Foreigner's In Ubon Ratchathani

MarcoH

HI Folks

It took long time for me to find here, but better later than never :D

I have live up here now arround 7yrs and well, could not be happier. Of course in Town as every one know's has nothing to offer for Foreigner's but there im trying to get so improvement for that as i know that there is many of us living in and arround Ubon town (We living 40Km out).

I saw that KK have lot of activities and I think we can start that as well, if you are willing get u from your favorate couch time to time :D (I have bumb already in my Couch :o )

Me and my lovely wife have been marriged now almost 7yrs and we are traveling quite much,specially in Weekend's as she have off from her study(Pharmaceutical Science)

And for you guy's in KK, well done and as me and my wife visiting in KK time to time (To Uni there) i will drop by some of your meeting places and i try to keep up your topic's in here.

until next time folk's

-Marco-

I'd like to find out more about Ubon as my girlfriend is from there. When she goes home she heads out to Phibun and then to some small village called Ban Saymoon. It must be really small because I can not find it on any map so far. Do you have any idea where Ban Saymoon is located?

Looks like you have one of the first web pages from there. I don't know if you have a way to post more pictures but would I would like to see more.

kenk3z

HI Mick, ok i know Kosa building or i think i know, is it close to Sofitel hotel...?

yeah 10pin is what i mean,,is it good one?

Mick, in KK you also have Go kart track? As im Finnish from Orign, i do drive Kart as well,,,so maybe some day will be there.....

Kenk3z

You havent been here yet? Ubon is actually BIG city, with not so much activities yet, we have "some" night life entertaiment complex, but as you know "adult" one's, actually we have one big So called Disco built just few mths ago and as i havent been inside yet i can say is it good or bad...

Regarding Phibun,,, anything around Phibun is small, but let me see what i can find abt Saymoon as i find my maps!

If nothing else, i can check with my "uncle" who works in Immigration office in Phibun.....Good to have cousin's in every depatment......

then about picture in my web page, i will post as soon i can have them separated and some how organized.

and finally, if you know some of your friend's who are living this direction pls spead the word so some day FC-Ubon Foot ball team can come to KK and beat you guy's...... :o

keeping touch

-Marco-

Hi Marco,

No I have not been there yet. But I know she may drag me out there someday if the relationship develops further. She said something about having to take a bus to Phibun and then a songtiew truck for another 30 minutes. She said everyone is poor and farmer. :o

I took her on a bus trip up to Lop Buri because I wanted to see the old ruins there. She was really fascinated by the little hills you see up there about 150 km north of Bangkok. I'd like to show her the more hilly country sometime around Chiang Mai. I get the idea she has never seen anything but flat land.

Are you still working or retired in Ubon?

kenk3z

Hi Marco,

No I have not been there yet. But I know she may drag me out there someday if the relationship develops further. She said something about having to take a bus to Phibun and then a songtiew truck for another 30 minutes. She said everyone is poor and farmer. :D

I took her on a bus trip up to Lop Buri because I wanted to see the old ruins there. She was really fascinated by the little hills you see up there about 150 km north of Bangkok. I'd like to show her the more hilly country sometime around Chiang Mai. I get the idea she has never seen anything but flat land.

Are you still working or retired in Ubon?

kenk3z

Hi Kenk3z

Yeah, this part of TH is rather flat,regarding BAn Saymoon, it is realy small community on the way to KhongChiam, witch is birder town between TH-Lao, nice place we where there in one nice Spa-resort last weekend.

You know in this part of TH is one of the poorest part in TH, and future more we had now last 2 yrs worst flood's in years, i think last yrs water rise up more than 13meter's. :o

actually 30min buss drive is short,,you should see the road's :D , i mean i drive MPV,and if im behind truck, well it will be 50-50 if i can take over safely,,,,+ holes in the road,,,but it's fun to drive,, most important here is that horn in the car works well :D

Hey come one, im only 38yo, I working in the cruise ship's as Security Managers and worked last 20yrs....maybe retire when my wife get here Farmacy licence.....

-Marco-

Well, forgive me because I have questions. :o

1) How are you doing in the heat? I mean, coming from Finland it must be a big change.

2) Let us know of anything you think we should see near Ubon. I already think I want to see Wat Phra That Nong Bua that is north of town. It looks unusual compared to other Wats in Thailand.

3) Where do you cruise from? Have to go back to Finland or something closer?

Sorry about the questions, I want to hear how you manage to live in Ubon.

:D

kenk3z

Well, forgive me because I have questions. :D

1) How are you doing in the heat? I mean, coming from Finland it must be a big change.

2) Let us know of anything you think we should see near Ubon. I already think I want to see Wat Phra That Nong Bua that is north of town. It looks unusual compared to other Wats in Thailand.

3) Where do you cruise from? Have to go back to Finland or something closer?

Sorry about the questions, I want to hear how you manage to live in Ubon.

:D

kenk3z

Kenk3z

Dont worry mate as as much you want,,, i just have try to find answer's,,,,LOL

Heat??what heat....I have build our house in European Style with only one (1) Aircon unit in the master bed room, we usually use it ones maybe twize a year....when temperature rising up to 45-50 celsius, but during normal warm days we use only fan's,,,i dont know why but my body has adabt really nicely and of course im swetting like,,p...g ahhhh alot, but that is just normal and good for our bodies, but when it comes to heat well it is just around and do not bother me much, im working outside and well some time hot some times not, but what every you do out side always drink enough (water).....

Yes im Finnish, from born, havent live there around 16yrs now,,, have been living around the Europe and US now in TH it's actually big change since i lived in hot temperature last 12yrs....

War Phra That Nong Bua is onne of the unusuall land mak in Ubon, not so many tourist know about, if dont do advance study...if i recall correctly when i was visiting there last time, there is only 1 other in whole thailand (BKK,area)

well "Near" ubon, we have all usuall temples and nice water falls, and Prasat Pra Wiha, in kantaralak District...abt 120km from Ubon town,,,really nice place entrance fom Thailand and Temple is inside Cambodia,,,,(little bit walking tour, total walking sistance Two ways(in-out) 1897.84Meter's and this one is only inside temple..So get good shoes, and there is some steep steps as well so 4weel climing skills are advace..LOL

Ofcourse Ubon candle festival is MUST, one of the kind in Whole thailand venue start's in Asanlaha Bucha and Khao Phansa(Buddist Lent)day in July....

LAst 8yrs i have been cruising in South-East Asian and Around Australia \Tasmanian waters,from Singapore to Okinawa\Japan,,,my next Destination is to Alaska and Los Angeles, Mexico

I visited in Finland last time back in -97 march and it was cold so i dint feel like "home" there,, actually last 8yrs i havent been anywhere else exept here lovely Thailand....

I know many foreigner's getting boored rather fast since here is actually nothing to do, since no one has stared anything yet, and that's why im trying to get all Farang's in this area together atleast 1 time every month and do something,,,,many of us just stay home and drinking beer or going karaoke bar's,,,,well im not one of those, not that i dont like karaoke,, time to time it's nice and yes we going out, but as Im modifying car's adn doing lot of research in the net, my days are flying also i do keep my house, some what condition......

Kenk3z,,,where r u now and from?

do you have any plans to hit in this way?

-Marco-

:o

I'm in the area of Washington DC USA.

I don't really know if or when I'll ever get to Ubon, but I'm going to visit BKK and Phuket in September. So from where I am now, that is heading your way. But a miss by about 900 kilometers? :o

If you want a pretty good map of Ubon and all around, start with this link:

http://www.nexus.net/~911gfx/mapnd4802.html

These are some old (1973 era) maps scanned into digital files. If you like them, I recommend you save them to your computer. I don't know how long they will be kept available on the Internet.

kenk3z

I don't really know if or when I'll ever get to Ubon, but I'm going to visit BKK and Phuket in September. So from where I am now, that is heading your way. But a miss by about 900 kilometers? :o

These are some old (1973 era) maps scanned into digital files. If you like them, I recommend you save them to your computer. I don't know how long they will be kept available on the Internet.

kenk3z

Kenk3z

Thnx for maps, but they are nicely protected,,,,,for copying..

ok DC is far but when ever you might come to this direction give me a Buzz..

-Marco-

• 1 year later...
I'd like to find out more about Ubon as my girlfriend is from there.  When she goes home she heads out to Phibun and then to some small village called Ban Saymoon.  It must be really small because I can not find it on any map so far.  Do you have any idea where Ban Saymoon is located?

Looks like you have one of the first web pages from there.  I don't know if you have a way to post more pictures but would I would like to see more.

kenk3z

I am building a house just outside Ban Saymun and go there every month. It is a tiny community and very friendly, only 5mins from Phibun (by pickup). Let me know if you want more info, and by the way what is her name ? My GF must know her...

Hi PhibunMike,

I sent you a reply with name details by PM. She is now my wife and so I am sure to be required to come to Ban Saymoon some day. :o

Although I live outside the DC metro area, the wife is not too homesick because she is able to watch a few Thai TV channels via the free Intelsat 5 programming. And she has a good calling plan from ThaiTel - plus there is a 4-monk wat within a 20 minute drive.

The major stress on her system was coming to Virginia in early February with the cold weather. But within a month she had adapted pretty well and of course now its "too hot".

We may be out that way in a year or so.

kenk3z

These are some old (1973 era) maps scanned into digital files.  If you like them, I recommend you save them to your computer.  I don't know how long they will be kept available on the Internet.

kenk3z

Kenk3z

Thnx for maps, but they are nicely protected,,,,,for copying..

ok DC is far but when ever you might come to this direction give me a Buzz..

-Marco-

Hi,

Ken>> If you look at this map (on the site you gave) :

http://www.nexus.net/~911gfx/vietnam/maps/...3/nd48_03f.html

- you will see Ban Hua Don. Just to the left is another circle indicating a village, but with no name - that is Ban Say Mun.

Marco>> Yes, copyrighted and protected - but not "nicely". Instead of trying to same the image, save the page (File > Save As in Internet Explorer) and the JPG file will be saved to your hard disc. Of course, I do not advocate copying copyrighted material, I only bring to attention this security flaw as you mentioend you are a security officer... :-)

- Mike

• 3 months later...

Hi Mike

I think we met at your home a few weeks ago. This is Richard and Tai. We are now living in an apartment in Bangkok but Tai is pretty unhappy and so I think we will be trying to find some land to buy in the village and do the same as you.

I tried to call your Singapore number today but you're probably in Ubon for the weekend. Our number here is (0)2651-3019. I will be in New Zealand this week but back in BKK next week. I will try to give you a call.

I need your advice on how to even begin looking for land or a home in Tai's village. I presume it is all word-of-mouth rather than through a Real Estate Agent as we would know it?

Take care

Richard

Hi Marco, there are a few expats in the Khemmerat (sp) area on the river/border.

One is tv member from Oz, I'll let him know about your post, he's in Aus at present on holiday. :o

---------

note to rdhames: NEVER, NEVER......... live in the same village as your wife's family.

Hi Marco, there are a few expats in the Khemmerat (sp) area on the river/border.

One is tv member from Oz, I'll let him know about your post, he's in Aus at present on holiday.  :o

---------

note to rdhames: NEVER, NEVER......... live in the same village as your wife's family.

Udon

Yes i know Sezzo, very well, good Bloke.

he is coming back in Jan, if i remember right.