Bangkok Airways Open In Koh Samui

sbk

KOH SAMUI, Thailand: South Korea’s Lee Sung blasted a last-hole birdie to maintain a narrow one-shot lead as darkness halted the Bangkok Airways Open second round yesterday.

Lee, who is deaf and turned pro in 2000, continued his drive for a maiden title after a two-under-par 69 for a two-day total of seven-under-par 135 at the scenic par-71 Santiburi Samui Country Club.

Play was suspended at 6:40 pm because of darkness and will resume at 6:50 am on Saturday. Filipino Marciano Pucay, Kao Bo-song, Ty Puekdang and Troy Kennedy of Australia will continue play on Saturday.

Local favourite Chapchai Nirat ended his round with seven birdies for a new course record of 64 in joint second place, beating the 65 set by compatriot and defending champion Chawalit Plaphol in 2005. Also in tied second position was Taiwan’s Lin Wen-tang who shot a 67 in the 300,000-dollar event.

“I was very happy with the way I ended the round as my chip-in left the ball two feet away for birdie,” said Lee, who communicates with his caddy brother by lip-reading.

“It was crucial as it gave me a one stroke lead over the other players. I am enjoying myself out there and I always like playing on this course.” S.S.P Chowrasia of India carded a 66 and leaped to tied fourth spot alongside Singapore’s Mardan Mamat who posted a 65 and Australia’s Adam Blyth, who shot a 68 to lurk two strokes off the pace.

Thailand’s Thaworn Wiratchant shot his second straight 69 in tied seventh spot alongside Neven Basic of Australia who improved with a 67. Defending champion Chawalit Plaphol carded a 67 with a 140 total in joint 12th place. (AFP)

Source: Gulf Times