Fishing Andaman Sea

eyespan

• 3 months later...

I had a good fishing trip in PhiPhi,Tarutao and then Similans about 4 years ago.With a longtail boat from PhiPhi we took 1 sailfish and a king mackeral both days.Plenty of sailfish leaping around all day but not biting the hook./Small size but good fun.Tarutao I only tried trolling metal spoons while a longtail was running to snorkelling spots, I think some small queenfish and longtoms.

Similan was great.Casting spoons from the campsite beach at dawn before anyone else was around.Some big blue fin trevally and small giant trevally.Im not sure if you are allowed to fish there with a rod and line anymore?

Koh Tao here in the gulf has fair numbers of sailfish and marlin pretty much year round but again small size.Fishing here has been difficult this year.Perhaps due to the commercial trawlers who disregard the 3 kilometer exclusion zone around the island in favour of what looks like a 30 meter limit.Bottom fish especially the trevally family have been hard to come by in recent months.Just noticed a pair of boats this evening working together dragging a huge net between them in front of Chalok ban kao bay.Way less than 1km out.Who cares?

Only expereince i have had fishing in the Andaman was a bit of squid fishing with the locals at Krabi. Managed to negotiate a few hours after sunset and had a great time , only cost me a few hundred baht .

Oh well, i have always been an estuary fisherman since a little tacker so don't know alot about game fishing. Last few years before I came to LOS took about saltwater fly fishing , mostly for Australian Salmon. They have the nickname in South East Aussie of 'poor man's gamefish'.

Anyone fly fish here? I get the strangest looks from the locals and results have been so so . Also, anyone know any locals with advice or fly making skills(freshwater) . My tackle box is full of Tasmanian flys :o

If you can make the flies 350 then it's just a matter of modelling them on the insects in the area you are gonna fish in. If you can't then I'm sure you would be able to get a book on the subject either off the net or the next time you visit Oz.

• 4 years later...
Anybody done any fishing around the phuket or tarutao areas recent? Wonder if Phuket still lives up to "sailfish capital of the world" :)

Plenty Sailfish round Rach Yai & Racha Noi off Rawai/Chalong best time Sunrise and 16.00-Sunset they are mainly in Schools sunning on the surface and playing with Baitfish fairly hard to catch but you will have great sport when you hook into these Jumpers and boy do they jump.

Occasional Large Sails further out and the odd Marlin or Two still to hook up with one here not from lack of trying even bought a purpose built Ausie Alluminium 6.2M Centre Console to chase the blighters. Will try again next time home in Rawai Mid May. Tight Lines