or the latest Fedora 7 distribution.

I have a notebook running Linux (Fedora Core 6) and in fact it is the best thing you can run on a notebook. It connects to any network around the world, no net to worry about security, spyware or virus.

To write letters or do some spreadsheet work it has a good Office suite, which is able to export to Adobe PDF files and email directly.

Edited by Richard-BKK

You did not get any CD's with your notebook? For Linpus this is seen as a commercial distribution as it is only sold together with hardware (computers). Acer one of the worlds largest notebook manufacturers is sponsoring this Linux distribution financial and with know-how.

There is nothing wrong with this distribution, surely if you not into wanting the latest/newest stuff. On the downside Linpus is a distribution that runs on any processor better then the first Pentium. People who want to use the power of todays processors are better of running distributions as Ubuntu 32 or 64 bits or the latest Fedora 7 distribution.

I have a notebook running Linux (Fedora Core 6) and in fact it is the best thing you can run on a notebook. It connects to any network around the world, no net to worry about security, spyware or virus.

To write letters or do some spreadsheet work it has a good Office suite, which is able to export to Adobe PDF files and email directly.

no disks, I am a prospective customer casing the market. the acer agent I spoke to also didnt have any of these elusive little linpus beasts even though they had numerous acers on display.

Aside:

can you easily connect to edge/gprs with any network in thailand with your fedora? my current laptop wouldn't install fedora due to low ram I presume. but knoppix5.1.1 does let me install AND connect to AIS GPRS with just a few clicks?

are you able to install the knoppix package 'gprsconnect' to fedora or Ubuntu?

I had a GlobeTrotter 3G EDGE PCMCIA card before, with this card it was easy to connect to any GRPS or EDGE network. I not use this card anymore as, EDGE or GPRS is almost useless in Thailand. (But that has nothing to do with Linux)

I agree that Fedora is a bit heavy on computer specs, but I was for about one month ago still happy with one Pentium 3 1400Mhz and 384MB running Fedora Core 6. This computer has now been replaced by a Core2 Duo.

To talk about easy, Ubuntu 7.04 and Fedora 7 make it again easier to use Linux

I had a GlobeTrotter 3G EDGE PCMCIA card before, with this card it was easy to connect to any GRPS or EDGE network. I not use this card anymore as, EDGE or GPRS is almost useless in Thailand. (But that has nothing to do with Linux)

I guess it depend on what you are using the EDGE connection for. I am able to see value in approx 3 baht an hour on package connect anywhere on AIS, both for use on my phone and on my laptop using my phone as modem. admittedly one has to learn the tricks to get value. on the phone if the page doesnt download within 20 sec, do a reconnect which takes about five seconds. am using operamini.com on my phone and it is great for lying in bed and reading the news, checking email, browsing forums, ect. but yes if you were doing derivative trading or lightning chess you would be pulling your hair out. when i need to do other things like big file downloads or need a speed connection, there are many internet cafes available.

• 1 year later...
Well I have purchased a new PC and XP is running in my PC. I want to install linus on my system. Can anyone tell me please about system configration where i can intall the linux..

====================================

jasso

Used Apple Mac Laptops

PClinuxOS is vary much xp like in feel with the kde desktop and you can play the livecd and try it without installing it to your system.  after running it a few times and spending some time at the forum learning a few steps you'll be installing it in no time.

you can check them out at www.pclinuxos.com

• 2 weeks later...