Where Can I Buy Lard In Thailand

Hi,

In Bangkok, lard is readily available at Villa Markets at a price it's easy enough to render pork fat to make your own as has been mentioned. With the temperature in Thai and the humidity it becomes very soft for pastry making (other than Hot Crust ) and nixing 2 parts of rendered lard with 1 part coconut oil, available in just about any market produces a much firmer "lard" a much better product for this country.

Suet is only obtained in any quantity from around the kidney of beef or lamb, usually needs to be ordered from your beef supplier. It can be shaved or grated and used as "Atora" but you have the slight problem of the stringy membrain running through it. A better way is to render it gently, pour off, and when cold and solidified, either grate or if you have access to a mincer then mince it. it's what British housewives did before the war when most didn't go out to work. The reason that suet is used is because it melts at a higher temperature than other cookin fats, allowing steamed puddings etc. to rise to their wonderful fluffy state before the fat melts and "sets" the puddings.Hope this helps.

Regards

Mick Towers

Yes it did help. Thanks mick I have ordered the fat from around the kidney I hope he understood.

Edited by Buckwheat
Email address removed

Hi,

In Bangkok, lard is readily available at Villa Markets at a price it's easy enough to render pork fat to make your own as has been mentioned. With the temperature in Thai and the humidity it becomes very soft for pastry making (other than Hot Crust ) and nixing 2 parts of rendered lard with 1 part coconut oil, available in just about any market produces a much firmer "lard" a much better product for this country.

Suet is only obtained in any quantity from around the kidney of beef or lamb, usually needs to be ordered from your beef supplier. It can be shaved or grated and used as "Atora" but you have the slight problem of the stringy membrain running through it. A better way is to render it gently, pour off, and when cold and solidified, either grate or if you have access to a mincer then mince it. it's what British housewives did before the war when most didn't go out to work. The reason that suet is used is because it melts at a higher temperature than other cookin fats, allowing steamed puddings etc. to rise to their wonderful fluffy state before the fat melts and "sets" the puddings.Hope this helps.

Regards

Mick Towers

Yes it did help. Thanks mick I have ordered the fat from around the kidney I hope he understood.

JR Texas: I have a picture of lard, but do not know how to post pictures. It is brick size, clean, white/cream colored, and has texture of hard butter. It is not liquid. Is the lard you are talking about the same? Can you buy this in Thailand?

Edited by Buckwheat
Email address removed

The 'Lard of Choice' for Mexican cooking in USA -- sold in 4 gallon buckets in any store that caters to the ethnic Mexican crowd.

JR Texas to Jazzbo: That really looks like it to me.....if you take off that wrap it looks whitish and similar to butter.......right? If so, where can you get it in Thailand? One person said those packets of yellow-looking piss that hang in the markets in the hinterlands is "lard," but does not look like it to me. Maybe liquid vs. solid here..........I am looking for the stuff that is similar to Crisco......but better for Mexican food......you know. Wish I could post a picture of it......maybe I will finally take the time to figure it out.

• 11 years later...
On 6/11/2007 at 9:13 AM, gennisis said:

The lard will be the fat layer ontop of the jelly.....tasty on toast

Fat from roast beef, chicken and turkey when cooled down, we Brits call dripping. Delicious, both fat and jelly on toast with pepper and salt. My Thai nephews go mad for it at Christmas. Hard luck this year. I won't be doing the Christmas dinner! I brought back Atora beef suet from UK this year. and a bag of sausage skins. No problems. Regarding the bags of pork fat hanging in the market, my wife wouldn't let me buy it, saying you don't know what they put in it. Over twenty years ago I tried to get beef kidney fat from Foodland in Pattaya. The butcher said 'mai mi.' There was a farang manager there and he wrote down what I wanted and told me to show the butcher. No problem. It's beef kidney fat as pointed out on this forum. I cut it up and get it very cold and put it through the mincer sprinkling a bit of flour on it as it comes out. The result is much the same as Atora suet. When my son comes in I'll get him to take a photo of the instructions to the butcher, I still have it after all these years, and post it. 

Edited by Gandtee
added word
  • Like 1

Shop bought lard is likely to be hydrogenised and so unhealthy. Homemade lard may contain unknown substances but at least it is available. We buy a few kilos of belly fat once a month and make our lard, I can recommend it.

• Like 1